Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe Irish property prices will cool off soon?

Options
  • 23-06-2018 6:21pm
    Site Banned Posts: 30

http://bit.ly/2JZsupx

According the the central bank governor, Irish property prices will cool off soon. So you believe this?

I do. The fact that I have a noticed a of properties around North Dublin are not selling, I think this is a sign that the asking prices of reached a ceiling due to the limits mortgages. There isn't a credit bubble this time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

DevLit wrote: »

According the the central bank governor, Irish property prices will cool off soon. So you believe this?

I do. The fact that I have a noticed a of properties around North Dublin are not selling, I think this is a sign that the asking prices of reached a ceiling due to the limits mortgages. There isn't a credit bubble this time.

Not a chance. In the long term yes but can't see it happening anytime soon. Wait until they start relaxing the lending rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

When high rise apartments start going up in the city the outer suburbs - leixlip commuter town types will either level off and further on they will drop I reckon.

They still arnt building (even though the figures say they are) I drove by a fire today lucky for Leo Varadkar it was in a big empty field that he built 300 pretend social houses in. Just beside Kilmore there off the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

DevLit wrote:

While there is a shortage of supply versus demand, property prices will continue to rise. Not until the homeless crisis has been solved will property prices begin to plateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

DevLit wrote: »

Upper end might be experiencing a slowdown but the middle and lower end certainly aren't.

That article points out it'll happen 'over time' as supply comes on stream. We're three years away from that as a minimum I'd say.

Donutz wrote: »
    While there is a shortage of supply versus demand, property prices will continue to rise. Not until the homeless crisis has been solved will property prices begin to plateau.

Most people who are homeless won't be impacting property prices. We could easily see the housing slow down and homelessness remain a problem. Social housing needs to be built to alleviate that issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

martyoo wrote: »
    Not a chance. In the long term yes but can't see it happening anytime soon. Wait until they start relaxing the lending rules!

The Central Bank are suggesting they are going to increase banks capital holding ratios- in order to mitigate against the 'First Time Buyers Grant' and any other mayhem the government decide to impose/continue to impose on the market. Its not that lending rules are going to change- its that capital gearing ratios in the banks themselves- are going to get tighter........... Its a case of more than one way to skin a cat- same desired outcome- however, without having to deal with the fallout of whatever spin the government decide to put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

The way I see it, the 2 main criteria analysts are predicting will cool the market down are 1) a rise in ECB base interest rates and 2) an increase in supply.

Regarding 1) , recently they have announced no change to the base rate until at least summer 2019. ( https://www.ft.com/content/453ca6bc-753e-11e8-b6ad-3823e4384287 )
    Jens Weidmann, the Bundesbank’s president, reiterated in Paris on Thursday morning that’s the ECB would keep interest rates at their current record lows “at least through the summer of 2019”
    Even then it looks like increases will be slow and gradual to avoid shocking the Eurozone:
    “We will remain patient in determining the timing of the first rate rise and will take a gradual approach to adjusting policy thereafter,” the ECB president said in a speech in Sintra, Portugal.

Regarding 2) , with the government fudging the figures on actual completions ( https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/house-hunters-will-now-find-it-even-harder-to-get-a-mortgage-warns-esri-37025688.html ) the ESRI is predicting < 19,000 completions this year of the 35,000 we need annually to meet demand. This figure should increase year on year for the coming years but most analysts think it will be 2021/2022 before we hit 35,000 completions.

So based on above, my prediction is that prices in urban areas where demand is highest will continue rising for at least 3 years. Maybe not at the double-digit % rates they have been, but they will continue to rise. I also predict it's going to take longer to sell properties as affordability impacts the market because of these increases. I think I read 70% of properties in Dublin sell in under 4 months. This will likely increase to 6-7 months.

Just for the record- the theoretical 35k unit completions- is to clear 'pent-up-demand'- its not a consistent need- and the country as a whole would be destroyed if we did manage to ramp up production to 35k units- as we'd not ramp back down again- we'd go on another party like we did last time round.

Most commentators are a lot more comfortable with a figure in the region of 24-25k units- and even that would have to be cyclical- its not a consistent demand level. If we have 19k completions in 2018- actual completions- its not what we need- but its heading towards where we need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I agree with the last 2 posts in this thread and I would like just to add that prices will start falling from the 1 of January 2020, indeed this is the date in which the stupid first time buyer grant will finish.

I hope the government won't introduce any other stupid grant, that the ECB lending rules will remain the same if not a little bit stricter and why not a small rise in the interest rate to reduce the current prices...add to it a 25K units built every year and we're good...now back to my beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I still think no. Supply is short in major urban centres. Though how short is up for debate. The population is expected to grow by 1 million in the next 30 years. These people have to live somewhere. Just because a lot of people on here want a crash doesn't mean there will be.

As an anecdote (which this forum seems to love over actual stats), I attended a launch of the first phase of new builds in my area. I was 16th in the queue with 12 houses available. The first 8 houses sold before people even saw them. It is mental out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

Most people who are homeless won't be impacting property prices. We could easily see the housing slow down and homelessness remain a problem. Social housing needs to be built to alleviate that issue.

I agree that homeless people won't be getting mortgages and buying houses but if the government and local authorities continue to fail in the building of new social housing units, homeless charities and local authorities will continue to purchase properties that are for sale.

Surely that has some impact on property prices.

I agree that homeless people won't be getting mortgages and buying houses but if the government and local authorities continue to fail in the building of new social housing units, homeless charities and local authorities will continue to purchase properties that are for sale.

Surely that has some impact on property prices.

A tiny impact maybe, but the homelessness issue will not be solved by buying up units, they just don't have the funds to buy enough units.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

alwald wrote: »
    I agree with the last 2 posts in this thread and I would like just to add that prices will start falling from the 1 of January 2020, indeed this is the date in which the stupid first time buyer grant will finish.

I hope the government won't introduce any other stupid grant, that the ECB lending rules will remain the same if not a little bit stricter and why not a small rise in the interest rate to reduce the current prices...add to it a 25K units built every year and we're good...now back to my beer!
    I am willing to bet the first time buyer grant will make absolutely no difference whatsoever to prices when (if) it goes away.

Not sure I buy into this notion that it drove prices up. They were going up regardless, it's basic supply and demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

awec wrote: »
    I am willing to bet the first time buyer grant will make absolutely no difference whatsoever to prices when (if) it goes away.

Not sure I buy into this notion that it drove prices up. They were going up regardless, it's basic supply and demand.

They may have driven prices up, but absolutely no hope prices drop by 20 k on the 1st of Jan 2020. Developers have that built into their margins for the foreseeable so cheers fg for ****ing us all on that one. Clowns.

They were going up indeed, however, prices went up very quickly as soon as this scheme went live.
    In fact a number of new estates raised their prices immediately after this scheme was announced which had a knock on effect on the second hand market.

On top of that this scheme helped a lot of first time buyers, who didn't have the deposit, to enter the market for a new build/house which drove demand up at a time when supply was very low - this factor also contributed to the current high prices.

They were going up indeed, however, prices went up very quickly as soon as this scheme went live.
    In fact a number of new estates raised their prices immediately after this scheme was announced which had a knock on effect on the second hand market.

On top of that this scheme helped a lot of first time buyers, who didn't have the deposit, to enter the market for a new build/house which drove demand up at a time when supply was very low - this factor also contributed to the current high prices.
    But would they have went up very quickly regardless? Probably.

Absolutely not, I was monitoring some new estates and prices went up as soon as this ridiculous scheme was announced - It was madness.
    I strongly believe that without this scheme we would have early/mid 2017 prices now instead of the current prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I do expect slowdown myself, but by meaning slowdown I mean price increase will go below 10% a year. But saying that it will fall?  With a so much growing demands of living space in places like Dublin area it really can't happen without major economy crisis.

Regarding Grants for FTB, it maybe extended, or otherwise new schema's introduced.. Anyway this is not the biggest driver. Biggest one is LTI constrain. 3.5 LTI is extremely tight. If the property price stabilize, central banks can go easily  to 4.0 or so to increase demands. Even 4.0 LTI is tight. 

Now 25K unit build a year, in Ireland? I believe that's way to little to solve the property crises. 25K would be probably enough only for Dublin and commuting area to solve its crisis. Just by looking at demographics, we can expect big growth of students leaving their parents home.. Many heading to the cities, and other more student concentrated areas.. Adding more pressure on the rentals, meanwhile this will attract big investors for BTL, leaving even less supplies for FTB.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/ireland-population/

RTE surveyed numerous developments around the country. The 20k was incremented onto the asking prices overnight in most cases. It was a pure sop to developers- but sold as a 'help' to first-time-buyers. The real help for first-time-buyers- was the lower deposit requirement (compared to other buyers)- not the 20k that was incremented onto asking prices...........

RTE surveyed numerous developments around the country. The 20k was incremented onto the asking prices overnight in most cases. It was a pure sop to developers- but sold as a 'help' to first-time-buyers. The real help for first-time-buyers- was the lower deposit requirement (compared to other buyers)- not the 20k that was incremented onto asking prices...........
    Well speaking as a first time buyer I have to say you are wrong.

We bought a house this year. Without HTB it would absolutely not have happened for another year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Well speaking as a first time buyer I have to say you are wrong.

We bought a house this year. Without HTB it would absolutely not have happened for another year or two.

Is that not exactly the point that The Conductor and the previous poster was making? Without the HTB you would not have had the deposit and would thus have been one less household causing immediate upward pressure in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Not sure the central bank can be considered reliable yet. Especially when they have just released that statement. Housing policy still very short sighted. Id like to say im waiting for the next housing buble to go pop before i buy but cant see any cooling in the next 3 to 4 years unless a hard brexit has any impact, unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

DevLit wrote:

What do you mean by not selling?

Many properties north & south are getting above asking price. You could see a for sale sign on a property for months but it doesn't mean that it's not selling

Rothmans wrote: »
    Is that not exactly the point that The Conductor and the previous poster was making? Without the HTB you would not have had the deposit and would thus have been one less household causing immediate upward pressure in the market.
    Ok, so I guess if you're looking at it from the point of view of wanting fewer people buying houses and more people stuck in the rental market it's bad.

Easy enough to say when you already own a house I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I didn't see price crashing in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Not until the homeless crisis has been solved

By "homeless" do you mean people staying in bnbs/hotels paid for by the state (funded by the working man, who has to actually pay for his house) or people sleeping rough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Ok, so I guess if you're looking at it from the point of view of wanting fewer people buying houses and more people stuck in the rental market it's bad.

Easy enough to say when you already own a house I suppose.

I'm currently trying to buy myself, so I understand the difficulties.

The point is that it is better that supply meets demand in a natural graduated fashion, rather than the government suddenly throwing 20 grand at a large cohort of buyers, causing a sudden jump in demand, in a market where supply is the issue.

I don't think anybody here would have a problem with Government interference in the housing market if it actually alleviated some of the pressures. However, every time the Government has interfered, they have made a dog's dinner of it, leaving the public (or at least those of us wanting to buy a home) even worse off than if the Government hadn't tried to 'help' at all!

Rothmans wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to buy myself, so I understand the difficulties.

The point is that it is better that supply meets demand in a natural graduated fashion, rather than the government suddenly throwing 20 grand at a large cohort of buyers, causing a sudden jump in demand, in a market where supply is the issue.

I don't think anybody here would have a problem with Government interference in the housing market if it actually alleviated some of the pressures. However, every time the Government has interfered, they have made a dog's dinner of it, leaving the public (or at least those of us wanting to buy a home) even worse off than if the Government hadn't tried to 'help' at all!
    Lovely pie in the sky stuff though.

I am sure there are hundreds, maybe thousands of home owners right now who would not be home owners were it not for the HTB grant.

So while it's not perfect, "dogs dinner" is a bit OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Lovely pie in the sky stuff though.

I am sure there are hundreds, maybe thousands of home owners right now who would not be home owners were it not for the HTB grant.

So while it's not perfect, "dogs dinner" is a bit OTT.

Unless it created housing supply all it did was change who owns houses not add to it.

Advertisement