Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlady not returning deposit

Options
  • 23-06-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has been in the same position as me and might be able to give me some advice.

So myself and my husband have had to move from our apartment because the landlady is selling the place. We moved out the 31st May and handed the keys back to the letting agents on the 1st no problem. Now however we cannot get the landlady to return the deposit to us. Ive contacted the letting agency and was told the landlady promised to return it the week of the 12th of June yet still no sign of it. I contacted them again this week and was told that the landlady is now not answering their email, calls or texts.

I have asked the letting agents to tell her I do need it asap as our rent for the new apartment is €500 more expensive than the old place and I really need it to help pay This months rent. As for paying rent in the old place we were always on time as it was paid by direct debit on the same day every month and never contacted her only to inform her of black mold and when the couch broke.

The apartment is now online to be sold so its not like it's waiting to be cleaned/painted. And as previously mentioned, she has said she'll return it, she just still hasn't....Also in fairness to the letting agent I'm dealing with she is trying everything to help get the money back.

Has anyone raised a case with RTB or been in a situation like this before? All help appreciated!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A large number of cases in the RTB are about deposits. Get a complaint in straight away. Do it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

4ensic15 wrote: »
    A large number of cases in the RTB are about deposits. Get a complaint in straight away. Do it online.

Yeah I was thinking I should get it in asap. I suppose I best get onto the letting agent to get the landladys details....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Find out when she’s having a viewing and stand outside with a sign telling folks what she did.

Doing the above makes your problem her problem and you’ll find your problem gets solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Go to the RTB. Don’t do the above as it could be considered harassment and go against you.

Thanks. I'll get on to the letting agent and get the landladys details I need to raise a case. It just angers me so much that she won't return it and is ignoring the letting agent. We were perfect tenants and she always got her rent, never once was it late over the 3 years we were there, its just pure greed.

• Advertisement

The agent won't give you details. Make the complaint!

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The agent won't give you details. Make the complaint!

Oh I'm 100% making the complaint but in order to raise a complaint I need her details from the letting agent and they have to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

They more than likely won’t provide it without express permissiOn from ll. In your case it sounds like the agency is acting on ll behalf so put down their info.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Fol20 wrote: »
    They more than likely won’t provide it without express permissiOn from ll.

I would be surprised if the letting agent decided to risk a complaint to the PSRA for the benefit of a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Graham wrote: »
    I would be surprised if the letting agent decided to risk a complaint to the PSRA for the benefit of a landlord.

From first hand experience, I had a problematic tenant years ago where I was worried what he would do if he knew my address. At the time I was out of the country and the agency had called me as he was asking for my address. The agency knew my address however they were calling for permission to reveal it. In the end I provided my solicitors address for any formal contact.

• Advertisement

Mkelly1989 wrote: »
    Oh I'm 100% making the complaint but in order to raise a complaint I need her details from the letting agent and they have to provide it.
    What more information that you need than you already have? You have the address of the rented property the start and end dates of the tenancy and the rent amount and deposit amount. Also you have the agents contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Would her details be on the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Was in a similar situation in the past having problems with the deposit. After a month of getting oto the landlord i told him it was unacceptable esp since rent was always paid on time and since the same coursity wasnt returned I was getting in touch with the PRTB. They paid very fast after the mention of the PRTB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Catlady76

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has been in the same position as me and might be able to give me some advice.

So myself and my husband have had to move from our apartment because the landlady is selling the place. We moved out the 31st May and handed the keys back to the letting agents on the 1st no problem. Now however we cannot get the landlady to return the deposit to us. Ive contacted the letting agency and was told the landlady promised to return it the week of the 12th of June yet still no sign of it. I contacted them again this week and was told that the landlady is now not answering their email, calls or texts.

I have asked the letting agents to tell her I do need it asap as our rent for the new apartment is €500 more expensive than the old place and I really need it to help pay This months rent. As for paying rent in the old place we were always on time as it was paid by direct debit on the same day every month and never contacted her only to inform her of black mold and when the couch broke.

The apartment is now online to be sold so its not like it's waiting to be cleaned/painted. And as previously mentioned, she has said she'll return it, she just still hasn't....Also in fairness to the letting agent I'm dealing with she is trying everything to help get the money back.

Has anyone raised a case with RTB or been in a situation like this before? All help appreciated!!

I'm in the same position with my LL not returning 1k so I have taken a case out with the RTB it does take a long while to even be looked at nearly 3 weeks so its not a quick solution. You could send a solicitors letter to the LL to see will that spur her on. Threshold have good advice too.

Was in a similar situation in the past having problems with the deposit. After a month of getting oto the landlord i told him it was unacceptable esp since rent was always paid on time and since the same coursity wasnt returned I was getting in touch with the PRTB. They paid very fast after the mention of the PRTB

I wish my LL was the same I told her that I was taking a case with the RTB she laughed at me and said bring it on so I went ahead with it as it was €1000 she is claiming that my cats wrecked the house hence why she is not returning the deposit but the house was in tatters before we took it on and she never maintained it so I am disputing that. She said she got a quantity surveyor in and he told her all the flooring was to be ripped up, I have asked for a copy of the report but she refuses to send it to me.

3 weeks and still nothing. Are you serious? Ill raise it when im home from work tonight so. I have a friend who's a solicitor I might ask her for advice about getting a letter too. What a joke. This is exactly why half my wages are going into a savings account for a mortgage deposit.

3 weeks and still nothing. Are you serious? Ill raise it when im home from work tonight so. I have a friend who's a solicitor I might ask her for advice about getting a letter too. What a joke. This is exactly why half my wages are going into a savings account for a mortgage deposit.

We just moved home with parents so that we can continue saving for a deposit, being 2nd time buyers we need a good chunk. The house we rented was in bits never maintained and even other landlords that where in the house who were friends of mine said it was a disgrace. I heard from previous tenants that she does this all the time keeps the money & wont return it I think I am the first who has taken it further with the RTB. The RTB is the step there before going legal it does take time some LL will settle before it gets to RTB hearing but mine wont.

Advertisement