Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network

• 23-06-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I’m at the tail end of refurbishing a house in Dublin, I have ran 1nr data point to tv locations (4) and also 2 coax to each. 2 ceiling data for WiFi.

All data and coax runs to central location, with power close.

I did some research at the time and this was what I went with. I have an ok understanding of networks, but I’m having trouble figuring out what I need, and what I can do with it regarding tv’s etc.

Can anybody lend their experience for where to go from here?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

dermob wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I’m at the tail end of refurbishing a house in Dublin, I have ran 1nr data point to tv locations (4) and also 2 coax to each. 2 ceiling data for WiFi.

All data and coax runs to central location, with power close.

I did some research at the time and this was what I went with. I have an ok understanding of networks, but I’m having trouble figuring out what I need, and what I can do with it regarding tv’s etc.

Can anybody lend their experience for where to go from here?

Thanks

A lot will depend on how you wish to receive your TV. Will you be using a pay provider like Sky or Virgin or do you want a free to air system like Saorview with Freesat?

For example I wired a house last year in a similar fashion. Two coax to each TV point, all coax connected into a 5 x 16 multiswitch that combines free to air satellite and Saorview.

Each TV point also has two Cat 6 cables with only one connected into a 16 port rack mounted gigabit switch. I also ran Ethernet cables in the ceiling intending to install Ubiquiti Access Points but I have not yet installed these and the occupants are happy enough with the WiFi as is.

You will definitely need an Ethernet switch at your central location as a starting point.

Really you have myriad options once you decide what type of system you want. There are people on the HTPC forum who are doing all their TV distribution over Ethernet so that is also something to consider.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭dermob

A lot will depend on how you wish to receive your TV. Will you be using a pay provider like Sky or Virgin or do you want a free to air system like Saorview with Freesat

For example I wired a house last year in a similar fashion. Two coax to each TV point, all coax connected into a 5 x 16 multiswitch that combines free to air satellite and Saorview.

Each TV point also has two Cat 6 cables with only one connected into a 16 port rack mounted gigabit switch. I also ran Ethernet cables in the ceiling intending to install Ubiquiti Access Points but I have not yet installed these and the occupants are happy enough with the WiFi as is.

You will definitely need an Ethernet switch at your central location as a starting point.

Really you have myriad options once you decide what type of system you want. There are people on the HTPC forum who are doing all their TV distribution over Ethernet so that is also something to consider.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

Ideally I’d like saorview, freesat, and a paid provider if it was possible. If not then it would be a paid provider and saorview

Wasn’t aware of this I’ll look into it!

What would you recommend for a setup?

Ideally I’d like saorview, freesat, and a paid provider if it was possible. If not then it would be a paid provider and saorview

Wasn’t aware of this I’ll look into it!

What would you recommend for a setup?

It is possible to have all three but it complicates matters somewhat. I can really only speak for satellite and all new Sky installs are Sky Q I believe, which is technically a different system than the one used for Freesat. You could request a hybrid LNB at installation. This would require two cables for the main Sky Q box and you would then have four other legacy outputs for Freesat. All the cables would need to be brought from the dish to your central location and I'm not sure if a Sky installer would be willing to do this so it may be left to yourself to do. Adding Saorview to this is technically possible but messy requiring combiners.

A more expensive option is a dish with a quattro LNB and an aerial for Saorview. Four cables from the dish and one from the aerial fed into a dSCR multiswitch. The outputs from the multiswitch can be either Sky Q or legacy Freesat and the terrestrial Saorview signal is carried on the same cable. The Saorview signal is then split from the satellite by special diplexer wall plates.

The disadvantage to the second option is that you would have to purchase everything yourself, dish, LNB, multiswitch etc and pay a third party for installation unless you could do it yourself. As far as I know Sky will not undertake installations like the above.

http://www.triax.uk/products/satellite/multiswitches/dSCR-multiswitches

http://www.freetv.ie/sky-q-multiswitch/

These are just two options and there may be others I have not thought of. Maybe post on the Satellite forum if you decide to go the satellite route.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Thanks Navi,

The install and set up with your suggestions would probably go over my head.

I can run saorview and a paid service simply enough with what I have, I think I’ll stick to that, as I don’t watch a huge amount of tv. Should be enough.

So I just run all data back to a switch and patch to whatever modem comes with the paid subscription? This should allow all tv points to have wired data for Netflix etc, and keep WiFi for peripheral devices?

Thanks Navi,

The install and set up with your suggestions would probably go over my head.

I can run saorview and a paid service simply enough with what I have, I think I’ll stick to that, as I don’t watch a huge amount of tv. Should be enough.

So I just run all data back to a switch and patch to whatever modem comes with the paid subscription? This should allow all tv points to have wired data for Netflix etc, and keep WiFi for peripheral devices?

No problem.

Yes, connect a LAN output from whatever router you get with the broadband service to any port on the switch or a network point connected to the switch and the switch will enable wired data for every point that is connected to it. Once the cabling is terminated correctly it is simply plug and play.

Get a gigabit switch btw. It doesn't need to be managed.

• Advertisement

Great, hoping it would be that easy.

Is there a switch that you would recommend?

Great, hoping it would be that easy.

Is there a switch that you would recommend?

I have a couple of TP-LINK switches and they have worked well for me. If 8 ports is enough something like this should be fine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-8-Ports-Ethernet-Wall-Mounting/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1529868757&sr=8-10&keywords=gigabit+ethernet+switch

You could get one with more ports if you felt the need obviously.

Perfect, I’ll see how I get on. Thanks

Advertisement