Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat is dead.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I'm a dog man at heart,.. always had/have a dog....
    Tho secretly I think cats are cool, sneakily funny and crazy like coconuts :)
    Sorry for your loss op...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Never understood how some people can get so attached to animals whilst they happily eat cows, chickens, lambs, turkeys etc. A next level of hypocrisy. Not a vegan by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sorry to hear OP.

I wasnt a cat person at all until 4 years ago. Cats to me were always semi-wild scoundrels that only came for food then buggered off.

4 years ago a cat strayed in and gave birth to a kitten in the house. That kitten is now a part of the family, as much as any dog I ever had. She comes when called, loves to play, thrives on attention and handling and comes in every night at the same time as if she had a watch. I love their peculiar nature, sometimes so independent and distance often times affectionate and great companions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sorry to hear OP.
    Lost many pets over the years, it never gets any easier.
    Its like losing a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had two cats, about a year ago one of them came back covered in mud, presumed he had been in a fight, he was a cross cat that loved to be fed but would tear your eye out if you wanted to pet him. Anyway he disappeared about a week after that and was never seen again.
    My other cat disappeared early December, he was old and very friendly so he was missed.
    16 years OP was a good stretch, the cat will be missed but he had a good life no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    I had two cats, about a year ago one of them came back covered in mud, presumed he had been in a fight, he was a cross cat that loved to be fed but would tear your eye out if you wanted to pet him. Anyway he disappeared about a week after that and was never seen again.
    My other cat disappeared early December, he was old and very friendly so he was missed.
    16 years OP was a good stretch, the cat will be missed but he had a good life no doubt.

You need a cat Robert! And a cat needs YOU ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

I lost one in February that I'd had for sixteen years. We also knew there were health issues but could never imagine he's pass over The Rainbow Bridge.

It sounds like Humphrey passed over asleep in his basket in the comfort and safety of his home.
    Console yourself with the knowledge that he didn't suffer and is free from any harm that could happen in this world.
    Comfort yourself with the memories of the good life you clearly gave him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Never understood how some people can get so attached to animals whilst they happily eat cows, chickens, lambs, turkeys etc. A next level of hypocrisy. Not a vegan by the way.

Research has shown that animals (as a rule) that eat meat inherently avoid eating other meat eaters. Biologically this has health benefits in that it helps prevent the spread of prion and other diseases (note - there are some noted exceptions). Farmed animals are generally herbivores such as you detailed eg. cows, chickens, lambs, turkeys

Societies where the farming or consumption of other meat eaters such as dog etc are in the minority.

In the case of humans we have lived and co-depended with companion animals since the dawn of time. Dogs have aided humans in both hunting and farming - and in similar roles which continue to this day. Cats help control vermin in both domestic and agricultural situations - these animals have always been valued for their skills and one to one interactions with humans.

So no there is NO hypocrisy. Only that imagined by some extremist vegans imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

DEFTLEFTHAND, you have my heartfelt sympathies. Losing an animal that is so much part of your life is always hard.

I lost my beloved dog a couple of months ago and I'm still not quite over it. She left a big gap in my life, so I know how it feels.

I still have a cat (currently sleeping on the couch) which adopted me a few years ago. He is young, so I hope I'll have him for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

Even thinking back to yesterday. We had roast beef left over in the fridge, I gave him a couple of slices and he went mad eating it. Jumping up onto the table and everything looking for more , he was in great form. I went over to a football match then in Thurles and never saw him again.

Poor young lad is crying his heart out at the moment.

We're going bury in our garden in his towl from his basket. Put a stone marker over it with his name.

When we lost our boy (18 months ago), on the day he died he was chasing quads up and down our garden wall.

I empathise with the young lad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Sorry for your loss op, it’s so upsetting. We lost our 10 year old bichon in October and I sobbed my heart out telling my niece. Kids are resilient though. Her answer was ‘we still have Bouncer’

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I had a family cat that lived to the age of 19, she was older than me when she passed. Very upsetting at the time!

It's perhaps too early yet, but do consider getting a kitten. It's always nice to have a cat around the place.

Sorry to hear that, OP.

I've a cat that followed me into work one day, skinny and howling. I found his owner but she died a while later and there he was again, waiting for me. I must look gullible. Now (Starvin') Marvin and I have an understanding: I love him, and he hates me, but he's one of the family now and that's that.

Leave it a few weeks, but let a little rescue creature fill the void and I'm sure your little guy will love to look forward to finding a new pet to join the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Candie wrote: »

Leave it a few weeks, but let a little rescue creature fill the void and I'm sure your little guy will love to look forward to finding a new pet to join the family.

That's what we done.

We thought we'd never replace Tigger, but we brought the dogs to the Vets one day for their annual check ups and the Vet mentioned they'd a few rescue cats looking for homes.

Went in and met Sammy, she caught our eye immediately and that was that, we had a new member of the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm genuinely sorry for you. I had a goldfish when I was about 6. It died in a few weeks. I've never been so upset since, I've never had another pet.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 30 DevLit

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I two cats aged 5 and 6, and I'm dreading when they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

What the actual fcuk, this man is mourning the death of his beloved pet and you have to say this, what benefit is that to anyone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

So sorry for your loss OP, our little cat died 2 years ago, we were devestated, we buried him in the back garden and I often think of him when I'm out there, he really was like part of the family, we got another little cat a year later and delighted with her but it truly is heartbreaking when they die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If cows, chickens, lambs, turkeys etc weren't suppose to be eaten they wouldn't taste so good :D

Now why not save that debate for another time, eh?.

Now that's out of the way (and I probably should have ignored it).

I bet everyone here gave their pets a little extra attention reading or replying in this thread.

Both my dogs have went through cancer treatments (successfully), but even their diagnoses was breaking my heart.

The cat is eleven and hardly has a tooth left in her mouth but never been sick or to the Vets for anything.

When my daughters hamster died a few months back it broke my daughters heart, and she's 22 (his name was Ollie). He's down in the pet cemetery in my back garden with a big Happy Buddha as a marker and under the shade of a lovely Japanese Maple tree.

She's got Harry now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I bet everyone here gave their pets a little extra attention reading or replying in this thread.

Yep! You are so right!

I realised early today that my big old boy cat had not budged all night. Had used the emergency tray but not eaten.. PANIC! He is a foodaholic.. nothing edible is safe from him.

And still curled up asleep..

Tempted him with a buttery finger then a saucer of catfood whereupon he left the premises... I realise now he is self -catering, living off the land..

But yes, the recent tragedy has heightened awareness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I had to leave my cat at the cattery cos I'm going away. Broke my heart to, especially as she's getting on.

House felt so empty without her last night. My heart goes out to the OP. Those little creatutes leave a big hole behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Shocking thing to lose an old pal all of a sudden like that. Magnificent creatures.
    They go rigid quickly enough and they can often be in the liveliest of form before they go, which adds to the shock feeling.
    I have to warn you that it will feel bad for some time. The upset doesn't evaporate quickly. Just focus on all the fun and they good ye did each other. Those memories are forever. Be careful where you seek solace as many who haven't experienced it won't understand.
    I, like you, buried out the back in a favourite lounging spot and that gave some comfort at least. They all have an individual personality and you will never forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry OP. I know it's not exactly much solace right now but he lived to a good age and perhaps better to go in his sleep than for you to have to make a tough decision some day.

We've two dogs and they're both 16, grateful they're still here yet hate having to see them get so old. They're in generally good health and still have all their teeth, but things can change very quickly at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sorry to hear that.

Had a great cat as a kid, from when I was a toddler to my mid teens and when died, I was devastated.

When our last cat died a few years ago, I was really upset too. Took her up to the moutains and buried her in a quiet, peaceful place. Took us a few years to even contemplate getting a new one but we got her from the DSPCA about 18 months ago and it's a great healer and lovely to have a cat around the house again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Always sad to loose a beloved pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm sorry for your loss, OP. Losing a furry, scaly or feathery life is the hardest part of pet ownership. I dread the day when I inevitably have to say goodbye to my kitty. As it happens, I had to euthanize my betta fish last night. He swam about happily for 2 years before getting sick this past month. I won't be getting another fish, but he was a good one.
    Best wishes to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Would just like to pop in again and thank everybody for their kind thoughts and messages. It's great to see that there is so many animal lovers on Boards. We're a great nation of pet owners.

We buried Humphrey up at the top of the garden last Monday next to Seamus another cat of ours who was killed on the road back in 2013.

They were great enemies in their time, used to fight like crazy, but now they lie proudly sided by side.

Thanks again everyone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

thought Cat Stevens was dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

squawker wrote: »
    thought Cat Stevens was dead

Nah he just found a girl and settled down.

Advertisement