Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in France

Options
  • 24-06-2018 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am hoping to move to France, Toulouse to be specific, and just have some questions about teaching over there. I have a Bachelor of Education and one years teaching experience here in Ireland. I have been researching international schools and they require a minimum of two years experience so that wouldn't suit. I then tried looking at private language schools and I just have a few questions about them.
    1. Would my Bachelor of Education be enough to teach in a private language school or would I be expected to do a TEFL course also?
    2. Would you be based in one particular language school or would you have to race all over the city to different schools to fill up your timetable and make a decent wage?
    3. The pay over there isn't great ( 700-1200 a month) . Is the cost of living in Toulouse quite low or will I be broke?

If you know anything about the above I'd really appreciate it . Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I spent over 3 years living and teaching in France. I was a language assistant in a vocational school and then I taught at a university for 2 years which was a much better gig.

Are you primary or secondary? I presume you are primary. Pay and conditions would be much better if you could get into an international school as a fully qualified primary school teacher.

Teaching EFL in private language schools is poorly paid and precarious. I never did it but it would be ok to supplement your earnings but not as a main income.

Rent, particularly in cities in the South of France, is quite high and you will pay a premium for a place that is furnished. Perhaps you are willing to share which will obviously lower your rent. I paid €600 for a studio and €800 for a one bed apartment in Bordeaux. In order to rent your own place in France as a non national, you need a work contract and ideally you need to earn 3 times your rent. Sometimes you can get around this, but not always in sought after locations.

Having said all this, there is nowhere like France and the South of France is stunning! If I could go back, I would! I also enjoyed teaching French people, they are easier to teach than other nationalities and have a great work life balance!

PM for any more info! Bon courage!

Advertisement