Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this fruit?

Options
  • 24-06-2018 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi,
    there was always a tree in my backyard and with my very limited knowledge i always thought it is a cherry tree. I could only guess because birds were at it and stripped of any fruits long before they were ready. This year we decided to hang some compact discs to scare birds away, which worked very well. Now we finally have some fruit but they aren't cherries..in fact i have no idea what are they. Can anyone help? I don't know should i hold on to them or take CDs off and let birds do their job. Here is the pic:

s!AtUlJo2KYvyc8SKP8dOvC0JcCU1N
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtUlJo2KYvyc8SKP8dOvC0JcCU1N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Yourmama wrote: »
    Hi,
    there was always a tree in my backyard and with my very limited knowledge i always thought it is a cherry tree. I could only guess because birds were at it and stripped of any fruits long before they were ready. This year we decided to hang some compact discs to scare birds away, which worked very well. Now we finally have some fruit but they aren't cherries..in fact i have no idea what are they. Can anyone help? I don't know should i hold on to them or take CDs off and let birds do their job. Here is the pic:

s!AtUlJo2KYvyc8SKP8dOvC0JcCU1N
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtUlJo2KYvyc8SKP8dOvC0JcCU1N

It looks to me like Juneberry (amelanchier lamarkii). Here is a video clip of a young one planted in my own garden. There are also a few related trees and shrubs that look similar in the amelanchier group. I have an amelanchier canadensis as well and I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the two.

Advertisement