Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi generator

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

demoreino wrote: »
    Hi all ,
    I see Aldi have small generators for sale from June 28th . Has anyone used these before , are they any good ? Are they fairly quiet ?
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    https://www.aldi.ie/workzone-inverter-generator/p/096344208706700

Noise level is measured in Decibels (dB). The Aldi generator sound power level is 95dB, the Honda EU20i is 89dB

Taking 70dB as a baseline, example a vacuum cleaner, 89dB is just under 4 times as loud and 95dB is about 6 times as loud.

To answer your question, the Aldi generator, when on power, would be about 6 times as loud as a vacuum cleaner, or about the same as a petrol engined lawnmower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

At 95 decibels, don’t pull up beside me when I’m away to relax on the campsite!

My portable twinset is quieter.

454119.jpg

Only 80dB! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I bought one from Aldi about 3-4 years ago and actually used it for the first time on the June Bank Holiday this year.

Mine is a 2 stroke, much lesser model than this 4 stroke (if you don't know the difference think noisy mopeds for 2 stroke) and we only had it on for herself to dry her hair when we had no hookup. As a courtesy I told our camping neighbours it would be on for 10 minutes.

I've no doubt this would do a good job but running a generator on a campsite for prolonged periods for powering the fridge etc is not really a runner in my book. Not least you would get fed up of the noise yourself but short term fine.

I spent less than €330 on this.

454300.jpg

<35dB.
    Fueled by sunlight.
    Smells better.
    Zero upkeep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Generally speaking , I would imagine that anyone using one of these would only do so when wild camping. So surely any one likely to complain like above wouldn't experience any interference .
    To respond to Niloc 1951 's comment above , if its as loud as a petrol engine lawn mower , it would surely only be useful for very short periods of time away from campsites or away from cranky wild campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I would imagine that anyone using one of these would only do so when wild camping.
    Isn't wild camping about getting away from all the noise...?

away from cranky wild campers.

:eek: We're not cranky! We do it to get away from curtain twitchers. I'll run solar powah to my neighbours so I can convince them not to run a genset. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

They must be huge to generate c 1 Kw. With the inverter rated at 1.2 KVA and a typical kettle rated at 1.7Kw there would be a shortage..............

265W solar.
    2.75kWh battery.

4kVA surge.

No shortage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

doolox wrote: »
    They must be huge to generate c 1 Kw. With the inverter rated at 1.2 KVA and a typical kettle rated at 1.7Kw there would be a shortage..............

Am I the only one who boils a whistling kettle on the stove in their camper?

Electric kettle in a camper? Madness IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Leccy is ok for small loads like tv's, lighting, water pumping, etc. etc. and can normally be covered by power from decent battery(s) charged either when driving or from solar.
    For heating and water boiling and cooking gas is best and by far the cheapest compared to running a generator.
    From a safety point of view carrying a supply of petrol in the motorhome is not the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know if these will do 120v as that is what my american boat runs

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know if these will do 120v as that is what my american boat runs

No:

"Equipped with 2 x 230v AC outlets and 12v DC outlet for battery charging"

Have you a centre tapped isolation transformer?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

Have you a centre tapped isolation transformer?
    Do you mean like a builders transformer?

Yes but not as primitive. Standard fitment to eliminate galvanic corrosion onboard. It'll be beside the incomer consumer unit if you have one.

If its centre tapped or 2:1 it'll convert 230Vac 50hz to 115Vac 50hz.

If you plug yer vessel into shore power on this side of the water then you can use a 230V genset too.
    I'd advise neutralising any genset you decide to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Jaden wrote: »
    Am I the only one who boils a whistling kettle on the stove in their camper?

Nope, not the only one! :cool:

Took me years to find a decent one, though.

And I do have a little electric one for when I have a free hook-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You need to be careful with electrical stuff in boats

Reason :

Don't do it right and the prop / leg may become live

This can paralyse someone swimming near it and drown them

You won't hear it - they won't be able to scream/shout for help

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

There really are no quiet generators available that I have seen. They call many things like "whisper quiet" and "silent running" but in reality you couldn't use them without disturbing the peace.

• Advertisement

Efoy are quiet.

Advertisement