Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hedges evergreen

Options
  • 24-06-2018 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi have Laurel planted for years.. Gone off them from an astectic point of view.
    Have a semi.. With a lot of neighbour windows to the rear looking into my back garden.
    Fence near 7 foot. I want to get 10 to 15 hedge type trees for one side.. that will grow 10 or 12 feet.. And that can be trimmed and won't get too wild... To provide a bit of cover for my garden.

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi have Laurel planted for years.. Gone off them from an astectic point of view.
    Have a semi.. With a lot of neighbour windows to the rear looking into my back garden.
    Fence near 7 foot. I want to get 10 to 15 hedge type trees for one side.. that will grow 10 or 12 feet.. And that can be trimmed and won't get too wild... To provide a bit of cover for my garden.

Thks

What about photinia red robin or viburnum tinus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just decided today to start a hedge on one side of my garden for a bit more privacy and this was recommended.

https://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/golden-privet---ligustrum-aureum/golden_privet

ETA- going to wait until late Autumn to plant it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thks

:eek::eek::eek:

Any need for that !! Its a Gardening forum FFS !!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hard to beat the Laurel imo. It’s hardy , great privacy and nice green all year round . Sounds like a lot work for aesthetics?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Assuming you have well in excess of 7ft of growth on the laurel, this is what I'd do...

Remove all side branches and leaves from the laurel for the first 6ft, and keep it trimmed at the top to only what you need for privacy. This will reduce the amount of water and nutrients the laurel takes out of the soil, which is critical to successful replacement.

At this stage you have a row of short laurel trees (standards, more or less) in front of a 7ft fence.

Then put in something that grows well as underplanting for trees. For this application I chose Eleagnus x. ebbingei. It supposedly grows eventually to 4m, but is less vigorous than the laurel and has a more dense, compact habit. There may be other good candidates but that's what I chose.

You'll need to mind the new plants because they'll have a harder time under the laurel than they would on their own, keep them watered and possibly fed, but don't overwater, use soil test kit before fertilising. Also, don't plant them too close the the fence, at least 2ft but preferably 3ft if you have space. You don't want them in a rain shadow.

When they get to a decent height, remove the laurel altogether and let them fill in the gaps.

This plan has the major advantage that you won't forgo privacy while the new hedge grows, but equally if it doesn't work out (or you change you mind) laurel regrows well after hard pruning. Or you may find that you like the new hedge as underplanting for the laurel.

My situation is the same except with Lleylandii rather than laurel. You think you have problems! I planted the Eleagnus last November, they survived the hard winter and are now growing slowly but steadily, quite low still but nice and compact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jellybear wrote: »
    Just decided today to start a hedge on one side of my garden for a bit more privacy and this was recommended.

https://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/golden-privet---ligustrum-aureum/golden_privet

ETA- going to wait until late Autumn to plant it though.

Any reason for that?

I plan to put in a hedge in part of my garden perimeter too, and was wondering if I was getting late for doing it. Thought summer would be best time to plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Now I'm no gardening expert, at all! I'm going my my dad's advice- he's a gardener.
    He advised planting late autumn or early spring.
    I'm going to weedkill the patch of grass first and I plan to buy bare root plants and as far as I know conditions in autumn are more favourable due to climate etc. I got the impression that it would be too hot to plant them now. The ground in my garden is extremely dry so they would need a lot more watering in etc. As I said, I'm no expert and others may have better advice for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Planting things in summer is like putting an ICU patient in a sauna.

Advertisement