Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipper+Beach

• 24-06-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭

What's people's go to chipper beside /near a beach

The one in howth is ok, bonus of literally beside pier/seats, but food average
    Then the one in Skerries is handy as down lane shortcut to beach/seats, food is good

Old thread had one in portrane as being nice and looks like its beside beach

Curious before herself drags me the one in howth, plus want to try something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Angelo's in Portmarnock almost opposite Lidl is amazing, although it's a bit away from the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Try Pippers in Portrane . Quality fish and chips by the sea ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Gonad wrote: »
    Try Pippers in Portrane . Quality fish and chips by the sea ..

Giant portions of fish as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The Village in Rush is just at top of Convent lane. There is a car park at end of convent lane for South beach, probably 2/3 minute walk. Genoa on upper main st near Eurospar is excellent with great portions also a short walk 5 minutes from South beach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for all the suggestions

Went to Pippers and got fish you need two hands for, good old fashioned chipper

I'll try one of the rush places the next time, hopefully be plenty more sunny days left

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions

Went to Pippers and got fish you need two hands for, good old fashioned chipper

I'll try one of the rush places the next time, hopefully be plenty more sunny days left

Great :) hope you enjoyed it

Gonad wrote:
    Great hope you enjoyed it

Sure did thanks again

Portrane beach is a hidden gem, just missing some benches, but there's a pipe thing you can sit on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Larry and Bimbo in The Van... Just watch out for the deep fried used pampers... They're only out during World Cups so yer in luck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭plodder

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Larry and Bimbo in The Van... Just watch out for the deep fried used pampers... They're only out during World Cups so yer in luck..
    I always wanted to try the Scottish deep-fried mars bar delicacy, but I don't think I could now after reading that.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

plodder wrote: »
    I always wanted to try the Scottish deep-fried mars bar delicacy, but I don't think I could now after reading that.

Ah sure, you might as well go for it. Feck all difference between them I'd say...

:p

• Advertisement

Was in Edinburgh and had deep fried Mars bar, taste is what you expected, won't be having one again sums it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Went to Pippers and got fish you need two hands for, good old fashioned chipper
    I'm not sure if it's still the same but the batter used to be way to thick in my opinion - more batter than fish. In saying that, I haven't eaten there since the 1990's when it was the small old place which was just a takeaway.

(PS - it's Pipers, not Pippers ;))

I'm not sure if it's still the same but the batter used to be way to thick in my opinion - more batter than fish. In saying that, I haven't eaten there since the 1990's when it was the small old place which was just a takeaway.

(PS - it's Pipers, not Pippers ;))

AH sure batter is nice, was more batter than fish, but not much more. One of those old school chippers you would want to stick to tried and trusted items(herself is fussy and said mince didnt look great on taco chips)

I blame EVERYONE else auto-correct leading me astray :p

Sure did thanks again

Portrane beach is a hidden gem, just missing some benches, but there's a pipe thing you can sit on

Next time try the garlic cheese chips . One portion is enough for 2 adults and also there 1/4 pounder and cheese is delish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Ask him for a Dunphy...

LeoB wrote:
    The Village in Rush is just at top of Convent lane. There is a car park at end of convent lane for South beach, probably 2/3 minute walk. Genoa on upper main st near Eurospar is excellent with great portions also a short walk 5 minutes from South beach

Went to Genoa with the aul pair today, fantastic food, service and price, couldn't finish it with the portion sizes

Next time I'll try village inn as easier to Park and walk up /back with food , just not open to 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The Village in Rush is definitely worth a go. The service can be a little slower than other chippers as they always do the chips freshly when ordered but they’re gorgeous.

Advertisement