Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's England's to lose.

• 24-06-2018 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone stop England now?
    They're in full flow and Harry is scoring for fun.
    Surely this is their time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Go back to the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Just wait til the quarter final when they meet Argentina and Messi punches the ball into the net to score the winning goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Argies in the quarter finals !!

Ha, now thats funny.

Just have to say, I don't think I have heard any of the English media or fans say they are going to win the WC. Its mostly Irish people saying that the English are saying it, and they aren't.

I actually think for once they have realistic expectations. They know they aren't going to win it. They know they have played 2 bucket sides so far and beat them easily, but I don't think they are getting carried away.

Considering the state of Irish soccer at present, we shouldn't be laughing at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

NIMAN wrote: »

Ha, now thats funny.

Just have to say, I don't think I have heard any of the English media or fans say they are going to win the WC. Its mostly Irish people saying that the English are saying it, and they aren't.

I actually think for once they have realistic expectations. They know they aren't going to win it. They know they have played 2 bucket sides so far and beat them easily, but I don't think they are getting carried away.

Considering the state of Irish soccer at present, we shouldn't be laughing at them.

https://twitter.com/5liveSport/status/1010989352485314561?s=19

One man isn't the English media.

Show me another few links and I'll believe you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Ha, now thats funny.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

One man isn't the English media.

Show me another few links and I'll believe you.

You said " I don't think I have heard any of the English media or fans". There is one example but I didn't realise you had a quota? Even so, look hard enough and you will find your own evidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tayto Lover, go back to your bag of crisps.

budgemook wrote: »

Read those headlines, they are saying things like "Believe", "Here We Go" etc, I don;t see any saying we will win the WC.

What do you think the Belgian, Spanish, Croatian papers are saying?

The English gutter press have a history of bumming up their national soccer team, with the express purpose of ripping the p1sh out of them when they don't win the tournament. That is what is happening here, but I definitely find that the English are a lot more subdued this year than they have ever been.

Just cos they stuff a bucket side today, we now have loads of Irish fans thinking the English are talking about winning the tournament when they aren't.

• Advertisement

LowOdour wrote: »
    You said " I don't think I have heard any of the English media or fans". There is one example but I didn't realise you had a quota? Even so, look hard enough and you will find your own evidence

Well obviously some English fans will be saying they are going to win it. There are numpties everywhere, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well obviously some English fans will be saying they are going to win it. There are numpties everywhere, obviously.

You have them backed, haven't you? :D
    I can sense it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Travis just said he reckons they could go all the way. That does it then, I'm sticking the house on it. Mind you.... This is a man who once pondered as to why did it always rain on him... You live in ****ing Scotland mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Ha, now thats funny.

Yeah but thats exactly why they are doing well because there is no expectations. There is a lot less pressure on this team than previous england sides at this stage .
    However the further they go the more the expectations will grow and pressure.

Yeah but thats exactly why they are doing well because there is no expectations. There is a lot less pressure on this team than previous england sides at this stage .
    However the further they go the more the expectations will grow and pressure.

They are doing well because they've played Tunisia and Panama. They had zero points after two games at the last world cup but they had played Italy and Uruguay - big difference!

That said I have a feeling they'll get to the semi finals.

You have them backed, haven't you? :D
    I can sense it.

Definitely not. I could never back them and then have to cheer them on.

Personally I think they will do a lot better than expected this time around. Maybe because expectations are so low?

They are now in the last 16, they play someone from Senegal, Japan, Colombia. On their day these teams wouldn't cause them too much hassle. At the WC, they might be 50:50 games. Depends how they play. With the likes of Kane upfront they will always have a chance. Once the knockouts start, games get tighter and its having the odd star player who might get you over the line. I think the toughest tie for England would be Colombia. If they get either Japan or Senegal I think thats England in the last 8.

Once in the last 8, it'll be likes of Germany, Brazil, Swiss, Mexico. Tougher for sure, but it just might fall lucky for them. You never know.

Hope I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any team so far who I think will beat England easily. Things might change of course, because the likes of Spain and Brazil have been playing against packed defences, whereas England will come out and play football and leave more space for the more technical teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

someone needs to lie down and lay off the booze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ha, now thats funny.

Beat them easily?
    Didn't it take a last minute goal to beat Tunisia?
    Quarters would be about right for them at this stage, but they seem to be a lot more likeable as a group than most England teams I will say.

Sorry, meant they won today easily.

And although it did take a last minute goal v Tunisia, they hammered them in the 1st half and should have cruised that game too.

I think they will make it to quarters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Belgium up next, if they can beat them then I'd say the hype train can begin, thumping one of the weakest sides in the competition isn't a big deal even of it's a nice feeling.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The hype train has been in full flow now for a few weeks. But it's a newer, cannier breed of hype than before. It's England World Cup Hype 2.0 - humility hype: "hey we're not that good, but because we can acknowledge that then maybe we can GO ALL THE WAY!!"

They - the media, the team themselves - aren't quite going around saying they're serious contenders, like they would have in the past. But if you look at the coverage - and there's been a lot of it - the charm offensive has been steadily motoring ever since the squad was announced, bubbling under without ever reaching critical mass. But if they get a result against Belgium, then the hubristic giddiness will commence, trust me. They just can't help themselves.

People seem fooled by the fact that it isn't the exact same type of hype that we've heard before. That doesn't mean it isn't still hype, just different this time.

The usual hype : look at our top players, playing in our top league and sure we invented the sport - we have to win.

This time it's a different breed of hyperbole: young fearless group, playing without fear, hungry to succeed, Southgate knows how to manage the group, he "gets" it, things are different this time, did you see that first thirty minutes against Tunisia? Did you see that first half against Panama? They're so likable and humble.

Coverage of the team in the English media is too optimistic. Constantly talking up how Southgate has established this idyll where the players play darts and hang out with the press. You'll find a lot of coverage tomorrow talking about England's great play against Panama, but not too much talk about how they've essentially performed well against two of the absolute worst sides in the competition and have proven nothing yet. And I'd wonder how much column inches you'll be able to spot talking about the squads glaring weaknesses - creativity in midfield? suspect central defence? - compared to all the words dedicated to the leadership qualities of Harry Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think their biggest problem is they don't get to play Panama and Tunisia again. They have a chance I mean Greece were the European Champions at one point......Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

I hope they win it cos I got them in the draw in work. :pac:

If they win it do you think they would finally fcuk up about the Hand of God and showing it at every possible opportunity?

If so, I'd cheer them on, cos 32 years of seeing that clip has worn me down.

England will eventually be undone by Kyle Walker playing out of position having left Eric Dier on the bench and Chris Smalling back in England.

Still find the decision to leave Smalling at home fairly odd - not only because of defending but would have been bound to score a winning goal or two during the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think their biggest problem is they don't get to play Panama and Tunisia again. They have a chance I mean Greece were the European Champions at one point......Greece.

Greece were ultra solid defensively. England aren’t. Walker isn’t a centre back, Stones is decent but error prone and Harry Maguire is bang average at best. A good attack will have a field day against them. In midfield, they’re woeful. Henderson is a nothing player and Eric Dier is pretty much the same. And their manager, for all the plaudits he’s getting now, isn’t good enough for this level.

I really want England to do well. It makes the tournament more interesting for us and my little boy has adopted them as his team but they don’t have the players and will get beaten by the better teams.

Their media have got a bit carried away with themselves. Gary Lineker describing the Tunisia game as exceptional was laughable especially given how bad Tunisia were on Saturday.

England will still do very, very well to get to the quarters. They won’t get past that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

What's the exact accusation here? That a country is getting behind their team and wants to believe they can achieve great things? What's wrong with that? Let them get carried away, let them dream, let them enjoy it. It's our problem if we consume so much English media that it grates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

nullzero wrote: »
    Belgium up next, if they can beat them then I'd say the hype train can begin, thumping one of the weakest sides in the competition isn't a big deal even of it's a nice feeling.

Belgium will probably rest players for the game.

Despite beating Tunisia and Panama (One of the worst teams I've ever seen in a World Cup) I believe that England will be beaten by one of the better sides in the knockout rounds as their defence just isn't good enough in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

NIMAN wrote:
    Definitely not. I could never back them and then have to cheer them on.

Why not? I gotta say i cringe when i see the faux hatred for England. The whole give us back our counties attitude that some use as an excuse to hate a country is just outdated. Dont get me wrong, i dont want england to win it either. But then again i dont want anyone who is not Ireland to win it. No difference if bits senegal brazil spain france or england.

That being said, england did try to downplay their chances this year. Until they named harry as captain. His first interview as captain he said "we can win the world cup" (i dont have a non sun link). The same day a couple of other players repeated he comments (cant remember who exactly and not easy finding it on my phone).

Since then we have had joe cole, frank lampard and a number of pundits claim they can win it. To say nobody has said they can win it is just wrong.

• Advertisement

One word

Henry

We give our about englands excuses such as the hand of god, ronaldo getting rooney sent off, the player they have set their hopes on getting injured etc.

But we are just as bad. Henry, saipan, we should have had a peno against mexico ffs. Our excuses and crying is worse than them. We were given an award to make us stop crying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's coming. You can feel it. That glorious moment where the time starts to slip away and the realisation sets in. Horrible inevitable defeat.

Their only exits that weren't utterly delicious were 1990 and 1996 because they got the opportunity to reasonably claim moral victories.

2016: Iceland, glorious. All the better after they scored the first
    2014: Put to the sword by the great Luis Suarez icon14.png
    2012: Pirlo's peno
    2010: 0 - 0 vs Algeria, Gareth Barry in slow motion, the Sun headline
    2008 (2007): Croatia rampant in Wembley
    2006: "Golden Generation", Eamonn Dunphy slaughtering Telegraph hubris, Rooney in tears
    2004: Went out in a magnificent game for the neutral against Portugal
    2002: Dat chip
    2000: 'Should Shearer be Captain?' Meanwhile Hagi and Romania were in the business of doing them
    1998: Revenge for the Falklands. Again. Glorious
    1996: meh
    1994 (1993): Actually robbed against Holland. Graham Taylor was far too classy a man for the British press
    1992: Tomas Brolin run wild
    1990: meh
    1988: and he stuck it in the English net

I look forward to the latest chapter. A result against Belgium will drive their expectations through the roof. They can't help themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Mr.H wrote: »
    Why not? I gotta say i cringe when i see the faux hatred for England. The whole give us back our counties attitude that some use as an excuse to hate a country is just outdated. Dont get me wrong, i dont want england to win it either. But then again i dont want anyone who is not Ireland to win it. No difference if bits senegal brazil spain france or england.

That being said, england did try to downplay their chances this year. Until they named harry as captain. His first interview as captain he said "we can win the world cup" (i dont have a non sun link). The same day a couple of other players repeated he comments (cant remember who exactly and not easy finding it on my phone).

Since then we have had joe cole, frank lampard and a number of pundits claim they can win it. To say nobody has said they can win it is just wrong.
    Saying you "can" win it and saying you "will" win it are two totally different things.

Mr.H wrote: »

Sorry but how is such a political issue as Northern Ireland being in the UK and having the island partitioned be dated? It's very much a very real issue and is coming to the fore again thanks to Brexit.

Either way I don't think most Irish people dislike England because of that.

It's because of the hype around them that has existed for years. Their confidence of winning previous tournaments but based on nothing as their football history is generally one of failure.

This time they've tried to be more low key but they just can't help themselves after a couple of wins.

Beating the might of Tunisia and Panama has kick started their hype machine again and I know it's going to end badly for them again as they will be found out by a more skillful team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I wouldn’t mind seeing England do well but I don’t think I could turn on Sky, BT or BBC for at least 10 years if they won it.

murpho999 wrote:
    Sorry but how is such a political issue as Northern Ireland being in the UK and having the island partitioned be dated? It's very much a very real issue and is coming to the fore again thanks to Brexit.

Yea its an issue in northern Ireland. But i dont live there. While there is still tensions it is nothing like it use to be. The war is over. Most of the typical Irish fans going around hating England because of the past. The over hype is just a secondary thing.

We thought we would never hear the end of it when England won the rugby world cup. We did. They moved on.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    1994 (1993): Actually robbed against Holland. Graham Taylor was far too classy a man for the British press

He was utterly awful as England manager. He dropped Gascoigne and played Carlton Palmer in midfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

If you dont want to hear/read about the English media hyping up their team etc...dont read or watch UK Sports papers etc

Its pretty simple!

The funniest thing is, majority slagging them off support English teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have you been picking up tips from the English media? Tunisia and Panama have both scored against them. Belgium will be a proper test for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

They played two mickey mouse teams that I would fancy Ireland against. Lets see how they get on against Belgium. This is however the first year I can remember in World Cup history where there was feckall expectations on this England team coming into it. That can only be a good thing for their chances.

major bill wrote: »
    They played two mickey mouse teams that I would fancy Ireland against. Lets see how they get on against Belgium. This is however the first year I can remember in World Cup history where there was feckall expectations on this England team coming into it. That can only be a good thing for their chances.

Belgium will not be the game to judge them on as it's not a critical game with both teams qualified.

They'll probably get to the quarter finals and then they'll come up against a tougher side like Brazil, Germany, Switzerland or Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I wouldn’t mind seeing England do well but I don’t think I could turn on Sky, BT or BBC for at least 10 years if they won it.

This exactly this ;)

However they have played nobody of note and will be found out just Russia currently are when they play a half decent side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

murpho999 wrote: »
    Belgium will not be the game to judge them on as it's not a critical game with both teams qualified.

They'll probably get to the quarter finals and then they'll come up against a tougher side like Brazil, Germany, Switzerland or Mexico.

Germany or Brazil have not looked good at all!

Germany or Brazil have not looked good at all!

They're better than Tunisia and Panama.

Germany had a massive win on Saturday that I believe will galvanise them.

They will get stronger as the tournament progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As a proud Irishman you should be boycotting foreign games channels.

Be funny enough to see them go out on pens again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Good chance to get to semis

After that, I'm not so sure.

It's a good world cup

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Be funny enough to see them go out on pens again

Meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I don't think any realistic English supporter (me included) think its theirs to lose. Belgium will be a real test for them.

Tunisia was a bumpy ride, albeit first match, Panama was somewhat easier :rolleyes: but the biggest difference I see in this world cup team is the lack of ego and the relaxed atmosphere within the team. That could be our biggest asset and is something we've not had for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I don't think any realistic English supporter (me included) think its theirs to lose. Belgium will be a real test for them.

Tunisia was a bumpy ride, albeit first match, Panama was somewhat easier :rolleyes: but the biggest difference I see in this world cup team is the lack of ego and the relaxed atmosphere within the team. That could be our biggest asset and is something we've not had for years.

I think that aspect is being overplayed to be honest (great atmosphere, lack of ego etc.). You’ll get whacked by a decent side and then it’ll be “why did Southgate play Kyle Walker and Harry Maguire at centre back”, “why didn’t he bring a proper midfielder”, “Kane is a flop coz he couldn’t do it against the big sides. No good only scoring against Panama and Tunisia.”

England are a mediocre side. Bad at the back, devoid of proper midfielders and good up top. No point being good up top of you can’t get the ball to them though and that’s what will happen.

Quarter finals at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I think that aspect is being overplayed to be honest (great atmosphere, lack of ego etc.). You’ll get whacked by a decent side and then it’ll be “why did Southgate play Kyle Walker and Harry Maguire at centre back”, “why didn’t he bring a proper midfielder”, “Kane is a flop coz he couldn’t do it against the big sides. No good only scoring against Panama and Tunisia.”

England are a mediocre side. Bad at the back, devoid of proper midfielders and good up top. No point being good up top of you can’t get the ball to them though and that’s what will happen.

Quarter finals at best.

Maybe, but I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts, glad you're not a pessimist :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement