Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's England's to lose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If england meet Colombia in the last 16 I reckon they will go out then. They have faced two teams that can't defend a set piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

France v Denmark.

That's 2 more teams that look like England would likely beat if they meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

They have a chance now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tomorrow night England V Belgium a game were both teams want to lose.

2nd in that group has this run
    2nd Round V either Japan, Senegal or Colombia
    Quarter Final V Sweden or Switzerland
    Semi Final V Spain/Russia/Croatia or Denmark

1st in that group
    2nd Round V Japan, Senegal or Colombia
    Quarter Final V Mexico or Brazil
    Semi Final V Uruguay/Portugal/France or Argentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Tomorrow night England V Belgium a game were both teams want to lose.

2nd in that group has this run
    2nd Round V either Japan, Senegal or Colombia
    Quarter Final V Sweden or Switzerland/Serbia/Brazil
    Semi Final V Spain/Russia/Croatia or Denmark

1st in that group
    2nd Round V Japan, Senegal or Colombia
    Quarter Final V Mexico or Switzerland/Serbia/Brazil
    Semi Final V Uruguay/Portugal/France or Argentina

Not sure why both would want to lose now.

1st looks more appealing

Realistically If I was an England fan I'd rather the potential of Uruguay/Portugal/France/Argentina ( None look great what soever so can't call who gets to the semi) than Spain or Croatia.

Think it all depends where Brazil Finishes on if they want 1st or 2nd. Avoid Brazil and they're looking great for a semi final on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm not overly impressed by Brazil at all. They've been poor enough imo.
    Why would anyone strive to finish second in a group anyway? Winning breeds a proper mentality so let the others fear you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Before the tournament I said I'd be shocked if the winner came from anyone outside Brazil, Germany, Spain and France. They've all been varying levels of shíte. I'd actually give England a chance now, there is no standout team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's coming. You can feel it. That glorious moment where the time starts to slip away and the realisation sets in. Horrible inevitable defeat.

Their only exits that weren't utterly delicious were 1990 and 1996 because they got the opportunity to reasonably claim moral victories.

2016: Iceland, glorious. All the better after they scored the first
    2014: Put to the sword by the great Luis Suarez icon14.png
    2012: Pirlo's peno
    2010: 0 - 0 vs Algeria, Gareth Barry in slow motion, the Sun headline
    2008 (2007): Croatia rampant in Wembley
    2006: "Golden Generation", Eamonn Dunphy slaughtering Telegraph hubris, Rooney in tears
    2004: Went out in a magnificent game for the neutral against Portugal
    2002: Dat chip
    2000: 'Should Shearer be Captain?' Meanwhile Hagi and Romania were in the business of doing them
    1998: Revenge for the Falklands. Again. Glorious
    1996: meh
    1994 (1993): Actually robbed against Holland. Graham Taylor was far too classy a man for the British press
    1992: Tomas Brolin run wild
    1990: meh
    1988: and he stuck it in the English net

I look forward to the latest chapter. A result against Belgium will drive their expectations through the roof. They can't help themselves.

I wish Ireland had a list of failures that long.

To all those who laughed when it was said England might actually be in the running to win this thing, was Germany one of the teams you said would destroy England if they met?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Grueller

To be fair to England they have been modest enough this time. However I spotted this survey on the BBC website. Expectations are rising due to tbe ctazy nature of the results in this tournament.
    I would have Croatia ahead by a long way but they are lagging a mile behind in the voting. They are not unbeatable, but are technically far superior to England imo.
    Edit to say it is a survey of who is expected to make the world cup final from Englands side of the draw.

You have to remember that the teams who can stop England getting to a WC Final come from:

Colombia, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, Croatia.

That's a scary prospect. On their day, England could beat any of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The problem with England is the media and it’s complete lack of class and determination to spin bs every step of the way. There doesn’t seem to be much of a middle ground; everything is brilliant or it’s awful. There is nothing genuine about them when it comes to their national team.

Their fans that go to tournaments come across usually as very arrogant and obnoxious.

There is very much still a class system in England though with football fans generally on the bottom rung of the ladder. In comparison, from watching cricket I think the media coverage and the fans come across much more likeable. I actually like the England cricket team and would support them in the Ashes.

I can imagine if they won the World Cup, not a game would pass without mention of it. Every time United play it wouldn’t be ‘Lingard’ anymore, it would be ‘World Cup winner Jesse Lingard’. Every time one of their players has a dip in form they’d say ‘he’s a World Cup winner, class is permanent form is temporary’ etc. Then they’d all have to have statues and stands named after them. Of course it’d be Sir Harry Kane playing for Spurs next year. It’d be unbearable.

To be fair to them, winning the WC would be a big deal.
    We'd do the same. And more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

You'd think Irish people/media never brought up the past the way we go on about the English and their references to former glories, controversies, etc...

Considering the shocks that the tournament has produced so far, though, the English media is getting ahead of itself. Yes, the path certainly looks easier, but I'm sure Germany, Argentina, Portugal and Spain thought they'd be OK for a little while! English team hasn't really been tested yet and anything can happen when it comes to the knockout phase.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Watching the BBC would be unbearable. Tuning into Sky would be unbearable. Watching the Premier League would be unbearable.

Guess what, they're all part of English media. It's theirs, not ours. I was watching the FA Cup final a couple of years ago, Crystal Palace vs Man United, and a few in the group were complaining about "that filthy national anthem" being played. You're watching the English cup final you absolute twonk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Colombia 1-2 Japan
    Colombia 3-0 Poland
    Colombia 1-0 Senegal

England will probably beat them and play the winner of Sweden and Switzerland, who I'd expect them to beat too.
    Then its onto the winner of Russia and Croatia (prob Croatia). So if England can beat Croatia, they're in the final against one of Brazil or France (or Belgium and Uruguay).

If they're gonna do it, it'll be this tournament.

They will never have a better chance you'd have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Unbearable to many it would seem but it's quite possible as I said in the OP.
    They are now one of the favourites and they have the youth and ability to go all the way.
    Have they the belief that's required? I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm waiting for them to beat a half decent team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I think Columbia will give that defence a run for it's money tomorrow night. They - and Pickford - certainly haven't been tested at all. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Do you consider Colombia decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

NIMAN wrote: »

Half decent, probably decent if James is fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Unbearable to many it would seem but it's quite possible as I said in the OP.
    They are now one of the favourites and they have the youth and ability to go all the way.
    Have they the belief that's required? I think so.

What would happen here if we did win it? The reaction of certain folk on here would be priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NIMAN wrote: »

Them beating Colombia would certainly be something to work with in terms of a good result, and a basis for thinking this side might be able to reel off a few wins in a row in games that count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Berserker wrote: »
    What would happen here if we did win it? The reaction of certain folk on here would be priceless.

Think you might be surprised by how many Irish would be alright with it. Listeni ng to the likes of Brady and Dunphy **** on good players like Kane and Sterling before the first match has made me want them to go far, contrarian that I am. Its coming home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

reel off a few wins in a row in games that count.

Them beating their opposition in the Group Stages got them to the knockouts. Those matches count, whether you like it or not. If they beat Colombia, they'll be denigrated too I bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I actually wouldn't mind if they won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Omackeral wrote: »
    Them beating their opposition in the Group Stages got them to the knockouts. Those matches count, whether you like it or not. If they beat Colombia, they'll be denigrated too I bet.
    Certainly would on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

England might get a few rounds further

But I just think there are too many teams who I would rate ahead of England.

Belgium, Brazil, France, and Uruguay.

Fortunately for England Brazil and Belgium will likely play each other in the QF

France and Uruguay play each other in the QF

I can't see England beating Brazil in the SF if it goes to form.
    I can see England sh*ting themselves and freezing under pressure.

But if they beat Brazil/Belgium (if it goes to form) in the SF fair play to them.

Semi-Finals at best for me.

Of course all these could be moot if Colombia/Sweden/Switzerland beat England.
    All those teams are capable of knocking them out on thier day.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

England might get a few rounds further

But I just think there are too many teams who I would rate ahead of England.

Belgium, Brazil, France, and Uruguay.

Fortunately for England Brazil and Belgium will likely play each other in the QF

France and Uruguay play each other in the QF

I can't see England beating Brazil in the SF if it goes to form.
    I can see England sh*ting themselves and freezing under pressure.

But if they beat Brazil/Belgium (if it goes to form) in the SF fair play to them.

Semi-Finals at best for me.

Of course all these could be moot if Colombia/Sweden/Switzerland beat England.
    All those teams are capable of knocking them out on thier day.

I can't see Brazil or Belgium beating England in a semi final when England would be in the other semi final, if they win tomorrow and win on their QF they will play either Russia or Croatia in the semi final

I can't see Brazil or Belgium beating England in a semi final when England would be in the other semi final, if they win tomorrow and win on their QF they will play either Russia or Croatia in the semi final

Jayus I have it @rseways so. :o

Re-evaluation needed so!

I blame the heat!

Jayus I have it @rseways so. :o

Re-evaluation needed so!

I blame the heat!

That is why everyone was saying it was good for England to lose that game V Belgium last week for the half of the draw they went into, top half was heavy loaded with the bigger nations

Pure genius by Gareth, making sure we didn't have to face Japan!
    :D

blueser wrote: »
    Pure genius by Gareth, making sure we didn't have to face Japan!
    :D

Just to clarify I did not thank the 'we' part just Gareth's obvious genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

As an Englishman this thread is providing almost as much entertainment as the World Cup 🀣.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I just hope we win tomorrow. It's proving really, really tricky to keep expectations down when you look at every team on this side of the draw. I've lumped on Croatia e/w but they looked so mediocre yesterday.

The team have brought loads of happiness and excitement across the country. The crazy weather is helping with that but there was such excitement across my office today as people started talking about the match and how the tournament is opening up. The 'IT'S COMING HOME' stuff has gone a bit viral on social media but I think most of it has been tongue in cheek.

Just one more win lads and then let's take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just hope we win tomorrow. It's proving really, really tricky to keep expectations down when you look at every team on this side of the draw.

Don't care how we win once we win. I'm dreading it to be honest. I hate these knockout games. We have a brilliant chance to progress to the later stages but we'll get dumped out if we are not at our very best. Get the impression that certain (media) folk think we can win this playing at less than 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Berserker wrote: »
    Don't care how we win once we win. I'm dreading it to be honest. I hate these knockout games. We have a brilliant chance to progress to the later stages but we'll get dumped out if we are not at our very best. Get the impression that certain (media) folk think we can win this playing at less than 100%.

Southgate certainly won’t think so, and that’s why you guys have a real shot in this tournament, no matter how many try to downplay it. Previous England managers would’ve been cocky with a draw like this, I don’t get that impression from Southgate at all. A grounded coach like him makes England a potentially dangerous side, even if he’s lacking a bit in experience and tactical ability.

It’s much easier to get behind this England side because they try to play decent stuff and aren’t brimming with arrogance. I hope they do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It’s a 50/50 game if James Rodriguez is fit. Not just if he starts, but if he’s actually fit.

Failing that, England should have enough to get thru, and either Sweden or Switzerland will revel in the disrespect that ensues.

But back to tomorrow, they’re two fairly poor teams and anything could happen. The Rodriguez situation is key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Colombia will win with or without James. England couldn't keep clean sheets against Tunisia, Panama and Belgium's B-side. Mina and Falcao to score, 2-0 the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've also backed 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

England to **** themselves yet again in a knock out match and Colombia to take advantage.

England 2 - 1 Colombia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

England one trick pony in Harry, if Rashford Lingard Sterling Vardy or whomever the supporting cast may be step up maybe England snatch this if James and Falcao both turn up Columbia will bang a few in, it'll be a high scoring game or a dreg of a draw with someone maybe smashing an injury time winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I can’t remember England having ever been this lucky in the teams they’ve drawn for qualification and finals. They’ve only faced one world class side and were beaten by them and even they had their B team out.

The side of the draw they’ve landed too is incredibly soft compared to the other. Very, very lucky so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Sun being dicks again, surprise, surprise.

https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/1014049647424430080

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just hope we win tomorrow. It's proving really, really tricky to keep expectations down when you look at every team on this side of the draw. I've lumped on Croatia e/w but they looked so mediocre yesterday.

The team have brought loads of happiness and excitement across the country. The crazy weather is helping with that but there was such excitement across my office today as people started talking about the match and how the tournament is opening up. The 'IT'S COMING HOME' stuff has gone a bit viral on social media but I think most of it has been tongue in cheek.

Just one more win lads and then let's take it from there.
    Excellent post there. I too hope we win tonight. It'll be tough, though. I'll take a scrappy, flukey 1-0 right now.

I got the cocaine reference but to say that the Sun was invoking the death of Escobar is stretching it.

Or if we are getting over sensitive, that Twitter only refers to the death of Escobar...does he not care about all of the other deaths linked to the drugs problem etc. etc.

I'm trying to see where the hilarious cocaine pun by the England captain is there, and I can't see it. I see a painful attempt at a gag by the paper (par for the course there) but, unless Kane has made a joke about cocaine (which I'd doubt), that tweet is misleading and wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement