Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's England's to lose.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Honestly don't think England will get past Colombia tonight ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,651 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Honestly don't think England will get past Colombia tonight ..

It's England's to lose. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

quarryman wrote: »
    I can’t remember England having ever been this lucky in the teams they’ve drawn for qualification and finals. They’ve only faced one world class side and were beaten by them and even they had their B team out.

The side of the draw they’ve landed too is incredibly soft compared to the other. Very, very lucky so far.

Yeah. You can only beat what’s in front of you and all that, but I doubt there will ever be an easier route to the final in our lifetimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

England one trick pony in Harry, if Rashford Lingard Sterling Vardy or whomever the supporting cast may be step up maybe England snatch this if James and Falcao both turn up Columbia will bang a few in, it'll be a high scoring game or a dreg of a draw with someone maybe smashing an injury time winner.

Damn James sorely missed certainly not a dreg of a draw and an injury time equaliser rather than winner come on Columbia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Whoever started this thread needs their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Well that was a roller coaster and a half. In total control for 75 minutes of the 90, not quite sure what Columbia were playing but they didn't start playing until they conceded. Honestly, didn't think we'd get through in ET or pens after conceding that late goal but credit to the lads they kept going and got the job done. Now I remember what if feels like to win on penalties!!!! :D

Woah, England are in Russia
    Woah, drinking all your vodka
    Woah, England's going all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Come onnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ha Ha strange how its gone very quiet today :D Bring on Sweden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Two posts since the game finished last night. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sweden will just bore England to death and then score from a corner in the 94th minute.

• Advertisement

They were piss poor last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

They were piss poor last night.

Its a really weird world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Its a really weird world cup

Yeah some great goals good bits in it.
    Very cagey games, but only one 0-0.
    Loads of goals scored with pens/set pieces big guns getting knocked out and some people are getting a soft spot for England mad all together.

The English would hate losing to Sweden it is basically a Graham Taylor England team.

But strangely the English still seem realistic and have much more common sense then usual or is that just my imagination?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Let's just say he got what he went out to achieve.................

Fishing-Failure-H.264-uncomp.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Yeah some great goals good bits in it.
    Very cagey games, but only one 0-0.
    Loads of goals scored with pens/set pieces big guns getting knocked out and some people are getting a soft spot for England mad all together.

The English would hate losing to Sweden it is basically a Graham Taylor England team.

But strangely the English still seem realistic and have much more common sense then usual or is that just my imagination?
    We're (generally) a very sensible people. It's our media and pundits that let the side down. There are gob****es out there, but hey; every country has them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Absolutely no surprise today seeing off Sweden. With the draw they got it would have been embarrassing had they not got to the semi-final. They’ve had such luck with the groups and knockout teams. Should Russia win tonight then England should make the final handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

France or Belgium at full strength will be too much for England should they make the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

France or Belgium at full strength will be too much for England should they make the final

That's being said for every game England are winning.

But I tend to agree.

NIMAN wrote: »
    That's being said for every game England are winning.

But I tend to agree.

Has it?

All im hearing is england have the easiest route to the final ever...

• Advertisement

It has.
    Many said Colombia were the first real team they had met, they were crap.
    It was said Sweden would be too physical and strong for them. They were crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Has it?

All im hearing is england have the easiest route to the final ever...

both of those things can be true at the same time...

Just two games away from glory now,
    It's England's to lose.

Just two games away from glory now,
    It's England's to lose.

Yes but the games get harder the more you progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It has.
    Many said Colombia were the first real team they had met, they were crap.
    It was said Sweden would be too physical and strong for them. They were crap.

Columbia aren't the side they were at the last world cup and without Rodriguez they were like England without Kane.
    Anyone who argued Sweden were a match for England hadn't watched Sweden in this world cup.
    Croatia really should have the beating of England but have had a hard road to the semi finals which could work in England's favour.

Glazers Out!

nothing to fear from Croatia anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yes but the games get harder the more you progress.

Unless you're England, then apparently they're all sh*t and easy to beat.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

If England beat Croatia then either France or Belgium, then fair play to them, I'll say they deserved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

If England beat Croatia then either France or Belgium, then fair play to them, I'll say they deserved it

I have not doubt they had the easiest route imaginable to the semis - down to James Rodriguez being injured, for God's sake.

But if the come out on top of Croatia and France/Belgium, they certainly do deserve it.

Big if, but good luck to 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Not sure how people have England as favourites for that semi final against Croatia. They’ve a very live chance of course (everyone remaining does) but I can see them struggling against Modric and Rakitic (Brozovic will probably be brought in to protect them also).

It’s a different phenomenon to what England have been exposed to so far, they haven’t really gone up against a team with technical players controlling the game in midfield, which traditionally has been their undoing, and Henderson, Dier and Alli aren’t exactly the kind of centre that will control the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

England are going to the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

CSF wrote: »
    Not sure how people have England as favourites for that semi final against Croatia. They’ve a very live chance of course (everyone remaining does) but I can see them struggling against Modric and Rakitic (Brozovic will probably be brought in to protect them also).

It’s a different phenomenon to what England have been exposed to so far, they haven’t really gone up against a team with technical players controlling the game in midfield, which traditionally has been their undoing, and Henderson, Dier and Alli aren’t exactly the kind of centre that will control the game.

Obviously the 3 Croatian midfielders you mentioned are a class above England midfield(I'd throw in Kovacic also), I just feel that the match tonight would of took a lot out of them and some of there most important players seemed to pull up with injuries throughout the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭CSF

justshane wrote: »
    Obviously the 3 Croatian midfielders you mentioned are a class above England midfield(I'd throw in Kovacic also), I just feel that the match tonight would of took a lot out of them and some of there most important players seemed to pull up with injuries throughout the game.

I think fatigue will be a factor alright. But given England’s style I’d say they’re feeling it too, and Croatia will be more capable of making the ball do the work.

Croatia haven’t impressed me in the knockout stages yet, but I wouldn’t say England have particularly impressed me any more than Croatia’s last 2 games at any stage in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

No one left in the competition for england to fear....thats the worry!

They're as good as what's left. All they need is belief and they seem to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    nothing to fear from Croatia anyway.

Except 2 of the best midfielders in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Except 2 of the best midfielders in the world.

Rakitic is a good player covers a lot of ground but there are much better midfielders out there.

Advertisement