Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féile (Classical) 2018 - The Trip To Tip 8

Options
  • 25-06-2018 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭

Initially I didn't think I would want to go to this but it's increasingly looking like it could be a decent enough. Second night added now as the first night sold out pretty quick.

Féile Classical Adds Big Top tent, Tribal Revival After-Parties and more

Event coordinators have today added more names to the two-day Féile Classical this autumn.

At the Big Top, The Pale will headline the Friday performances and Johnny Fean from Horslips will finish off Saturday evening. The event will be hosted at Big Top at Semple Stadium in Thurles, Tipperary from September 21 to 22 .

The festival will be headlined by The Stunning, Something Happens, An Emotional Fish, The Four of Us, and Hothouse Flowers, with special guests. All performers will be accompanied by the Irish Chamber Orchestra.

Following the concerts, Tribal Revival After Parties will be hosted at Semple Stadium, Big Top, The Dome, Premier Hall and Hayes Hotel. A fresh set of entertainers will take the stage including: Leeroy, Micky Mac, Today FM DJ sets, Jerry Fish, Atlantic 252 Reunion, Will Leah’s 90s party and another performance from The Stunning. Mick Mac and Atlantic 252 will host a DJ battle silent disco as well.

The concert also offers three tiers “glamping” sites for concert-goers, with accompanying bus routes available to the shows. Tipperary Festivals Food Pop-Up will cater the event, with dining options available for vegan and vegetarian patrons included.

Tickets for Saturday have already sold out, so those interested should act quickly!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Just bought tickets for this event for the friday evening. Looks good value for the amount of performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Weather forecast is 'good' for Friday night ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Very quiet from the promoters about this event.
    No stage times.
    It starts and 7 and I presume the curfew is 10:30. That only leaves about 30 minutes for each band, 5 songs each

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Very quiet from the promoters about this event.
    No stage times.
    It starts and 7 and I presume the curfew is 10:30. That only leaves about 30 minutes for each band, 5 songs each
    Information on this is almost non existant. No start time or running order on any of their platforms. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I got rid of my tickets....

Pah.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

greenspurs wrote: »
    I got rid of my tickets....

Pah.

Seems a lot of people off-loaded their tickets. I'm stuck with 2 extra Friday night tickets due to friends not able to make it, practically giving them away and no takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

sparksfly wrote: »
    Information on this is almost non existant. No start time or running order on any of their platforms. Pathetic.

The whole thing was a bit of a stunt. Trying to promote it as equating to the legendary Feiles - where we had the likes of Blur, Stone Roses, Foo FIghters, Rage against the Machine and so on. And now we have Something happens, the 4 of us, THe Stunning. I'm surprised Imelda May, Aslan and Damien Dempsey aren't on the list.

I know I shouldn't even be thinking about it, as I'm not going to the 2018 version. But it has left a slight bitterness with me. The way they jumped on the bandwagon. I was at a good few of the original Feiles and have such fond memories. But it will probably be a good weekend for whoever is going. It's just a pity if the promoters were promoting it as the 2018 Feile, that there isn't any bands that could create some kind of buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Not a good start. Here now and nearly all the food stalls are still at the ploughing. Massive q for the burger joint under the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Strange configuration there. Can’t say I’d be happy with those seats!

https://twitter.com/roadsouth/status/1043207659263066112?s=21

• Advertisement

Nice build up through the evening to The Stunning that rocked the place then the hot house flowers fall flat. Awful ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

lucky gets got to see the original frank and walters lineup today for the first time in years

The pitch invasion at the end was class. More like a pitch stroll. Was talking to a guard after and he was expecting it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Pretty good. Great to see music in Semple again. Hope this becomes a regular event, maybe get a few bigger name (yes, I mean "better") acts to do a smaller number of longer sets. Missed the bloody F+W's, 4 of Us were fine, Emotional Fish were OK, the Pale were an ok filler while the orchrstra took 5, Something Happens set was mercifully brief, the Stunning were reliably good and the HHF, though an odd choice to end the evening, were on top form. Nice tribute to Dolores at the end as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Sweet Jesus - this must surely go down as the worst set up of an outdoor gig in Ireland ever!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

That looks miserable. Gives new meaning to selling out a stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Boscoirl wrote: »
    The pitch invasion at the end was class. More like a pitch stroll. Was talking to a guard after and he was expecting it earlier

Wonder if they'll abandon the no pitch rile tonight, seem crazy they thought it was a good idea..... there are companies in the country that would have put down hard covering if protecting the grass was the objective.

Anyway, fair play to those who took to the pitch.

IMG_20180922_130228.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Me and the missus had fairly crap seats too, so we just went moved up to the front of the stage and stood on the steps, no one asked us to move.
    Great view of The Stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Heard the guards came in and pulled the plug at 2am on the button for both after parties. Mickey mac was playing Born slippy and it was cut half way through. FFS.
    Will Leahy saying on facebook his after party cut short too by the guards. And they wonder why there is trouble on the streets when everyone piles out of nightclubs at the same time. Power tripping idiots could have let things slide a little this weekend.
    As for the gig setup. Well they could charge €70 for seats couldn't they. Would have been a harder sell for standing tickets at that kind of price....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So where are the reports about Saturday?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Wonder if they'll abandon the no pitch rile tonight, seem crazy they thought it was a good idea..... there are companies in the country that would have put down hard covering if protecting the grass was the objective.

Anyway, fair play to those who took to the pitch.

IMG_20180922_130228.jpg

Just to clear up.

Is that pic taken from Stand of people on the pitch in front of the stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

BPKS wrote: »
    Just to clear up.

Is that pic taken from Stand of people on the pitch in front of the stage?

yeah, it is. Taken from the Killinan end of the New Stand.

I thoroughly enjoyed last night. Twas nice to be able to remember seeing these bands this time.

Damien Demsey should not have been anywhere near this thing. He is an awful whingy gobsh*te.
    Would have preferred a band like The Fat Lady Sings to Hothouse Flowers. They are not really a stadium band. I saw them last year in a small, intimate, setting and they were fantastic.
    And I didn't enjoy the tribute to Dolores, I wasn't a fan. but then, I'd left Ireland before Cranberries became big.

The footage from the original Feile's were fun, cringe, embarrassing, and bloody terrifying. Really enjoyed all the band interviews also.

All in all, I really enjoyed Sat night.

Oh and the Hari Krishna's were in Thurles on Saturday. I was singing and dancing with them outside Bohernenave church.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Thought it was absolutely superb saturday night. Enjoyed every bit of it. Being on the pitch up close from An Emotional Fish onwards made the evening. Cant understand what they were at with the setup.

Thought all the bands were excellent. Tried to get a pyramid going but my forty something body and a big burly bouncer was having none of it.

Crowd was brilliant. Everyone in such great form and willing to chat, laugh, dance and mosh.

Thought the Linger tribute to Dolores was quite emotional to be honest.

Had a blast overall. Definately stirred great memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Why wasnt the stage at one end of the ground ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Heard the guards came in and pulled the plug at 2am on the button for both after parties. Mickey mac was playing Born slippy and it was cut half way through. FFS.
    Will Leahy saying on facebook his after party cut short too by the guards. And they wonder why there is trouble on the streets when everyone piles out of nightclubs at the same time. Power tripping idiots could have let things slide a little this weekend.
    As for the gig setup. Well they could charge €70 for seats couldn't they. Would have been a harder sell for standing tickets at that kind of price....

I was in the Premier when the guards rocked in around 2.15. The bar had already already closed at 2. Will Leahy looked like he was just getting going, seemed genuinely amazed at what was happening and the people there were pretty disappointed. I was in Hickeys at the Ska band when the guards did the same thing on Saturday night. The band had just finished their set but the pub was still packed. There was no belligerence or anything like that but it's a bit of a bummer getting chucked out half-way through a pint, especially when there isn't even the hint of rowdiness.

In fairness, the guards we were talking to were bang-on and one guy seemed to be quite embarassed to be asking us to leave. Still, Thurles is badly in the need of weekends like this and it wouldn't kill the guards to cool their jets for another hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

jooksavage wrote:
    I was in the Premier when the guards rocked in around 2.15. The bar had already already closed at 2. Will Leahy looked like he was just getting going, seemed genuinely amazed at what was happening and the people there were pretty disappointed. I was in Hickeys at the Ska band when the guards did the same thing on Saturday night. The band had just finished their set but the pub was still packed. There was no belligerence or anything like that but it's a bit of a bummer getting chucked out half-way through a pint, especially when there isn't even the hint ]

Same happened in Hayes Hotel.. came in at 2.20am. 5 guards cleared the place.
    Spoke to a manager there and he said the chief super had made a decision to have the town empty and cleared by 4.00am. He wasnt too impressed...
    They were raiding 3 bars at a time. sweeping the town. i thought it was a bit OTT for an older crowd.

Gig was great.. def dont get why they didnt allow standing. It was much better atmosphere with crowd on pitch
    HHF were a bit pretentious only playing cpl hits..
    Next year might be better with 1 big all day gig and fill the stadium. Room for bands like Saw Doctors, Aslan, Boomtown Rats, Cry before Dawn, Paddy Casey etc... and maybe one newer act... Bell X1?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Saturday was amazing.
    Awful initial set up with the distance from the stage, but this didn't last long.

Agree HHF were very pretentious. They were very out of place on the set. In fairness, they sounded great, but it was almost like they expected the crowd to impress them. Better off not on the bill, or playing early in the day.

Damien Dempsey was ok, sang well, but everyone around me were commenting that his short set was a bit depressing.

Everyone one else was incredible, Tom Dunne was a complete star. The crowd gave The4ofUs a standing ovation in the end. The Stunning got the whole place rocking like mad.

Only thing is why was Michael Lowry on the VT every 5 minutes in the intervals? Very annoying and seemed completely out of place to hear his memories of Feile.

Security staff were complaining about the local Garda Chief/Super saying they were on nothing but a power trip. There was absolutely no trouble, zero. The crowd were all mature and friendly.

Would I go again? Definitely :D

Only thing is why was Michael Lowry on the VT every 5 minutes in the intervals? Very annoying and seemed completely out of place to hear his memories of Feile.

I think it would have been more use having someone like Ian Dempsey playing 90's classic anthems between acts - although Dustin was quite funny!

Would I go again? Definitely :D[/QUOTE]
    I've already booked my hotel room for same date next year just in case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

legohouse wrote: »
    jooksavage wrote:
    I was in the Premier when the guards rocked in around 2.15. The bar had already already closed at 2. Will Leahy looked like he was just getting going, seemed genuinely amazed at what was happening and the people there were pretty disappointed. I was in Hickeys at the Ska band when the guards did the same thing on Saturday night. The band had just finished their set but the pub was still packed. There was no belligerence or anything like that but it's a bit of a bummer getting chucked out half-way through a pint, especially when there isn't even the hint ]

Same happened in Hayes Hotel.. came in at 2.20am. 5 guards cleared the place.
    Spoke to a manager there and he said the chief super had made a decision to have the town empty and cleared by 4.00am. He wasnt too impressed...
    They were raiding 3 bars at a time. sweeping the town. i thought it was a bit OTT for an older crowd.

Gig was great.. def dont get why they didnt allow standing. It was much better atmosphere with crowd on pitch
    HHF were a bit pretentious only playing cpl hits..
    Next year might be better with 1 big all day gig and fill the stadium. Room for bands like Saw Doctors, Aslan, Boomtown Rats, Cry before Dawn, Paddy Casey etc... and maybe one newer act... Bell X1?

Would you not throw an international band or 2 into the mix. Why does it have to be all Irish?

• Advertisement

legohouse wrote: »

Would you not throw an international band or 2 into the mix. Why does it have to be all Irish?

Wouldn't be against them at all... you could have any number of them
    but I get the feeling its an "Irish" vibe they are trying to push..
    If you go international it would be turning into an electric picnic #mark2?
    And hard to compete against EP....
    Maybe an Irish only lineup would have a more unique selling point?
    perhaps look at some of the newer irish acts as alternatives..
    Coronas, Villagers maybe even Snow Patrol?

Advertisement