Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féile (Classical) 2018 - The Trip To Tip 8

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

legohouse wrote: »

Wouldn't be against them at all... you could have any number of them
    but I get the feeling its an "Irish" vibe they are trying to push..
    If you go international it would be turning into an electric picnic #mark2?
    And hard to compete against EP....
    Maybe an Irish only lineup would have a more unique selling point?
    perhaps look at some of the newer irish acts as alternatives..
    Coronas, Villagers maybe even Snow Patrol?

I don't know. The other night was fine, and it was great to see Thurles buzzing but most of the music was mediocre. Thank Christ the sets were so short. Bit of revisionist history going on too - some of the bands seemed to be laboring under the impression that THEY were the reason people came to original Feile... Whatever about the Stunning, not sure how many people pitched tents in the rain so they could see Something bloody Happens!

If they keep this format (short sets with half dozen bands), they're stuck with these bands. Maybe they could do a double-header with bigger Feile illumni: maybe Primal Scream and Manic Street Preachers or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

jooksavage wrote: »

Whatever about the Stunning, not sure how many people pitched tents in the rain so they could see Something bloody Happens!

well I did pitch a tent to see something happens years ago along with Ride, Happy Mondays, Power of Dreams, Frank Black, David Byrne and many others.

Tom Dunne is a class act and deserves a lot of credit for pushing this event.

I get what you are saying and I think this can only really work like this as a once off and in that regard I think judging by how much everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves then it hit the mark.

I can't see how they can repeat this format again unless it was to ask back 4 or 5 bands each year (either international or irish) and that just wont happen for a variety of reasons.

As for the tent...got that slashed in '93, all our gear and beer robbed and the scumbags even pissed into it for good measure. Found my toothbrush on the way out the gate on the Monday so wasn't a complete bust that year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I don't know. The other night was fine, and it was great to see Thurles buzzing but most of the music was mediocre. Thank Christ the sets were so short. Bit of revisionist history going on too - some of the bands seemed to be laboring under the impression that THEY were the reason people came to original Feile... Whatever about the Stunning, not sure how many people pitched tents in the rain so they could see Something bloody Happens!
    These bands WERE the reason people went to the first Féile. The Stunning were way down the bill on the first year. The main day headliners were Hothouse Flowers, The 4 Of Us and Something Happens who were all big f**king bands in Ireland at the time.

I loved every moment on Saturday and so did everyone I was with, everyone around me in the stand and everyone around me on the pitch. The music may not have been to your taste but it certainly wasn't mediocre. It was Irish and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wouldn't be against them at all... you could have any number of them
    but I get the feeling its an "Irish" vibe they are trying to push..
    If you go international it would be turning into an electric picnic #mark2?
    And hard to compete against EP....
    Maybe an Irish only lineup would have a more unique selling point?
    perhaps look at some of the newer irish acts as alternatives..
    Coronas, Villagers maybe even Snow Patrol?

I agree, there is just too many festivals now with international lineups playing them these days. Life Festival, Body&Soul Festival, Forbidden Fruit, Longitude, Beatyard, All Together Now and Electric Picnic. And all the standalone ones in Dublin including outdoor events and Slane too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

These bands WERE the reason people went to the first Féile. The Stunning were way down the bill on the first year. The main day headliners were Hothouse Flowers, The 4 Of Us and Something Happens who were all big f**king bands in Ireland at the time.

I loved every moment on Saturday and so did everyone I was with, everyone around me in the stand and everyone around me on the pitch. The music may not have been to your taste but it certainly wasn't mediocre. It was Irish and it was great.

We must also not forget there was also the "classical" element to the weekend. I think the orchestra added something to all the bands.. made it a much bigger musical experience..
    and again that is something different to other gigs/festivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,731 ✭✭✭shmeee

Heard the guards came in and pulled the plug at 2am on the button for both after parties. Mickey mac was playing Born slippy and it was cut half way through. FFS.
    Will Leahy saying on facebook his after party cut short too by the guards. And they wonder why there is trouble on the streets when everyone piles out of nightclubs at the same time. Power tripping idiots could have let things slide a little this weekend.
    As for the gig setup. Well they could charge €70 for seats couldn't they. Would have been a harder sell for standing tickets at that kind of price....

All Pubs / Venues raided and shut down at closing time, no leeway at all.

TBH, didn't see any trouble around Thurles over the 2 days. Plenty of Guards around all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

We must also not forget there was also the "classical" element to the weekend. I think the orchestra added something to all the bands.. made it a much bigger musical experience..
    and again that is something different to other gigs/festivals.

Absolutely. I thought the orchestra would straight-jacket the bands but it really didn't. Most of the arrangements were superb.

I hope it retains an Irish bias. There are plenty of festivals/occasions for international acts - the country doesn't need another EP/Longitude etc. Fri/Sat showed there's an audience there that prob isn't being catered for already - so serve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Myself and the girlfriend wandered up for a look on the Saturday night, tried to get in (no tickets) but no joy so decided to head down to the square for a drink. Just as we got over the bridge these two lads behind us said "jaysus folks you're heading home early" to which I replied, "we couldn't even get in" so they gave us their VIP wristbands and we got in. They were 2 undercover Gardai stationed in Thurles :D

Advertisement