Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power City...Beware.

Options
  • 25-06-2018 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

We bought a fridge from power city airside last August. Was working perfectly up until last Tuesday. We noticed a smell of burning around the fridge and on wed eve a red hazard triangle appeared in the display. We plugged it out. Thurs morning we phoned the shop and they told us they would log a call with engineer. Engineer called fri & said 1st appointment available is Tuesday. We went down to the shop then & complained I said I have a very full freezer & fridge now fit for the bin. The girl said oh we have no managers in our shops so area manager will ring you. Two hours later a guy calls from a call centre he said engineer has to see it before we can do anything. I said its 23degree heat Ive a load of spoiled food "we'll see what we can do about the food so write an email". Thats it? I have to buy milk butter ham yoghurt etc every day cos its off the next day. Cant store any food properly.
    So waiting for engineer on Tuesday but I have to say the customer care is utterly appalling. No manager to speak with, I told them just cime and see the hazard symbol it means plug out, risk of fire I even emailed the pics, then u can replace fridge temporarily even. What a nightmare
    DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

You can't expect them to deal with the frozen food in the interim

Don't think you've any grounds for complaint on that one

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Should they just magic up an engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Should they just magic up an engineer?

Yeah they should actually when it comes to freezers. I'm a maintenance tech and deal with refrigeration units daily. Retail industrial and the odd home call. Any thing to do with food stocks is given priority no matter who the client is. I hope power cities attitude to customers is better than yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Yeah they should actually when it comes to freezers. I'm a maintenance tech and deal with refrigeration units daily. Retail industrial and the odd home call. Any thing to do with food stocks is given priority no matter who the client is. I hope power cities attitude to customers is better than yours

Commercial refrigeration is a different ball game

They're on maintenance contracts with big $$$ at stake

You're not gonna get a tech out to a domestic before food thaws

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

**Moved from Dublin County North forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Not trying to be a smartass, but would you not be able to source a backup freezer, or even an engineer yourself through work to get you through the heatwave?
    I'm not saying customers should have to, but seems like you've a ready supply of refrigeration and freezing services at hand.
    To be honest, I don't know what the responsibility of a retailer is towards the food in your freezer. If they did offer a solution I'd imagine it would be on a goodwill basis.
    If oven died half way through cooking dinner would they need to cover takeaways until its sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Not trying to be a smartass, but would you not be able to source a backup freezer, or even an engineer yourself through work to get you through the heatwave?
    I'm not saying customers should have to, but seems like you've a ready supply of refrigeration and freezing services at hand.
    ?

:confused: He's not the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

He's not the smartest smart arse on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BradyH wrote: »
    ... then u can replace fridge temporarily even. What a nightmare

Replace the fridge temporarily? Your exact model? What do they do with the replacement fridge when yours is fixed?
    BradyH wrote: »
    DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

Who should we buy from then? An electrical retailer whom you know would have provided the solution you're suggesting? Like who?

Check your home insurance to see if it covers food spoilage as a result of power cuts and/or breakdown but as with a minor tip with a car, it's not going to be worth losing your no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Just a thought for the OP. Do you have any neighbours who might be prepared to help out by storing some of your food in their fridges/freezers until your's is fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Oops, that makes far more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

abff wrote: »
    Just a thought for the OP. Do you have any neighbours who might be prepared to help out by storing some of your food in their fridges/freezers until your's is fixed?

OP unplugged the freezer last Wednesday, bit late for your suggestion I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi op

You cant really compare commercial refrigeration support to end user appliance support provided by retailer/manufacturer. Its not the same ball park.

however if you write a letter of complain and provide proof of purchases to show your out of pocket they said they would consider it. In the mean time can you use a neighbour/family member to help?

when my fridge freezer was on the blink i used UHT & soya milk. Bought food daily in local tesco, and used before it could spoil. its a bad time for it to happen alright - with the heatwave!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

coylemj wrote: »
    OP unplugged the freezer last Wednesday, bit late for your suggestion I'm afraid.

At least he/she might be able to store some new purchases if they have an obliging neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't know what the responsibility of a retailer is towards the food in your freezer. If they did offer a solution I'd imagine it would be on a goodwill basis.
    If oven died half way through cooking dinner would they need to cover takeaways until its sorted?

That seems like a good idea, except then you're chasing the retailer for the cost of the repairman as well as the cost of the food.

And if it breaks again, they're liable (and probably legally entitled) to say "well, some unknown technician has been messing with it, we can't be responsible for that, your warranty is invalid".

• Registered Users Posts: 40 BradyH

Hi thanks for thoughts. Im a totally reasonable person so I understand things break, thats fine. But for something as essential as a fridge, theres no reason they cant have a mini fridge on standby and also petty cash for frozen stuff.

They couldnt have given less of a fck tbh. Imagine the scene...23degrees you reach for a cool drink..oh yeah no fridge.
    Must get the chicken wings out for dinner..oh yeah. You want butter on that toast?oh yeah. I want cereal mam, oh yeah down to shop. The pack of ham, coleslaw,lettuce etc etc all gone next day.
    Id be in and out of neighbours all day.

i didnt expect compensation for food right now, but his attitude was "we might be able to do something..."not good enough.
    If he had looked at the picture of the hazard fire symbol or popped his head round my door on thurs he would have seen that yes fridge is unusable so replace it. Ok so the engineer has to come see what is wrong exactly, but all the world could see red triangle on display, corresponding with "Danger to life and propery" in manual. All I. expected was fairness and a bit of cop.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly remove the emotion from the debate as it won't change the situation.
    Secondly what does your warranty say about any contents of the freezer?

to my knowledge you can claim back the food from your house insurance, I was told this before twice from people who had done the same.

This is always the problem but you entered into a contract with Power city not some engineer crowd, that's the issue but it's getting more common now is this kinda thing.. you simply have to wait for the engineer and claim for the spoiled food on your house insurance.

shyte I know, just keep ringing them and annoying them if you have the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

OP I had a similar problem in sunny weather last year. Put shop-bought ice packs in the fridge and freezer to drop the temperature in there and the insulation will keep it from melting even if it's not plugged in and running. Should tide you over for essentials, maybe top up ice every day or two.

I wouldn't be too happy with powercity's response but I wouldn't be too surprised either. They clearly run a bare bones operation and don't have the capacity to deal with your problem as quickly or as well as would be satisfactory. Itemise all of your expenses and send them in to them when they are replacing the fridge. If it's reasonable they may well cover it as a goodwill gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

OP .. if you expect retailers to have standby Freezers and cash on hand for customer shopping bills you’d be paying a lot more for your white goods.

They should honour their obligation to provide either a repair / replacement / refund on the original purchase .. nothing more nothing less.

If my washing machine breaks down should I be dropping my laundry to Harvey Norman?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

You problem comes under the three R's. Refund, Repair or Replacement.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/faulty-goods/

Just ask for a refund be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

TallGlass wrote: »

Which of the three ‘r’ solutions is up to the retailer to decide .. the consumer can choose to accept or go the SSC .. and then the SSC decides if the retailers offer was reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TallGlass wrote: »

You don't get the option. The shop will make an offer of repair and if the OP rejects this then they'll have less of a claim if it goes to Small Claims.

The contents of the fridge are nothing to do with Power City, or any retailer, if you want to protect the contents of your fridge you need to source your own backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

you would think in this day an age with phone/video consultations with doctors, that they could do smth similar in emergencies. A remote assessment by the engineer would save powercity a lot of money for clear cut cases. (assuming it is).

Ive found them to be fine when dealing with them. At least they are talking to you and booking in appointments. Harvey Norman wouldnt even call me back when I had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Freezer contents are usually covered by your house contents insurance. Check out your policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭dubrov

Just buy a mini fridge on adverts and sell it on afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

always found powercity very good when things break down ...i wouldnt expect an engineer out that day do u think they have engineers hanging around the shop for freezer call outs

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s hardly Power City’s own engineer that’s coming out though? Surely it’s the manufacturer sending someone out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

whippet wrote: »
    Which of the three ‘r’ solutions is up to the retailer to decide .. the consumer can choose to accept or go the SSC .. and then the SSC decides if the retailers offer was reasonable.

If I am reading the piece from the link correctly, you've a small window from where you buy it and it doesn't function where you can ask for a refund. After a week or two, then that option doesn't exist and it's down to them. Suppose it's in cases of it literally doesn't work out of the box.

Dunno, about the food I never mentioned it, have a look on adverts for any going free would be my suggestion.

My mistake also, completely missed the part where it.was bought last year! For some reason I thought it was this week.

Just wait for repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s hardly Power City’s own engineer that’s coming out though? Surely it’s the manufacturer sending someone out?

Manufacturers wouldn't have many field service engineers for domestic appliances so Power City will send someone. It could be from the manufacturer or it could be a person from stores. They still have to get the OP back to having a working fridge.

Advertisement