Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power City...Beware.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

you would think in this day an age with phone/video consultations with doctors, that they could do smth similar in emergencies. A remote assessment by the engineer would save powercity a lot of money for clear cut cases. (assuming it is).

Ive found them to be fine when dealing with them. At least they are talking to you and booking in appointments. Harvey Norman wouldnt even call me back when I had issues.

Last thing you want is your average Joe pulling the unit out and having a poke at the back.
    Chances are with a smell of burning, the pump or some electronics needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Very unfair on Power City imo

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Del2005 wrote: »
    Manufacturers wouldn't have many field service engineers for domestic appliances so Power City will send someone. It could be from the manufacturer or it could be a person from stores. They still have to get the OP back to having a working fridge.

Do you think that if the OP had bought the fridge in DID or Harvey Norman or Curry’s, Would the story be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you think that if the OP had bought the fridge in DID or Harvey Norman or Curry’s, Would the story be different?

+1 in response to the OP's exhortation (in caps): 'DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE', I asked in post #10..
    coylemj wrote: »
    Who should we buy from then? An electrical retailer whom you know would have provided the solution you're suggesting? Like who?

Still waiting for an answer.

If anyone is aware of an electrical retailer which keeps a reserve stock of fridges ready to be shipped out to customers who experience a breakdown and has a petty cash system which allows the staff to instantly issue payment to cover food spoilage, please let us know ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Miele if bought direct. Provide vouchers for lost food

However, that'll be a whole other level of cost in the first place

On the margins on normal consumer grade kit, it's a way to go out of business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 BradyH

I usually buy from DID tbh, they are amazing, you just hand them broken thing & they replace it, immediately, no questions & often no receipt, they also have a manager so you can talk face to face.
    I dont think its the same everywhere, as in you buy a fridge in good fairh for nearly 1000 euro, then it breaks and all your food is spoiled(consequential damage, obligation is on power city here to refund, I checked with ccpc), an oven/dishwasher/washing machine are all different, theyre not going to give you salmonella cos theyre not working correctly. So the retailer has no shop manager you are sent away to await call centre phonecall. Your email asking do you want me to itemise food etc is ignored completely. No accountability whatsoever. I was a manager and I was paid to deal with this stuff so that customers were not left simmering in their dissatisfaction/frustration. I would take steps within reason to help, which has not been done here.
    Bottom line goods not fit for purpose = replace now ask questions later sorry.
    Customer service non existent never will I buy from or recommend power city again.

BradyH wrote: »
    I usually buy from DID tbh, they are amazing, you just hand them broken thing & they replace it, immediately, no questions & often no receipt,

You can literally walk into DID with a broken appliance and no receipt and they will replace it?

If DID are so 'amazing' at customer service, why did you buy the fridge from Power City?

Let me guess..... price?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 BradyH

coylemj wrote: »
    You can literally walk into DID with a broken appliance and no receipt and they will replace it?

If DID are so 'amazing' at customer service, why did you buy the fridge from Power City?

Let me guess..... price?

Yes I have done this in DID.
    I guess I was just used to good customer service and imagined it was universal.
    No not price specifically, but obviously power city are skimping somewhere if its price as you say. Somewhere like management or quality? Not sure but Ive learned my lesson anyway.
    DO NOT BUY FROM COYLEMJ
    SORRY! POWER CITY

DO NOT TAKE CONSUMER ADVICE FROM SOMEONE WITH UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS

and who's motivation for posting here is pure revenge. The post at the start of this thread was only the OP's second post in over four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

In terms of what to do in the interim period, see if your local shop or supermarket will store your food for you in their nicely chilled fridges/ freezers. I have an arrangement like this in place with nearby supermarket, I pay them a storage fee for this neat little service but I think it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_mcm wrote: »

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe the OP should bring the fridge into DID and get a new one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

coylemj wrote:
    DO NOT TAKE CONSUMER ADVICE FROM SOMEONE WITH UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS

coylemj wrote:
    and who's motivation for posting here is pure revenge. The post at the start of this thread was only the OP's second post in over four years.

Just because he/she doesn't spend their life on boards is no reason not to believe them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP I bought a freezer from Powercity last week. Haven't plugged it in but noticed that it wasn't sealing properly along the top. Rang customer service and they said they'd mark it urgent and get an engineer out. That was yesterday & the engineer is due out tomorrow. Honestly that is some of the best customer service I've gotten. Is it a massive inconvenience? Course - moving house and no where to put our frozen food but they're doing what they can. They can't keep a stash of replacement fridges or freezers just in case someone has a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

In a lot of cases it your attitude to a retailer that gets different levels of servcie.

Just by going on the OP's way of approaching the thread, I would guess they had a similar aggressive attitude on the phone to Power city and the resultant, "we're not going out of our way for someone like this"

Then you have post above by witchgirl - probably a different manner and they want to help as much as possible and as quickly as possible, hence a far better service.

People in shops are human - treat them with respect and in most cases they will do their utmost to help you.

Treat them like sh1t and they'll respond in kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

In terms of what to do in the interim period, see if your local shop or supermarket will store your food for you in their nicely chilled fridges/ freezers. I have an arrangement like this in place with nearby supermarket, I pay them a storage fee for this neat little service but I think it's worth it.

Eh? You store your food in your local supermarket??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I store all my food in the supermarket, I just pay for the storage as I leave with it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

CeilingFly wrote:
    People in shops are human - treat them with respect and in most cases they will do their utmost to help you.

CeilingFly wrote:
    Treat them like sh1t and they'll respond in kind.

CeilingFly wrote:
    In a lot of cases it your attitude to a retailer that gets different levels of servcie.

Work in retail this is true.
    I've seen nice people who have had a problem and are grand about it get sorted sometimes within the same day.

Ive also seen the opposite,
    oh this guy has called me a scammer/stupid etc.
    And oh this place is a kip is it?
    Oh you know your rights is it?

Yep let's just wait to log that call until tomorrow evening maybe just after 5 when everyone's gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yes in many of them. It's a cool arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭rameire

BradyH wrote: »
    Hi thanks for thoughts. Im a totally reasonable person so I understand things break, thats fine. But for something as essential as a fridge, theres no reason they cant have a mini fridge on standby and also petty cash for frozen stuff.

You reach for a cool drink..oh yeah no fridge.
    Must get the chicken wings out for dinner..oh yeah. You want butter on that toast?oh yeah. I want cereal mam, oh yeah down to shop. The pack of ham, coleslaw,lettuce etc etc all gone next day.
    Id be in and out of neighbours all day.

I just cant believe you keep your butter in the fridge.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OP

You catch more bees with honey. I think your attitude worked against you.

A modern fridge freezer will hold temperature for a good while just don’t open the doors.

A cooked ham will last for a good while , you should have just cooked it.

Milk is 1.55 for a 2 litre

Advertisement