Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

what you are advocating is mob justice. The core principal of our legal system is that a person is innocent until PROVEN guilty. He was not proven guilty in a court of law.

No, I'm referring to the fact that the church covered up large scale abuse across the country and made it impossible for it ever to be investigated. Do you think Jimmy Savile was an abuser? Cause the reality is, many victims never see justice for their abuse. Implying that O Gorman is lying is absolutely disgraceful. Perhaps show more concern for organised cover ups on global scale that are a matter of fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

eviltwin wrote: »
    So? The one who raped me never stood trial either. It doesn't change what he did to at least 4 children. Or are we liars now?

Did I say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Berserker wrote: »
    ...Came back to query the traffic restrictions, for real life reasons and ...

.. Same here. It's derailed as usual by utter drivel..

Can I block after hours from my boards profile so it never appeared even in recent threads. It's a waste of space...

batgoat wrote: »
    No, I'm referring to the fact that the church covered up large scale abuse across the country and made it impossible for it ever to be investigated. Do you think Jimmy Savile was an abuser? Cause the reality is, many victims never see justice for their abuse. Implying that O Gorman is lying is absolutely disgraceful. Perhaps show more concern for organised cover ups on global scale that are a matter of fact.

Why are you making up things that I haven't said? Do you think someone should always be believed when they make a complaint of sexual abuse? If you do, what's the point in having a trial?

Why are you making up things that I haven't said? Do you think someone should always be believed when they make a complaint of sexual abuse? If you do, what's the point in having a trial?

30 similar reports that goes back decades? Can you explain why the Diocese never had it investigated? That's the reason why mm abusers got away with it. Do you think Jimmy Savile was an abuser? You claimed O Gorman as an attention seeker and are now implying he was never abused. You're less concerned with justice than smearing a man who has advocated for abuse victims for decades. That's classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yes, in the eyes of the law he is innocent. I'm afraid you and EL whatever his name is don't understand how the law works

I afraid you don't know how my brain works.

If 29 allegations of sexual abuse against a priest are made, reported and ignored or covered up for years, then the accused takes his own life, followed by apology from the church and settlement to the victim, then I believe it happened.

If a terrorist kills 20 people before killing himself, then I can safely say he was guilty, even if wasn't tried in court.

I don't need to study law to have my opinion of the case. And there is only one outcome.

There are cases in courts settled for convenience, eg in employment tribunal, but this trend has changed recently.

The case of the priest is not one of those settled for convenience and to save money long term.

It was clear what it was. And it is a common issue not just in Ireland, but in all countries where the church has a power and tendency to sweep these issues under their carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Why is the catholic church child abuse denier, DickSwiveller, allowed to continue to post ffs. Is this thread being moderated at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Why is the catholic church child abuse denier, DickSwiveller, allowed to continue to post ffs. Is this thread being moderated at all.
    Yes it's disgusting.
    I've reported his posts but I don't see anything being done about it.
    I don't know where he's returning from (I'm guessing a ban).. but to quote a politician from the 70's, as far as I'm concerned he can blow out, or blow up!

Calm down. I asked a simple question. How do people know he was abused? I haven't got an answer yet. Just a lot of word salad. The fact is you can not try a dead person so I don't know if he was abused. That doesn't mean I'm calling him a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

beauf wrote: »
    .. Same here. It's derailed as usual by utter drivel..

Can I block after hours from my boards profile so it never appeared even in recent threads. It's a waste of space...

Delete it from the followed threads and forget about it. Reading it would melt your head alright.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    I'd think twice about that. You are going to be in the minority, a huge minority. Have you ever been in a minority at an event and subject to the wrath of the majority? The most dedicated members of the RCC are going to be in Dublin on that day. Big man talk on an internet forum is one thing, having to stand up and do it in the real world is another.

Is that a threat against a peaceful event being held by the survivors of child abuse?

That is surely a new low for you. And if it isn't a new low for you then I shudder to think what is that low.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes it's disgusting.
    I've reported his posts but I don't see anything being done about it.
    I don't know where he's returning from (I'm guessing a ban).. but to quote a politician from the 70's, as far as I'm concerned he can blow out, or blow up!

I've reported your sectarian posts too but nothing so far. Strange all right.

Don't worry I'll leave now. You can go back to your echo chamber.

I've reported your sectarian posts too but nothing so far. Strange all right.
    Thought you were leaving

Calm down. I asked a simple question. How do people know he was abused? I haven't got an answer yet. Just a lot of word salad. The fact is you can not try a dead person so I don't know if he was abused. That doesn't mean I'm calling him a liar.

Using your logic Hitler is also innocent of anything that occurred during WW2.

"Sure he never stood trial so that makes him innocent"

Jesus wept.

You've basically denied the existence of large scale abuse that occurred in this country. There is no question that it occurred. It's delusion to say otherwise.

In fairness he has a right to post and discuss just like everyone else.

He is just looking at it from different perspective. Not a perspective I like to read, but it isn't your or my job to shut people down just because we don't like what they say.

Not even moderators task I think.

That would be unfair.

Using your logic Hitler is also innocent of anything that occurred during WW2.

"Sure he never stood trial so that makes him innocent"

Jesus wept.
    Yeah that's the kind of mentality we're dealing with here tbh.
    Probably a man child who doesn't understand the meaning of life outside his mom's basement.

You've basically denied the existence of large scale abuse that occurred in this country. There is no question that it occurred. It's delusion to say otherwise.

That is a gigantic lie. Care to apologise?

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »

He is just looking at it from different perspective. Not a perspective I like to read, but it isn't your or my job to shut people down just because we don't like what they say.

That would be unfair.
    He's an abuse denier.
    We don't allow rapists of children any respect or privilege, even amongst prisoners they look down on paedos.

That would be unfair.

It is a bit of an issue when his target is an individual who is a survivor of abuse. It is incredibly hurtful for survivors to see these sorts of implications.

That would be unfair.

Well said. They are just extremely intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them. A common problem in a lot of these threads

Why woudl he apologise.
    It's only the disgusting cowardly rapist scum like fortune that should apologise.

And I'll leave this here for your reference:

ELM327 wrote: »
    He's an abuse denier.
    We don't allow rapists of children any respect or privilege, even amongst prisoners they look down on paedos.

I'm not denying abuse happened. You're hysterical posting is getting even worse.

Well said. They are just extremely intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them. A common problem in a lot of these threads

Thought you said you were leaving. Or do you have a few more survivors of child abuse to accuse of being liars before you head off.

• Advertisement

It is a bit of an issue when his target is an individual who is a survivor of abuse. It is incredibly hurtful for survivors to see these sorts of implications.
    Exactly. I've met Colm in person at a human rights event last year.
    Wonderful man who has helped so many, stood up in the face of adversity for the needs and rights of others.

And then you have cretins coming on here denying the abuse and rape he suffered.. which the church have themselves apologised for! The mind boggles

I'm not denying abuse happened. You're hysterical posting is getting even worse.

Your last post for your reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

crash1.gif

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Thought you said you were leaving. Or do you have a few more survivors of child abuse to accuse of being liars before you head off.

1. Do you think anyone who makes an accusation of sexual abuse should be believed? Yes or No?

2. If Yes, what is the point in having a trial?

I have nothing to apologise for, the Ferns Report came about as a direct result of Colm O'Gorman. It exposed large scale abuse and an organised coverup in the Diocese of Ferns. The reality is, many never faced convictions because the cover up occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Colm also set up One in Four which I personally have experienced using and I'm very grateful for its existence at a very bad time in my life. He's done a huge amount of work on behalf of abuse survivors.

1. Do you think anyone who makes an accusation of sexual abuse should be believed? Yes or No?

You're actually an idiot. I don't care if i get a thread ban, you're just so ****ing idiotic that it hurts my own brain. I'm assuming you have a very low level of intelligence.

Can you explain why he won his case and the Bishop issued an unreserved apology? I suppose the justice system and the Bishop were in on it too.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/church-sex-abuse-victim-cries-after-winning-case-94834.html

The court heard that Bishop Walsh acknowledged and sincerely regretted the distress, trauma and hurt caused by the late Fr Fortune.

“He further acknowledges the failure of the Bishop at that time to recognise and act on the threat posed by the late Fr Fortune to Colm O’Gorman,” the statement said.

“Bishop Walsh wishes to apologise unreservedly to Colm O’Gorman for these failures and for the harm which he suffered in consequence.”

Well, someone didn't want to go for trial. I wonder why?

Answer to the first question is no, but there is no answer to the second one because this particular priest has taken his own life.

Maybe he missed his flight to South America?

I don't know, but as said before, this is as clear as it can be that the man was not innocent.

You're actually an idiot. I don't care if i get a thread ban, you're just so ****ing idiotic that it hurts my own brain. I'm assuming you have a very low level of intelligence.

Can you explain why he won his case and the Bishop issued an unreserved apology? I suppose the justice system and the Bishop were in on it too.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/church-sex-abuse-victim-cries-after-winning-case-94834.html

The court heard that Bishop Walsh acknowledged and sincerely regretted the distress, trauma and hurt caused by the late Fr Fortune.

“He further acknowledges the failure of the Bishop at that time to recognise and act on the threat posed by the late Fr Fortune to Colm O’Gorman,” the statement said.

“Bishop Walsh wishes to apologise unreservedly to Colm O’Gorman for these failures and for the harm which he suffered in consequence.”

So a load of ad hominem. Thanks.

So a load of ad hominem. Thanks.

You are denying that the child abuse of Colm O'Gorman happened, despite him winning his case and receiving an apology from the church.

I don't even know why you are trying to claim he (and the 27 others that came out as abused by the same priest) is a liar. Why are you taking this route?

I guess you're just a poorly educated idiot on boards in it for the troll.

You are denying that the child abuse of Colm O'Gorman happened, despite him winning his case and receiving an apology from the church.

I don't even know why you are trying to claim he (and the 27 others that came out as abused by the same priest) is a liar. Why are you taking this route?

I guess you're just a poorly educated idiot on boards in it for the troll.

Ye more made up nonsense. You and your mob can keep piling on. Go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

so why express doubt in the first place?

It has nothing to do with the protest anyway, there are lots of people going to be there many of whom were abused or had loved ones abused by the church.

Who's my mob? Child abuse survivor defenders against abuse deniers? I am proud to be in that mob.

I'm sure you feel proud of your stance right now too. Denying the existence of child abuse. Just leave like you said you were a page of comments ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: don't come back (again). Just read through your posts, truly despicable.

I'd like to apologise for my comments yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Interesting piece in Today's Times . Former president Mary Mcalesse claims the church tried to do a deal with the state to deny access to the church's papers here. Nasty bunch.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Interesting piece in Today's Times . Former president Mary Mcalesse claims the church tried to do a deal with the state to deny access to the church's papers here. Nasty bunch.
    Cover it up and move on.
    That's been their MO for centuries at this stage.
    Absolutely disgusting and reprehensible but it's to be expected unfortunately.

They tried according to MM but it got nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone buy a pope tshirt or one of the scary lollipop things

PTH2009 wrote:
    Anyone buy a pope tshirt or one of the scary lollipop things

So a thing called a 'loolipope'. Cringe worthy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's kind of strange that when Mary was President she never mentioned any of this. In fact she put herself out there as a staunch Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It's kind of strange that when Mary was President she never mentioned any of this. In fact she put herself out there as a staunch Catholic.

Hold on, she's been speaking her mind for years and still claims to be a practising Catholic

And......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

And......?

You want me to explain the one line post to you??

• Advertisement

You want me to explain the one line post to you??

No at all, her role at the time restricted her voice. However what she has said is still relevant. Goes to show the contempt the church has for its victims.

Advertisement