Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

It's now bordering on American healing preacher. They are fuking desperate.

It was just brilliant. Wish we could have him here all the time if that is the response he gets. It was almost miraculous.

I want AB Diarmaid Martin for next Pope! I saw him trying out the Pope-mobile for size today :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

dasdog wrote: »

And?

Yeh roight. ;)

yes, he is right. Its the road leading away from the homeless centre and that whole area was tightly guarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I want AB Diarmaid Martin for next Pope! I saw him trying out the Pope-mobile for size today :p

Rumour is He’s planning on retiring soon so won’t happen unfortunately. Good man, all the same

And?

Pulling heartstrings to join the cult?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

its a world meeting of families visit, what do you expect at Croke park ?

The Rolling Stones ?

ziggyman17 wrote: »

The Rolling Stones ?

They weren't bad in fairness.

Pulling heartstrings to join the cult?

I thought the cult was dead? You sound confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Rolling Stones ?

Death Metal, Lordi and Ozzy Ozbourne. This isn't a place for common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

yes, he is right. Its the road leading away from the homeless centre and that whole area was tightly guarded.

Not very well clearly as there are members of the public there.

Seems to be the stock excuse 'that road was closed' on social media as people post photos. :rolleyes:

amdublin wrote: »
    Omg all that positivity in town! Will you be going to Coppers later?! It's gonna be wiiiiild with positivity

Why are you taking the pizz out off someone who is celebrating their day out.

This is after all, a thread devoted to "who's going to see the Pope". While it's turned into just another Pope/Catholic bashing thread which mods in AH have done fck all about, can you not leave posters who are celebrating their experience today alone or is it that you just thrive on thanks whoring and bullying tactics?

They weren't bad in fairness.

and yet they could not sell out Croke park either.........

I thought the cult was dead? You sound confused.

Well meditation and imaginary friends from the Middle East doesn't make thought any clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The dubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Eh What referendum is that??

The next one that you will lose

Not very well clearly as there are members of the public there.

Seems to be the stock excuse 'that road was closed' on social media as people post photos. :rolleyes:

I know I'm right. you obviously do too. So we just won't agree on this. :)

I've no idea how many people came out today to see him. I know that 80,000 are in Croke Park this evening, as per RTE news - who knows how many will come tomorrow to the Mass. I don't care.

If 500,000 turned out today and the place was in disarray, the Gardai would have been blamed for not anticipating it. Yes. there was probably more containment and caution applied to this than was necessary in high insight- but everything has appeared to go off without a hitch and everyone returned home safely. Is that not a good thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This is after all, a thread devoted to "who's going to see the Pope". While it's turned into just another Pope/Catholic bashing thread which mods in AH have done fck all about, can you not leave posters who are celebrating their experience today alone or is it that you just thrive on thanks whoring and bullying tactics?

Because this is AH & it's a principle on Boards that people are allowed to disagree with your opinion. Post a blog if you don't want opposing views.

Discodog wrote: »
    The next one that you will lose

Me personally? Tell me more?

pjohnson wrote: »
    The dubs?

more like Galway.......

• Advertisement

Well meditation and imaginary friends from the Middle East doesn't make thought any clearer.

Great stuff. In that case you keep on pointing and laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Oliver Callan, is he trying to be funny?

Oh I forgot, he is always trying to be funny and continually fails. Now he is seemingly qualified to be a social commentator, spouting that he has done som "research" on the subject, makes one or two wild claims, and no one even questions what he spouts.

Another idiot who is full of his own importance, countenanced by RTE and our licence fee

RTE are giving it wall to wall coverage what else do you want them to do...you can t have it both ways

I know I'm right. you obviously do too. So we just won't agree on this. :)

I've no idea how many people came out today to see him. I know that 80,000 are in Croke Park this evening, as per RTE news - who knows how many will come tomorrow to the Mass. I don't care.

If 500,000 turned out today and the place was in disarray, the Gardai would have been blamed for not anticipating it. Yes. there was probably more containment and caution applied to this than was necessary in high insight- but everything has appeared to go off without a hitch and everyone returned home safely. Is that not a good thing?

How would you get 80,000 into CP with one end closed? Loads of empty seats on upper levels too. Quit exaggerating the figures please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Discodog wrote: »
    Why bizarre ? Just shows how many don't care about child abuse.

You see this kind of rubbish helps no one, survivors included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Was it not free in?

Well what I mean by free is that the taxpayer is funding it too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Croke Park is looking good.

Great stuff. In that case you keep on pointing and laughing.

I don't point and laugh. I treat other humans with respect. I may shake my head on the inside but I don't hurt peoples feeling by pointing and laughing.

no I think you had to buy a ticket for The Rolling Stones...

vicwatson wrote: »
    Was it not free in?

Yeah and some protesters applied for tickets so there would be empty spaces, so they can say 'oh look, they couldn't fill Croke Park'.

People went out to see the pope and posters on this site spent the afternoon slagging them and the pope off, its funny that the posters on here that spent the day slagging off the size of the crowd must have been sat at home watching the TV coverage all day.. If they did not like the pope visiting or had no interest then they could have spent their afternoon doing something else instead of watching the TV coverage and posting on a thread about the pope's visit...

I think the interest is more to do with the fact that he s the CEO of an organisation that moved deviant priests between dioceses at the expense of children rather than turning them at the expense of the brand.

• Advertisement

Exactly. The exact same people would be losing their sh1t if anyone dared even mild criticism of the likes of dr Ali from the clonskeagh mosque etc.

How would you get 80,000 into CP with one end closed? Loads of empty seats on upper levels too. Quit exaggerating the figures please.

I'm exaggerating nothing. I'm quoting RTE news this evening. Take it up with them if you have an issue with the numbers quoted- Unlike some on this thread, I don't rely on just a finger in the air guess.

There's also many seated on the pitch BTW if you care to turn on RTE2 which might explain how this capacity can be reached- you never know, you might also get some spiritual inspiration for your next post;)

Bless you.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yeah and some protesters applied for tickets so there would be empty spaces, so they can say 'oh look, they couldn't fill Croke Park'.

A very childish way to behave imo. All it does is create tension and polarize people.

A very childish way to behave imo. All it does is create tension and polarize people.

'Some protesters' yeah Id say there was a serious epidemic of people going to the bother of doing that alright

'Some protesters' yeah Id say there was a serious epidemic of people going to the bother of doing that alright

Dannyriver wrote: »

It only takes a few ‘protestors’ ordering large amounts of tickets to cause a problem. It’s the attitude I find childish more so than the action.

Exactly. The exact same people would be losing their sh1t if anyone dared even mild criticism of dr Ali from the clonskeagh mosque etc.

This thread would have been closed earlier today if this had anything to do with Islam, considering the bile being thrown out at the Catholic Church and in particular, the Pope.

I don't mind at all, a protest thread on the popes visit- that's an absolute right IMHO. But now we have a protest thread, and the Pope/Catholic bashing thread.

It's actually extraordinary how it's survived. I'm off to the TV forum which is probably more suited for this topic.

I'm exaggerating nothing. I'm quoting RTE news this evening. Take it up with them if you have an issue with the numbers quoted- Unlike some on this thread, I don't rely on just a finger in the air guess.

There's also many seated on the pitch BTW if you care to turn on RTE2 which might explain how this capacity can be reached- you never know, you might also get some spiritual inspiration for your next post;)

Bless you.

You can link to RTE saying this?

There are 100's sitting on the pitch, and the closed off end holds 1000's.

Someone is telling porkies.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0627/973665-pope-protest/
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has condemned "petty and mean-spirited" protesters for block booking free tickets, which will not be used, for Pope Francis' events during his visit to Ireland this summer.

A social media campaign encouraging people to book large numbers of free tickets to events, such as the Pope's mass in the Phoenix Park, and not use them has gained traction in recent days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great Pope's. But ' Gaudete et exsultate' by Pope Francis is one of the best, most powerful Papal documents ever written about self-preservation and dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message. Crucial, really. And it's beautifully stated by Pope Francis.

At least the BBC is reporting that 'not quite the numbers expected' turning up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I managed to get my hands on 35 tickets. They have been put in the blue recycling bin

Absent protestors - all for it

Autochange wrote: »
    I managed to get my hands on 35 tickets. They have been put in the blue recycling bin

Aren’t you great! Feel proud of yourself do you?

What exactly do you think that’ll achieve?

:D

The Roman Catholic Church are well able to do that by themselves

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosie2018

At least the BBC is reporting that 'not quite the numbers expected' turning up.

Francie Brady scans all media for what he wants to hear.

Move over.. there's only one Francie in town and it ain't you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Aren’t you great! Feel proud of yourself do you?

What exactly do you think that’ll achieve?

Im feeling ok. Would have hoped for a few more though.

Personally, and indeed practically, I think it would have been better to organise both tickets and transport via your parish in the first instance. I think everyone who wanted to go to the Mass in Phoenix Park tomorrow, did get a ticket, as long as they booked back when tickets were available.

People "prevented" from going now, are probably tourists or those who didn't think they would make it at the time, but now can.
    But there are still places on social media to get tickets for free if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Petty and mean-spirited would be an understatement and letting them off lightly.

Rosie2018 wrote: »
    Francie Brady scans all media for what he wants to hear.

Move over.. there's only one Francie in town and it ain't you :)

Tough to hear Rosie?

• Advertisement
Advertisement