Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

how can you watch traitors that did not boycott them ?

I didn’t call for a boycott?????

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Rosie2018 wrote: »
    The church has it's doctrine, it wouldn't be the church if not. Do you think it should adapt to what's convenient for you?

if they want people to go to their shows, yes, why not ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosie2018

Peatys wrote: »
    I'm sure it's just coincidence that not long after the abortion and gay marriage referendums passed the pope turns up on a propaganda tour.
    If you're sick of looking at tourists trying to spread out in a half full croker, have a goo a this.

Step outside the aul echo chamber

I think you're not the sharpest Peaty. This was organised long before the Abortion Referendum, probably Gay Marriage too. All Irelands put back etc.

if they want people to go to their shows, yes, why not ?

People are going anyway.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The church has it's doctrine, it wouldn't be the church if not. Do you think it should adapt to what's convenient for you?
    Nope, but it should be called out for exactly what it is, and we should stop pretending that it's a bastion of decency.

People are going anyway.

going away you mean, mass shows are almost empty these days

Looks like it's gonna be a wet one tomorrow.....

Phoenix Park is never gonna be same again!

Piss **** dentures and zimmer frames all over the place!

Well don't go if your health isn't up to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I was just chatting with a relative there who was saying her lovely neighbours had gotten up a 7am in the morning, in the pissing rain, to wave them off with Union Flegs and jeering back in 1979.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

your poor ma, would you not help her ?

Ah me ma hasn't got to that stage yet! She's only in her 50s!

• Advertisement

going away you mean, mass shows are almost empty these days

Not where I'm from in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

awec wrote: »
    Religion "gives" many people the structure to live "good" lives, as deemed "good" by the church.

These are some of the things that we enjoy freely today, despite kicking and screaming from the church: divorce, contraception, married women in the public sector, being gay and not being a criminal, tampons.

You understand that, right? The church believes people who wear condoms are not good people, in fact I think it labelled them "evil".

Many of our modern human rights come from religion : killing another human being wrong at all times, the concept of forgiveness and a person being given a second chance. charity towards others, the need to look after the poor etc. It is not entirely clear if all of these would have developed without the Church : they might have but then again might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I'm sure it's just coincidence that not long after the abortion and gay marriage referendums passed the pope turns up on a propaganda tour.
    If you're sick of looking at tourists trying to spread out in a half full croker, have a goo a this.

Step outside the aul echo chamber

Yes as it was announced in Philadelphia in 2015 that it would be held in Dublin in 2018.
    The Pope always attends this event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I think you're not the sharpest Peaty. This was organised long before the Abortion Referendum, probably Gay Marriage too. All Irelands put back etc.
    When do you think it was organised?

Strazdas wrote: »
    Many of our modern human rights come from religion : killing another human being wrong at all times, the concept of forgiveness and a person being given a second chance. charity towards others, the need to look after the poor etc. It is not entirely clear if all of these would have developed without the Church : they might have but then again might not.
    You have absolutely no idea whatsoever if this is true or not.

I think we already busted this myth about 10 pages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Not where I'm from in Kilkenny.

The twilight zone in Kilkenny?

• Advertisement

When do you think it was organised?

2014/2015 I'd say. Around Philadelphia 2015. Like World Cups.

In fairness the pope is speaking well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Like you say Awec, they aren't behind the fence when it comes to taking credit for the good stuff. :)

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The twilight zone in Kilkenny?

No. A modern Irish county. Not Bubba land ;)

Strazdas wrote: »
    Many of our modern human rights come from religion : killing another human being wrong at all times,

no its not, not if the people vote for it in a referendum, like most Catholics did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Rosie2018 wrote:
    Move over.. there's only one Francie in town and it ain't you

Tut tut calling Pope Francis "Francie" I only called him Frank which you took great exception to. Hypocrite much? lol

• Advertisement

no its not, not if the people vote for it in a referendum

It might be legal. But it's not moral for a practising Catholic. If you're in the club you have rules.

It might be legal. But it's not moral for a practising Catholic. If you're in the club you have rules.

No you don't as many Catholic's who met the Pope today proved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Was that what all those religious wars and butchery that went on, was for? Refining men? Who knew!
    More nonsense.

Maybe read a book, its considered the leading factor in why humans survived/evolved. They had a reason to come together that was it. It created a us when before there was only a I
    Like i dont give a **** about religion either way but smarter people than i have it as the deciding factor
    In the exact same way as sports work today with tribalism, its not hard to see a Munster connection the same way as a Leinster connection
    Before was religion now we have sports

The number of catholics who abide by all the rules must be somewhere around the zero mark.

If that is your definition of catholic then you're in a very exclusive club.

'We' are you some sort of plurality now?! You busted nothing kid but just kept repeating ad nauseum, 'prove me wrong'.

Discodog wrote: »
    Religion had to exist. People had to be scared in order to obey. But that has changed, we have the law now.

Religion was around a lot longer than the need to obey, christ does anyone on here read

What happens people who rape children in your church?

Autochange wrote: »
    It will die off.

If your next argument is , i just know i will die :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Shhh!

Nothing usually.

Sometimes a promotion.

• Advertisement

The number of catholics who abide by all the rules must be somewhere around the zero mark.

If that is your definition of catholic then you're in a very exclusive club.

100% wrong. What's new. A third of the population voted against abortion. How is that around zero? Have you a survey on Catholics who don't use contraception? Thought not..

It just further illustrates that you talk nonsense.

Nothing usually.

Sometimes a promotion.

And a cover up and denial from the faithful and a trip in a pickup around Dublin for the man who oversees it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Nothing usually.

Sometimes a promotion.

Or a nice 4 bed house in a county of your choosing!!

100% wrong. What's new. A third of the population voted against abortion. How is that around zero? Have you a survey on Catholics who don't use contraception? Thought not..

It just further illustrates that you talk nonsense.

and yet 80% of people in Ireland are Catholic according to the census, so the referendum would never have passed unless lots of Catholics voted for abortion.

I've never witnessed a rape in my church. I'd go to the gardai.

What do you do when people are raped in your political party? Aren't you a big fan of the BBC? Did you complain online or in print about their sex scandals and rape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

If there is something worse than devout Catholics it's Protestants.

and yet 80% of people in Ireland are Catholic according to the census, so the referendum would never have passed unless lots of Catholics voted for abortion.

That wasn't the question posed. Zero percent of Catholics practice properly according to Mr. I don't have to prove anything just say stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, in some organisations, those who are guilty of child abuse get helped to find a job working with children in another jurisdiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Modern society could have decided that killing others is absolutely fine and not a taboo at all. It is far from a given that society would have adapted and evolved at the same pace without the existence of the Church.

The idea of forgiving those who do personal harm to you seemed to emerge with Christianity and did not exist before then.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get too annoyed at him, he is just trying to troll the thread. He knows very well that Adams addressed his faults in the issue with his brother. And there are no child abuse cases ongoing in a court nor none pending against any member of SF that I am aware of.

Just like the Church got away with it for years, so does the Republican movement, just ask Mairia Cahill.

Nope, but it should be called out for exactly what it is, and we should stop pretending that it's a bastion of decency.

Do you call out every institution or is it just the church?
    Rabble rabble rabble rant rant rant

I've never witnessed a rape in my church. I'd go to the gardai.

Oh wow, you really sidestepped that one so brilliantly. :rolleyes:
    What do you do when people are raped in your political party? Aren't you a big fan of the BBC? Did you complain online or in print about their sex scandals and rape?

I don't have a political party, if you are referring to SF, I condemn and cheer when any politician who has commited an abuse goes to jail.

Same as a television station. I certainly don't condone it by sidestepping questions because they highlight the hypocrisy of my position, like you just did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

PS....lying is a sin..

So is raping kids.

Nothing usually.

Sometimes a promotion.

How the fcuk did you become a moderator? Trite, cheap statements. Narrow minded, absolute trash talking..

And a cover up and denial from the faithful and a trip in a pickup around Dublin for the man who oversees it all.

Beats a trip around South Armagh in a blindfold wondering if you will get home alive.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Just like the Church got away with it for years, so does the Republican movement, just ask Mairia Cahill.

Maria was raped by a man, allegedly not a 'movement'.. He hasn't had his day in court , to answer the allegations. A court he willingly turned up to.
    But you get the noose out anyway there blanch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So is raping kids.

Where did I say it wasn't?

In my opinion it is a vile act,and those guilty of it should receive the utmost punishment.

If you think it is the same as lying,I'd be worried about you.

Oh wow, you really sidestepped that one so brilliantly. :rolleyes:

I don't have a political party, if you are referring to SF, I condemn and cheer when any politician who has commited an abuse goes to jail.

Same as a television station. I certainly don't condone it by sidestepping questions because they highlight the hypocrisy of my position, like you just did.

Whatever Francie, your just anti Catholic. Turn a blind eye to abuse in your particular areas of interest.

How the fcuk did you become a moderator? Trite, cheap statements. Narrow minded, absolute trash talking..

Cursing and using bad language and calling people names, how Christian of you.
    Swearing is also against the forum charter.

Whatever Francie, your just anti Catholic. Turn a blind eye to abuse in your particular areas of interest.

Now we get into scurrilous innuendo because you cannot answer the question. Brilliantly pathetic. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement