Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

It's funny though even for people who are against it, everyone seems to be watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sounds like Glastonbury which sells out in 4 minutes every year.

But there is no religious element to it, just great muddy fun! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gael23 wrote: »
    Looks like the begrudgers didn’t get their way.
    Huge turnout

Ahem. I took this about 15 minutes ago:
    906_C1282-81_E0-4_FEF-_AA15-8_BD09069_D4_B9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

road_high wrote: »
    They have been quick to move on from that angle each time!

To be honest, I think RTE needs to show this.
    It’s an important moment for Ireland and it’s not meant to be doing a PR job.
    If the place is empty. Let’s see it empty. That’s a very important message being sent by the Irish public.

It's funny though even for people who are against it, everyone seems to be watching

No law against that. I think a lot are watching to see how low the crowd is and comment is free!

I think it is the marking of the passing of such religious events in this country anymore, so is therefore historic.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

all very giddy watchig it too lol.

I am enjoying the music and singing. Very good.

I was expecting Kumbaya on a loop!

From a social history point of view, it’s interesting. Not that surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Not a mission is that 300,000 in the overhead shot. Max 150,000

Official figure is 299,992. So not a bad guess :p

FWIW I'd say you'll see about 300k mentioned as a turnout, whether thats accurate is another thing, but all things considered it's probably a realistic ballpark expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

McDermotX wrote: »

FWIW I'd say you'll see about 300k mentioned as a turnout, whether thats accurate is another thing, but all things considered it's probably a realistic ballpark

Official from who ? The gardai are the only ones that will give an official figure, and it wont be until after the event.

• Advertisement

All those priests in dresses and headgear. It is so unnecessary to me and looks medieval.

Frankie I think, would prefer it to be much simpler, with maybe just a server or two to help him.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Official from who ? The gardai are the only ones that will give an official figure, and it wont be until after the event.

Whoosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

No way there is even close to 300k people at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FWIW I'd say you'll see about 300k mentioned as a turnout, whether thats accurate is another thing, but all things considered it's probably a realistic ballpark expectation.

That is probably based on tickets issued.
    It is no were near 299,000. think about that for a second and look at the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Whoosh

Whoosh what ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ahem. I took this about 15 minutes ago:

That picture doesn't show it all though.

They had those corrals all over the place In the park. Not just in front of the cross. By the football pitches, chapelizod gates, all along chesterfield avenue.

The tickets an attendee got, gave them a designated area to go to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The resident Unionists giving out about the Pope. Talk about a complete lack of self-awareness.

How dare people be critical of the Pope and his pedophile organization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

He really knows how to work the altar. Look at that chalice work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

jrkb wrote: »
    No way there is even close to 300k people at it.

Any figures from the protest gathering yet?(assuming some people on here are there)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

It's even funnier that those that are complaining will and probably have got married in a Church and their kids will or have already made their Communions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

What do massgoers, who normally stand outside the church while it's going on, do at a gig like this? Must be very confusing.

That is probably based on tickets issued.
    It is no were near 299,000. think about that for a second and look at the picture.

You'd be surprised trying to guesstimate crowds. It's a notoriously difficult concept to grasp as various pictures can paint a different perspective.
    Personally I wouldn't cross the road to attend it, in fact its probably less than 8 miles from me. No problem with anyone who wants to head along if thats their bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The only woman on the altar is a lectern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

No law against that. I think a lot are watching to see how low the crowd is and comment is free!

I doubt that's the reason a lot are. We're all voyeurs at the end of the day and it is a big event.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

ewc78 wrote: »
    It's even funnier that those that are complaining will and probably have got married in a Church and their kids will or have already made their Communions.

The same mob were also rounding figures up for the water protest but rounding down for this..

Suits you sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Any figures from the protest gathering yet?

By protest gathering do you mean the event to remember and stand with victims of child abuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Any figures from the protest gathering yet?(assuming some people on here are there)

Im not watching the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

They are all standing at the back grabbing the pamphlet to show their mams to prove they went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

They are all standing at the back grabbing the pamphlet to show their mams to prove they went

Who did the reading and gave out communion?

You'd be surprised trying to guesstimate crowds. It's a notoriously difficult concept to grasp as various pictures can paint a different perspective.
    Personally I wouldn't cross the road to attend it, in fact its probably less than 8 miles from me. No problem with anyone who wants to head along if thats their bag.

It isn't that hard to do from an over head.
    Create a square over the densest part of the crowd (to be kind to them) estimate how many are in it. Quite easy to make a guess then. 150,000 would be my guess from the pic and that is being kind.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    By protest gathering do you mean the event to remember and stand with victims of child abuse?

The "Nope to the Pope" campaign.

@NickyRyan_: Big crowd here at Nope To The Pope protest #PopeInIreland #WMOF2018 https://twitter.com/NickyRyan_/status/1033704848624168962/photo/1

Can’t speak for anyone else but I had a civil ceremony. :) No kids but they wouldn’t be raised Catholic.

I got married in a church and yes, my sons went through all the ceremonies. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it again if I had a do-over. My eldest is getting married next year and it won't be in a church. Really looking forward to that

I got married in a church and yes, my sons went through all the ceremonies. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it again if I had a do-over. My eldest is getting married next year and it won't be in a church. Really looking forward to that

Civil ceremonies are increasing in popularity year-on-year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's a ridiculously big space. How many acres is it?

Civil ceremonies are increasing in popularity year-on-year.

Is there a civil ceremony type thingy for funerals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

The "Nope to the Pope" campaign.

@NickyRyan_: Big crowd here at Nope To The Pope protest #PopeInIreland #WMOF2018 https://twitter.com/NickyRyan_/status/1033704848624168962/photo/1
    That's also including the fact that plenty were struggling to get into the city as public transport is notoriously unreliable today... So pretty great turnout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's a ridiculously big space. How many acres is it?

The sports field next to it is known as the 15 acres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

This is a bangin’ tune

Yep, humanist funerals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No doubt there will be criticism, and it remains to be seen wht difference it will make, but as apologies went that was a pretty thorough, given the time available, apology.

I think so but as of yet, it seems pretty rare in Ireland. I guess because the deceased doesn’t always plan their own funeral so people go for the familiar, tried and true formula at a time of sadness and distress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

os96gz.jpg

Lots of empty spaces, no way they got the turn out as expected.

Must be only about 25% of 1979's turnout.

Huge change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Lionel Messi has aged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Don't know exactly how tickets were booked (all online presumably?). There are a lot of people in the target market who just wouldn't have the tech savvy to go to the hassle (as they saw it). Those people are probably a bit disappointed to see enough empty space for 50,000 (and more) tickets at the door.

Did they give them out at parish and church level? Would have been the ideal way to reach the target audience

murpho999 wrote: »
    os96gz.jpg

Huge change.

Have they shown anywhere else around the park? Only about 1/3 of the space for attendees is by the cross.

os96gz.jpg

Huge change.

And remember, the population has grown a lot since 1979!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have they shown anywhere else around the park? Only about 1/3 of the space for attendees is by the cross.

That's most of the area. Why would't those spaces be full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

os96gz.jpg

Huge change.

1979 was an enermous event and a seminal moment in recent Irish history- people still refer to it as a landmark- what they were doing or where they were.
    This will be largely forgotten within weeks

• Advertisement

Ach stop. You are looking at it all.

Map_850x445_WEB4.jpg

Advertisement