Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

at the very least to shame them and their families in the future
    Calm down m8, the internet isn't ready for a hardman like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How dare they freely chose to be actively religious and embrace a personal faith :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I didn't go and had no interest in going but the intolerance shown in this thread is astounding and, frankly, worries me when I consider the future for Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

journal.ie claims 500,000 were booked out and 130,000 attended.

Largest attendance of sheep anywhere in the world this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

iguana wrote: »
    Considering that in Limerick, a county with a population of 195k, had 120k turn out for an All-Ireland win. I'd say it's safe to say that an Irish men's soccer world cup win could see crowds way, way in (proportional) excess of anything seen in 1979.

Pretty sure the crowd after the World Cups in 90 & 94 were higher than today but to be fair one of those also had the Saw Doctors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I didn't go and had no interest in going but the intolerance shown in this thread is astounding and, frankly, worries me when I consider the future for Irish society.

This is an overstatement. Most people are just commenting on the events and the Catholic Church’s decline in the country. That’s not intolerant.

Unlike you, I feel very positive about the future of this nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

500,000 places, only 130,000 turn up, guess those of us protesting this event have struck a major success.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/pope-visit-ireland-dublin-15074489

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RoryMac wrote: »
    Pretty sure the crowd after the World Cups in 90 & 94 were higher than today but to be fair one of those also had the Saw Doctors

The turn out in 94 was famously embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

500,000 places, only 130,000 turn up, guess those of us protesting this event have struck a major success.

We weren't the reason why only 130k turned up. There were tickets available all the way up to the window closing for those that wanted them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

RoryMac wrote: »

Yeah well in Limerick we had to endure Bressie before the team showed up but we still soldiered on!:D

• Advertisement

We weren't the reason why only 130k turned up. There were tickets available all the way up to the window closing for those that wanted them

Any contribution that denies the RCC an audience is a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Look at these 500 guys at the Stand For Truth protest. They must have been walking past the camera, then running very fast around the block so they could walk back past the camera to inflate their massive numbers.

https://www.facebook.com/100004589328097/videos/1042578915905076/?hc_ref=ARQwkpc1MLUj8b9YUMQcpX9BPZSTs9cNjULeQdWgX_poClK9YOXoLUjNqixrBcFQal4&__xts__

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

That's funny. I find the fact 130k turned up to support this farce astounding and, frankly, worries me when I consider the future for Irish society.

Francis will be lucky to make Christmas if the allegations coming out this morning from the US get traction in the Vatican.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Is he gone yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Some muppet on TV3 after claiming it could have been nearly 300,000 in the Park , Jesus some people don’t like hearing the truth.
    I wonder if they will even release the proper attendance all tickets were scanned so they will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Tzardine wrote: »
    In 79, over 1 million people turned up. About 35% of the whole country.

If it is 130,000 today then thats 2.7%, and that includes everybody involved in the event.

That says it all really. What would it be in another 40 years when the current group of older people die off. The Pope could probably not fill a Starbucks then.

Dont forget also that 400000 turned up in Limerick

350000 in Drogeda

300000 in Galway

450 000 at Knock

Plus 750 000 lined the streets of Dublin on his way back from Drogeda

These are recorded facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It looks to me about 80,000 or so based on similar images of concerts. Roughly one Croke Park load or two and a half Leitrims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

So much bitterness on this thread against the church
    It was a very small minority of priests whom abused their position. You would swear they were all at it the way some clowns here go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

billyhead wrote: »
    It was a very small minority of priests whom abused their position. You would swear they were all at it the way some clowns here go on.

And it was the church that covered it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oh Jeepers is that all, poor COG will be crying into his cornflakes.

Well given that he's a victim of abuse you'd understand the occasional cry no?

Or maybe you think an upset abuse victim is hilarious...

• Advertisement

It's the continued cover up people are mad over. I thought that's obvious to everyone, but obviously not to a clown like you (to use your own word).

Francis will be lucky to make Christmas as Pope with the allegations coming out of the US against him this morning.

But it was all levels of the organization that conspired from the Vatican down to silence victims and cover it up.

You might not want to admit that to yourself but that's the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Wrong, every nun and priest in the country knew there were bad things going on the the laundries and industrial schools. They're all guilty of doing nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    It's the continued cover up people are mad over. I thought that's obvious to everyone, but obviously not to a clown like you (to use your own word).

Francis will be lucky to make Christmas as Pope with the allegations coming out of the US against him this morning.

Who’s going to fire him?

All the Catholic Church defenders on here moaning about intolerance whilst mocking victims of child abuse at the same time. Muppets.

You'd like that to be true but don't delude yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Wrong, every nun and priest in the country knew there were bad things going on the the laundries and industrial schools. They're all guilty of doing nothing

why would criminals cease criminal activity if the state is still not going to ever prosecute them or uphold criminal justice then or now ?

Allinall wrote: »
    Who’s going to fire him?

Same reason Benedict was made stand down. Too wrapped up in the cover up and the Vatican will hide them away before a Pope has a chance od getting an arrest warrant against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Those priests moved themselves to other parishes and kept them away from being subject to the laws by various means did They?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    You'd like that to be true but don't delude yourself

Me deluded ? :rolleyes:

There were 500,000 spaces and only 130,000 showed up, we definitely contributed to that. the only deluded folks are the ones who support this corrupt organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

You just don't/refuse to get it do you. The issue is now less with the small minority of priests its with the hierarchy moving them on to different dioceses to do the same to other children rather than turning them in. The issue is the cover up not necessarily the deed. I hope that makes it clearer for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Where two or three are gathered in My Name I am with them." Jesus Christ . I was there in spirit on RTE and it was a magnificent, joyful and uplifting occasion. I wish I could have been there in person. There were crowds there, wonderful crowds. Great numbers.

At Knock, earlier, there were 45,000, a capacity attendance... strong sincere folk with joy in their hearts; lots of families.

The atmosphere was sheer joy and sincere.

Please excuse me now? Very, very unwell but happy at the day. So over and out from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Small number ?

How will we know we never properly investigated and the church is actively destroying documents even up to today.

Who’s going to fire him?
    No body will fire him ...he will slip away into the night with the excuse of ill health or the likes..

Who’s going to fire him?

God?sure hes real isnt he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Dont forget also that 400000 turned up in Limerick

350000 in Drogeda

300000 in Galway

450 000 at Knock

Plus 750 000 lined the streets of Dublin on his way back from Drogeda

These are recorded facts.

https://youtu.be/3f6YPyc_OuI

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

No it wasn’t.

Residents were able to come and go as they pleased.

no they were not, they were made prisoners in their own homes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Tzardine wrote: »
    road_high wrote: »
    That’s brutal if true

In 79, over 1 million people turned up. About 35%  of the whole country.

If it is 130,000 today then thats 2.7%, and that includes everybody involved in the event.

That says it all really. What would it be in another 40 years when the current group of older people die off. The Pope could probably not fill a Starbucks then.
    Haha. Shocking from the Catholic Church.

Graces7 wrote: »
    "Where two or three are gathered in My Name I am with them." Jesus Christ . I was there in spirit on RTE and it was a magnificent, joyful and uplifting occasion. I wish I could have been there in person. There were crowds there, wonderful crowds. Great numbers.

At Knock, earlier, there were 45,000, a capacity attendance... strong sincere folk with joy in their hearts; lots of families.

The atmosphere was sheer joy and sincere.

Please excuse me now? Very, very unwell but happy at the day. So over and out from here.

I hope you said a few prayers that the church will stop covering up the sexual abuse of children while you watched the "joy" of the occasion.

Graces7 wrote: »

Please excuse me now? Very, very unwell but happy at the day.

Think you might need to get that fever checked, you seem delerious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE not mentioning the numbers, just thousands. And suggesting a bit hit rather than relative tumble weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

no they were not, they were made prisoners in their own homes

My experience, and that of my neighbours would make your claim rubbish.

What are you basing your spurious claim on?

Small numbers, current scandals in the US has numbers at over 300 priests in a small enough area. Go look at the list of convicted brothers and priests in Ireland currently available on line. That list is only a drop in the ocean of what was actually going on.

harr wrote: »
    Small numbers, current scandals in the US has numbers at over 300 priests in a small enough area. Go look at the list of convicted brothers and priests in Ireland currently available on line. That list is only a drop in the ocean of what was actually going on.

And god help all those poorer catholic countries globally where the church still has all the power. Rampant abuse still going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

billyhead wrote:
    So much bitterness on this thread against the church It was a very small minority of priests whom abused their position. You would swear they were all at it the way some clowns here go on.

Small amount of priests but the whole of the Catholic Church covered it up. Moving the small amount of priests allowing the number they abuse to double & triple.

It's a cop out saying only a few priests when they all covered it up & still trying to cover it up even today despite the popes words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

RTE not mentioning the numbers, just thousands. And suggesting a bit hit rather than relative tumble weed.

They are saving it for later. When the pope goes home rte will have debate programs on where did it all go wrong. RTE will milk this story all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm all for a Papal visit, and living near the PP, but one thing I didn't take into account is that I can't get a Chinese tonight, none of them are delivering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

In fairness, I would primarily attribute the reduced numbers to apathy, disillusionment with the church and poor weather. No doubt protesting also played a part, although it’s not something that I was aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Small amount of priests but the whole of the Catholic Church covered it up. Moving the small amount of priests allowing the number they abuse to double & triple.

It's a cop out saying only a few priests when they all covered it up & still trying to cover it up even today despite the popes words

A good priest covering for a bad priest is worse than the bad one because he allows the abuse to continue. Pedophiles may have some excuse, the rest that allowed it don't.

Sky News: Francis faces call to resign over abuse cover-up claim

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/pope-in-ireland-francis-faces-call-to-resign-over-abuse-cover-up-claim-11483048?__twitter_impression=true

This isn't going to go away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement