Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Richard Bingham

cdeb wrote: »
    TV culture would affect the crowd too; nowadays, people watch everything on TV and wouldn't think of going somewhere.

As a smaller example, LoI clubs have given out about having their games live on telly because it hits crowds. Why bother getting off your arse if you can watch in 42" HD?

Wasn't an option in 79.

Exactly, look at all the fncktards on here who would be at it but they watched it on TV instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's your opinion of her and just because you've explained it several times doesn't deny those who disagree with your points any less valid than yours.

The Times, independent and RTE are all biased in their reporting and it dose not make them reputable sources.

You've made yourself clear now. There were two options someone manipulating the situation or someone being manipulated. You could have saved me a lot of time if you were honest at the start.

I now know to ignore your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Every single excuse at this stage. Other than people being disinterested in the popes visit...........

I think the poster is correct to a degree. In the weeks running up to the thing there were seriously hyped 'warnings' about being prepared to walk several miles, bring sun screen, bottles of water, pack food, you need to be fit to get to the venue etc.

Let's face it, the target market is mostly past its prime. My own mother, very devout in her own way, didn't countenance the idea, saying she'd see it far better on t.v.

All this is not to mention the fact that we haven't 'matured' as a nation, so much as we've just gotten significantly better off than we were almost half a century ago. Organised religion appeals mostly to less well off populations. Look at South America and Africa for example, he'd be a rock star in those places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The couples taking marriage advice off the Pope, a single allegedly celibate man, is one crazy aspect of the weekend .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

The church is against homosexuality yet their members raped little boy’s

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »

That's a crazy comment. Homosexuality is not paedophilia. Educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

PotatoSpud wrote: »
    I feel like the low attendance is as much a representation of just how little Irish people think of Dublin's infrastructure as it is emblematic of the rapidly declining Catholic church. The city was totally unequipped to deal with the expected numbers and people were sensible enough to realise it wasn't worth the effort. Practically none of my very religious relatives entertained the idea of heading up to it.

Getting into Dublin is a chore, getting around it when an event is on is significantly worse. I imagine a lot of people just heard 500k, remembered the last time they went up to Dublin without realising there was some big event on, and immediately dismissed the idea of heading. Or (like my mam) discovered a few days before that they'd have to walk a couple of miles just to get to their entrance and couldn't be arsed.

Was the infrastructure better in 1979? That’s a pretty weak excuse to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Does anyone know where he stayed last night?

Papal Nuncio's residence on Navan Road would be my guess.

Only because a relative said John Paul II stayed there in 79.

I then google what a Papal Nuncio was. So he's appointed by, and represents the pope in this jutdistiction. Equivalent of a diplomat in a roundabout way. Makes sense he'd have stayed at his residence. Could be wrong though.

Farmleigh ruled out as it wasn't an official state visit. Despite having a strong resemblance to one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Does anyone know where he stayed last night?

My surmisation is Farmleigh

Someone told me the Papal Nuncio though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

EdgeCase wrote: »
    People didn't want to go.
    The infrastructure was infinitely worse in 1979.
    People trek to concerts, matches and all sorts of stuff all the time without any issues.

Not only that but they had pulled out all the stops to make this run smoothly and it was on a Sunday without traffic issues.

If people wanted to be there, they'd be there!

I have never gone to a concert or football match where you can only get there by Dublin bus. The Dublin bus drops you an hour plus from the entrance to the venue. And you are told you must leave home in the Dublin area at least 4-5 hours ahead of the start of the event. Because the event is sold out, but it proves not to be.

All of those things happened today and the bus transport system deployed was a shambles really under the circumstances. It made it overly burdensome to attend this, and between that and the weather, a significant number of people decided not to travel. I was almost one of them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You need to learn the difference between homosexuality and paedophilia as well as boys and boy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have never gone to a concert or football match where you can only get there by Dublin bus. The Dublin bus drops you an hour plus from the entrance to the venue. And you are told you must leave home in the Dublin area at least 4-5 hours ahead of the start of the event. Because the event is sold out, but it proves not to be.

All of those things happened today and the bus transport system deployed was a shambles really under the circumstances. It made it overly burdensome to attend this, and between that and the weather, a significant number of people decided not to travel. I was almost one of them myself.

Or..........the interest just isn't there anymore.

You should try heading to Slane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So 250,000 people just weren't arsed to make the effort? What an insult to the pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

homosexuals cannot rape boys and cannot be pedophiles, only pedophile priests can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

h2005 wrote: »
    Was the infrastructure better in 1979? That’s a pretty weak excuse to be honest

I think the point about older, religious types, being dissuaded by the trip into the big smoke, is valid. Mind you, were they all to attend, they would still be hard pressed to get near the 500k number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to face facts, the vast majority of people who call themselves Catholics in the last census couldn't be arsed to go see this event. They aren't really Catholics at all.

And a but of rain probably kept many at home who had planned to go.

Dying embers............try staging this in 20 years and you'll see what turnout is like.....in fact I don't even think the CC would try to do it again, they know how bad it would look.

That was the farewell tour for the pope in Ireland. He'll have to hit Africa and the likes from now on. Good old religious Ireland has left the building.

If people are so devoted and believing then they would not miss this event for the world as it's only happened twice in 39 years.

Truth is Ireland is just not as religious as it was as evidenced in the two referendums on Abortion and Same-Sex marriage.

No need to make up excuses for the low numbers.

You should try heading to Slane.

There isn't an act in the world that would get me to Slane now. Too much hassle. But we had a good day out today, all the same. Not fashionable to talk about it, but several hundred thousand people came away today very happy with it, despite the rain and the transport hassle.

There isn't an act in the world that would get me to Slane now. Too much hassle. But we had a good day out today, all the same. Not fashionable to talk about it, but several hundred thousand people came away today very happy with it, despite the rain and the transport hassle.

There's transport hassle in Dublin every day of the year, it wasn't something done deliberately to annoy you folk today.

I think the poster is correct to a degree. In the weeks running up to the thing there were seriously hyped 'warnings' about being prepared to walk several miles, bring sun screen, bottles of water, pack food, you need to be fit to get to the venue etc.

Let's face it, the target market is mostly past its prime. My own mother, very devout in her own way, didn't countenance the idea, saying she'd see it far better on t.v.

All this is not to mention the fact that we haven't 'matured' as a nation, so much as we've just gotten significantly better off than we were almost half a century ago. Organised religion appeals mostly to less well off populations. Look at South America and Africa for example, he'd be a rock star in those places.

Agreed, along with the ticket burning people were definitely told it was going to be like an expedition to Everest, no shuttle buses put on or nothing, media scare stories about temporary morgues instead etc. Bottom line the authorities didn't want people to go and spun that way as much as possible, that and the fact the weather was pure shyte, even if l was catholic and living in Dublin I wouldn't be arsed going.

• Advertisement

Agreed, along with the ticket burning people were definitely told it was going to be like an expedition to Everest, no shuttle buses put on or nothing, media scare stories about temporary morgues instead etc. Bottom line the authorities didn't want people to go and spun that way as much as possible, that and the fact the weather was pure shyte, even if l was catholic and living in Dublin I wouldn't be arsed going.

the authorities didnt want people to go!?

the fukcin town was bloody shut down for this private party for the fukcin weekend

would ye stop would ye

What the Gardai had to say.
    An Garda Síochána are urging the following:

Leave your car at home
    Take public transport to and from the event or use private coaches
    If travelling within Dublin walk to the transport hubs
    Be prepared to walk on the day and suitable footwear is recommended
    Your mobile phone may run out of battery, please arrange meeting points in the event you become separated
    Those who have booked a ticket and indicated they would like to travel by car will be contacted next week by the World Meeting of Families.

In other words, nothing more arduous than going to a match in Croke Park. Give it up lads, you are codding nobody.

I doubt it was that many to be honest.

Must be down 70-80% on 1979's figures.

What the Gardai had to say.

In other words, nothing more arduous than going to a match in Croke Park. Give it up lads, you are codding nobody.

Grand. Must have been imaging it this morning so. You must have been omnipresent to experience this 'trip to Croke park'

In the great scheme of things, it was a flop.

There will be some who defend it like their lives depend on it, but it was a flop, end of.

Grand. Must have been imaging it this morning so. You must have been omnipresent to experience this 'trip to Croke park'

you imaged several hundred thousand people so we can surmise from there yr agenda tbh

NIMAN wrote: »
    In the great scheme of things, it was a flop.

There will be some who defend it like their lives depend on it, but it was a flop, end of.

I'm amazed anyone went to it given all the child abuse that went on, it was far from a flop.

Omnipresent? It was raining as it frequently does in the country and it manages not to grind to a halt.

Like you guys are deceiving yourselves now (and nobody else) the organisers of this event similarly deceived themselves into believing that over 500,000 people would be interested in listening to platitudes about horrific abuses committed here and across the world.
    They got their answer, go away, create some real accountability and change and maybe, just maybe you might people to turn out the next time the pope comes to town (But I think you would be further deceiving yourself that that will happen in any of our lifetimes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Watching tonight, so wholesome seeing young people engaged with their faith but then you hear the account that the daughter of one of those abused and you can see why it cuts so deeply.

I'm amazed anyone went to it given all the child abuse that went on, it was far from a flop.

Despite all the evils this church has perpetrated, there are people who thinks it can do no wrong.

If you still stand by a church that has been hiding paedos for years, moving them around to rape again, offering to pay redress and then not paying it and even trying to do secret deals to get the taxpayer to cover the cost, who openly campaign against same sex marriage and what women do with their own bodies, then you aren't going to ever question them.

Thankfully, these people are becoming a small minority in Ireland, and declining as each decade passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

The interest level isn't there, tickets were free, some people already got to see him on the street or at Croke Park and couldn't be bothered going twice
    The repeated warnings about the long walk, the presumption that the weather was going to be foul, the lack of parking anywhere in the vicinity, plus protesters were all factors

If they were truly devout pilgrims the place should have had 500,000 people and it clearly didn't
    They massively overestimated and then shot themselves in the foot with the warnings they were dishing out.

However, the people that went were probably pleased with themselves

I think it was the best outcome all round really. Those who really wanted to go did, other curious people could watch it on TV
    Meanwhile the various protests that were arranged were 100% peaceful, dignified and solemn which considering the reasons for protesting says a lot for the national character.

The Church still have enough positive footage and cute moments to push their narrative
    People who object had their voices heard

I just hope those directly affected by church scandals are not forgotten about now that its all over and they get the closure they deserve.

For me this one trip might have been worthwhile had the man apologised and admitted their sins.

He couldn't even do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

harr wrote: »
    Small numbers, current scandals in the US has numbers at over 300 priests in a small enough area. Go look at the list of convicted brothers and priests in Ireland currently available on line. That list is only a drop in the ocean of what was actually going on.

That's the bit that boggles my mind. 300 in Philadelphia or Pennsylvania or whatever, out of how many total in that area? Could you imagine the uproar if a company - Microsoft, apple, facebook, even closer to home like esb, an Post etc - had 300 paedophile employees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Got to face facts, the vast majority of people who call themselves Catholics in the last census couldn't be arsed to go see this event. They aren't really Catholics at all.

And a but of rain probably kept many at home who had planned to go.

Dying embers............try staging this in 20 years and you'll see what turnout is like.....in fact I don't even think the CC would try to do it again, they know how bad it would look.

That was the farewell tour for the pope in Ireland. He'll have to hit Africa and the likes from now on. Good old religious Ireland has left the building.

Are you even aware that the event that was held this week was the World Meeting Of Families? This had been scheduled for Ireland in August 2018 for the last three years or so. The event in Croke Park last night would have gone ahead with 80,000 people in attendance even without the Pope present.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Are you even aware that the event that was held this week was the World Meeting Of Families? This had been scheduled for Ireland in August 2018 for the last three years or so. The event in Croke Park last night would have gone ahead with 80,000 people in attendance even without the Pope present.

Yes, the WMOF helped bolster the overall figures, cos lets be honest, it brought in a lot of religious tourists to the weekend.

If it had just been a pope visit to Ireland and nothing else, the figures would have been shockingly low.

For me this one trip might have been worthwhile had the man apologised and admitted their sins.

He couldn't even do that.

Cripes you really didn't watch much of the coverage did you, that's all him and the media spoke about. Repeat rinse, repeat rinse. And then a few hours after saying sorry for the 100th time, and admitting the church sinned, more calls for him to do the same thing again, repeat rinse.

Action not more useless words repeated over and over and over for the last 20 years, is what we need from the Church, media and Irish state.

Not a single Irish bishop has been arrested and convicted yet, and the state is refusing to carry out it responsibilities for enacting criminal justice and putting some of these criminal Irish Bishops in the clink. When did the state start expecting criminals to be self policing ? what a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

kenmc wrote: »
    That's the bit that boggles my mind. 300 in Philadelphia or Pennsylvania or whatever, out of how many total in that area? Could you imagine the uproar if a company - Microsoft, apple, facebook, even closer to home like esb, an Post etc - had 300 paedophile employees?

300 abusers is disgraceful but just to keep things in perspective, the population of Pennsylvania is 13 million, that is bigger than countries like Belgium and Sweden and nearly three times the population of Ireland.

I'll admit I didn't watch much of it, but did watch more of the analysis and read media reports.

I saw various people on from all the survivor groups etc, and they all said that he did not apologise and admit that they covered up paedo's. I was taking their word for it. They even said that he can't admit that, cos it would leave them open to legal actions.

I couldn't bring myself to watch much of it, I wouldn't have the stomach for it to be honest. Once I heard Daniel O'Donnell and Nathan Carter were included, that done it for me !!

300 abusers is disgraceful but just to keep things in perspective, the population of Pennsylvania is 13 million, that is bigger than countries like Belgium and Sweden and nearly three times the population of Ireland.

But remember, we are only hearing about the tip of the iceberg when it comes to abusers within the CC.

• Advertisement

Ireland just wasn't populated enough eh? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

'Perspective kid, have some perspective while I rape you.'

Stop deflecting and stop diluting this, please.

I'll admit I didn't watch much of it, but did watch more of the analysis and read media reports.

I saw various people on from all the survivor groups etc, and they all said that he did not apologise and admit that they covered up paedo's. I was taking their word for it. They even said that he can't admit that, cos it would leave them open to legal actions.

I couldn't bring myself to watch much of it, I wouldn't have the stomach for it to be honest. Once I heard Daniel O'Donnell and Nathan Carter were included, that done it for me !!

He didn't address that but they will try and say he did.

My own mother today was visibly shocked when she listened to them discuss the 800 babies in Tuam. No idea how she didn't hear it before, but she wouldn't be a current affairs watcher.

She couldn't get her head around it.

"Thats only one of the evils your beloved church has gotten up to in this country".

What else could I say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I doubt it was a dorm in a Magdalene Laundry anyway.

No but the building looked similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Would people stop linking homosexuality to paedophelia, it is insulting to the gay community.

He didn't address that but they will try and say he did.

Then why are some making it sound like he apologised many times this weekend?

Did he or didn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

votecounts wrote: »
    Would people stop linking homosexuality to paedophelia, it is insulting to the gay community.

Would the mods also consider please doing something about it. It's a classic homophobic slur.

My own mother today was visibly shocked when she listened to them discuss the 800 babies in Tuam. No idea how she didn't hear it before, but she wouldn't be a current affairs watcher.

She couldn't get her head around it.

"Thats only one of the evils your beloved church has gotten up to in this country".

What else could I say?

Jaysus you didn't say that to your poor ma did you ??

The poor woman is only into it for the spirituality and faith not the politics.

Then why are some making it sound like he apologised many times this weekend?

Did he or didn't he?

He apologised, as the Vatican have before, for the abuse by priests. He did not apologise for the cover up in the Vatican. There really was nothing new in what he said, just that he said it in Ireland.

Jaysus you didn't say that to your poor ma did you ??

The poor woman is only into it for the spirituality and faith not the politics.

I did indeed say it. We have had many debates about the evils of the CC, and she acknowledges them.

How she never heard about Tuam I'll never know. But I could see that it was something she couldn't quite comprehend. Perhaps she now knows how many feel, since many aren't as forgiving as her to past evils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

How many of that 13m are priests though? That narrows the ratio drastically

• Advertisement
Advertisement