Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should calling someone a Culchie be a sacking offence?

• 25-06-2018 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Some guy at Netflix just lost his job for using the N-word. Surely the same should apply to use of the word Culchie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Can we sack people who use the term jackeen as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Since when have Culchies been enslaved?

World of a difference there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

It's only half ten and I know nothing else will top this for the "stupidest thing I've read all day".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Wombatman wrote: »
    Some guy at Netflix just lost his job for using the N-word. Surely the same should apply to use of the word Culchie?

Not even remotely comparable. I doubt he would have been fired for calling someone a redneck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Culchie is a moniker I wear with pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Since when have Culchies been enslaved?

World of a difference there.

I beg to differ.
    Culchie may be derived from an Irish-language term cúl an tí meaning 'back of the house'. The servants were not permitted to enter the house through the front door but had to use the back door or servants' entrance. It became common practice in Dublin to use culchie in a derogatory manner. Over time, as the numbers of servants dwindled through the 20th century, the term was retained in everyday use.

Working for little of nothing, for rich exploitative Dubliners. Little has changed really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The comparison is odious and shows a complete ignorance of the topic. Ludicrous thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This thread is a sackable offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I prefer to use the terms Spudheads or Rockmunchers as they are far better descripters than culchie.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

This would have been a good Friday evening thread. You've ruined it posting it on a Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

No, not fired but the user should be told to save that nonsense for the pub or for outside of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. Yer very well spoken for a culchie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

OP, I could call you a Cnut and it's still not as offensive as the n word.

endacl wrote: »

I'd say he's a north kildare culchie. Not a real culchie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

This would have been a good Friday evening thread. You've ruined it posting it on a Monday.

All the muck savages ( ;) ) would be traveling home from Dublin to mammies on a Friday evening with a boot full of washing and missed this thread then.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

endacl wrote: »

Never confuse patois with stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Grayson wrote: »

You can call anyone a cnut. The other two words target specific racial minorities for offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

if thats the case we should just stop talking to each other for fear of offending someone.

I for one will be happy to not have to talk to anyone....especially culchies as i cant understand half of what they f**king say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Where does the culchie/Jackeen world collide (besides Coppers of course),
    Where do you suppose the physical border area is ?

You can call anyone a cnut. The other two words target specific racial minorities for offence.

have you not heard of the cnut race of people?

Bunch are fannys if ive ever seen one

• Advertisement

like the post box says "Dublin" "Everywhere else"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I beg to differ.

Working for little of nothing, for rich exploitative Dubliners. Little has changed really.

No.

So were they brought over on slave ships, bought and sold, beaten and whipped? Living in ghettos to this day, huh?

Bit like that white supremacist claptrap likening the treatment of the Irish to what African Americans had to go through.

Culchies, as in those outside Dublin, make up the majority of the population in Ireland.

Where does the culchie/Jackeen world collide (besides Coppers of course),

Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Given that (i) culchies are far and away in the majority in Ireland, and (ii)culchies and dubs are ethnically homogenous, I'm not really sure that you can make that argument...

Q: if someone from Kilkenny tells his mate from Waterford: "sure, Waterford hurlers are useless", should the equality commission be contacted about this hate crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

culchie mulchie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Culchies, as in those outside Dublin, make up the majority of the population in Ireland of the observable universe.
    For accuracy.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Given that (i) culchies are far and away in the majority in Ireland, and (ii)culchies and dubs are ethnically homogenous, I'm not really sure that you can make that argument...

Q: if someone from Kilkenny tells his mate from Waterford: "sure, Waterford hurlers are useless", should the equality commission be contacted about this hate crime?

Culchie would generally be regarded as a pejorative word for a rural dweller, if you think everyone outside of Dublin is a culchie then you are awfully ignorant.
    OED Definition of Culchie
    "one who lives in, or comes from, a rural area; a (simple) countryman (or woman), a provincial, a rustic"

Ps. I'm a ruralite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Yea but it's probably 2 sizes too big and tied on with bailing twine.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭numbnutz

No it shouldn't and for this reason...the Culchie of the year competition....you don't hear about N1gg3r of the Year competition do you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Surely people should be getting sacked for hiring culchies in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I would say it’s a pejorative, so in work it should be avoided.

Reading about the Netflix guy - he was their communications guy and was listing words that should be avoided in comedy at a meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Just sack the culchies.

Culchies, as in those outside Dublin, make up the majority of the population in Ireland.

Not everyone would agree with your definition, so here you go:
    Some definitions of culchie:
    Google: "an unsophisticated country person"
    OED: "one who lives in, or comes from, a rural area; a (simple) countryman (or woman), a provincial, a rustic"
    Dicitionary.com: "a rough or unsophisticated country-dweller from outside Dublin"

• Advertisement

Vita nova wrote: »

so everyone from outside Dublin then, which is the majority of the population.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I would say it’s a pejorative, so in work it should be avoided.

You're pejorative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 pwisp

If you get that angry by being called a culchie then you need to get out more and try enjoy life a little.

so everyone from outside Dublin then, which is the majority of the population.
    0/10 for comprehension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fair play, it’s still Monday morning and already we have a contender for the worst post of the week. That’s an impressive achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

No its just a bit of banter i myself live in the countryside so i couldn't care less what I'm called my skin is much thicker than that.

0/10 for comprehension

0/10 for sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You know one is more offensive than the other when one is not even spelled out.

You're pejorative.

Did you just learn a new word and decide to use it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Only in the Civil Service, because the name caller just outed themselves as a Dub.

remakes-watching-slide-890Z-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Culchies are people from outside dublin. They don't come from Dublin. That's part of the definition. You might say that it's "country people" but that's still people who aren't from Dublin city.

And yes, the majority of people in Ireland aren't from Dublin which makes them culchies and that means that culchies aren't a minority.

Reading about the Netflix guy - he was their communications guy and was listing words that should be avoided in comedy at a meeting.

Apparently he did it twice after being told not to after the first time. The second time he was talking to a group of black staffers after the first time.

Culchies are people from outside dublin. They don't come from Dublin. That's part of the definition. You might say that it's "country people" but that's still people who aren't from Dublin city.

And yes, the majority of people in Ireland aren't from Dublin which makes them culchies and that means that culchies aren't a minority.

Where I grew up, culchie generally meant people from rural areas which would include a lot more places than just Dublin city. But I have heard it used to describe anyone outside of Dublin so I guess it depends where you grew up what a culchie is defined as like a lot of slang.

Re-read the definitions I presented. Culchie was defined as "unsophisticated", "rough" or "simple", so not a country person in general (IMHO). In fact I wouldn't call myself a culchie, nor would I use the term because of its generic associations.

Secondly, to me, the country is rural and a country person is a ruralite. Someone from the centre of Cork, Limerick, Galway or any big town is not living in the country they are living in a town or city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'd like to know the context of him using it, if he called a someone a n*gger then fair enough, but if he was quoting Huckleberry Finn or using it in a non offensive scenario then it's a bit much - context is important here, it's worrying if you could just be sacked for using it whatever the reason.

There was a teacher in the US that was fired for using "niggardly" - crazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement