Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N84 roadworks

Options
  • 25-06-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Seeing signs about road works on the N84. Galway Bay FM has an article saying they'll be going on from 25/7 for four months. Any tips on alternative routes from Headford into Galway City?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

lyda wrote: »
    Seeing signs about road works on the N84. Galway Bay FM has an article saying they'll be going on from 25/7 for four months. Any tips on alternative routes from Headford into Galway City?

Yeah Galway Bay FM says 4 months but the actual orange road signs say until 30 Sept....

When the road flooded in Dec 2015, they worked through the night, levelled, raised and put down an asphalt surface in about 48 hours. Why can't they just do that again on the two sections that require the work?!? That was over 2 years ago and is still level and perfect.... Surely this new work is massive overkill?

As for another way in... Claregalway but everyone will try that and it'll probably be clogged up as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

I actually live in Caherlistrane so already take a back way and come out near Corrandulla. Maybe I should just get a boat and commute via Lough Corrib.

I guess this explains the extra traffic through Claregalway this evening.

^^^
    Instead of the expected removal of the top surface and loads of foundation work, they seem to have just taken up the old road surface and put down a base layer layer from Corrandulla Cross to halfway to Cloonboo. Perhaps they are only going to dig out certain sections then and not all of it? If that's the case, how it'll take 4 months is beyond me. I'm sure it all makes sense to someone.....

Really wish they'd consider widening it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Would have to be some serious bad crashes on it for them to push for funding to widen it..

So they covered over the decent asphalt surface with a layer to smooth it and then covered it with tar and chips. Talk about a backward, done on the cheap job.... Why on a major road did they go back to old fashioned melt in the summer and wear badly tar and chip instead of decent longer lasting asphalt...? Gotta be money.

In addition to the basic resurface, did they noticably raise the height of the road?

In addition to the basic resurface, did they noticably raise the height of the road?

The height of the road is up a good few inches. I'd guess judging by the drop to the side roads, it's around 4 to 6 inches or so. I didn't get a right look to be honest.

The way the road works were advertised, it seemed to me that they'd be digging out and underpinning the road to prevent it dropping in places. Instead they just smoothed it and put down a basic top covering. So surely it'll just drop in those exact places again.... They had the works as taking 4 months but it's been 3 weeks and they have the top surface down on half of it already. Can't help but think Galway CC have been taken for a ridehere by the contractor....

One of the layers was a steel mesh. Maybe that's supposed to spread out the load?

Really do wish they'd widen it. Especially now with the increased drop, there's no way to pull off along much of the stretch.

• Advertisement

One of the layers was a steel mesh. Maybe that's supposed to spread out the load?

Really do wish they'd widen it. Especially now with the increased drop, there's no way to pull off along much of the stretch.

I did see the mesh alright. Since it can be rolled up, it's flexible, so I can only imagine it's to stop the layer below breaking up due to impact but I'm sure it'll do nothing to stop the road dropping if there's movement a few metres under the surface!

There was this at the end of June. Much like the Galway bypass, it'll probably never happen....

https://galwaybayfm.ie/step-forward-for-plans-to-upgrade-n84-headford-road/

"However, the funding is not yet guaranteed as TII has warned that the proposed scheme will face strong competition from other schemes nationwide.

Councillor James Charity says it could be some time before the green light is secured."

There was a woman in Joyce's in Headford a few weeks back getting contact info on people who support the idea of widening it. But I didn't get contact for the group she was forming / working for. Would love to help them out.

Hm, seems to be this. A local councillor seems to be using it as a publicity vehicle, but whatever, it needs doing.
    https://www.n84.ie/about

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carol 200

Driving tomorrow morning from Galway city to Headford.... will I avoid the roadworks if I go by Claregalway/Corandulla cross?

Advertisement