Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long menstrual cycle after the pill

Options
  • 25-06-2018 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all,

I came off the pill in January (after >10+ years).

I had my immediate withdrawal bleed. I then got my first period 6 weeks later. I then got my next period 4 weeks later. There was then 5.5 weeks of a break to my next one and then this weekend I just got my period which was 6.5 weeks after my last period.

So long story short I have just had about a 45 day cycle this time. There does not seem to be any pattern to my cycle since coming off the pill almost 6 months ago. I was wondering if anyone else has been in the same position? We plan to start trying to conceive shortly so ideally obviously I would like to have a more normal cycle if possible.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Hi Sarah1916, I came off the pill in September after 10 years. I had slightly shorter cycles of 23/24/25 days and tracked them using a free app called Ela.

To establish when you're ovulating you could try 'temping' which I haven't done myself but lots of info is available online.

I used ovulation test strips that I bought cheaply online but they never showed that I was ovulating no matter what time of the month I used them.

Anyway, I'm 24 weeks pregnant now, best of luck with your journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Just to add that your cycles do change as you get older - not everyone maintains a perfect 28 day cycle their whole life. So it may just be the way your body is, rather than coming off the pill.

I would also advise getting an idea of when you're ovulating as it will likely make trying to conceive much earlier. Temping, watching for cervical mucous changes, using ovulation sticks etc can all help you get an idea of what is going on over the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

thanks for all the replies.

Great to hear that you quickly conceived after coming off the pill. Best of luck with your pregnancy :)

I have bought Ov sticks and a thermometer to start straight away so that I can get an idea of my cycle. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP I'm in the same boat - came off in January after about 14 years on the pill. Cycle times were 28 days for the first couple of months. Just had one that was 40 days & others were anything in between. Doc advised me that it will take time for your body to work it out. I use the Flo app on my phone to help track and it updates its predictions based on when you log a period. Might be worth using in conjunction with the ov sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

I have been using the fertility friend app to track my dates. I only received the thermometer and sticks in the post yesterday so it will be interesting to see if they work and show me a trend. Please God they do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement