Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to work dilemma

Options
  • 25-06-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I'd really appreciate any help and advice you could give me on my current situation. I've been a stay at home mum for 8 years now. Before that, I was in a job for 15 years in IT project management. I went back studying last year when my youngest child started preschool and now have the CAPM cert from the Project Management Institute.
    My issue is I don't know where to start with finding work again. The school holidays are starting now so realistically I won't be looking to start work until September. I will be looking around the Naas/Newbridge area to stay close to home.

Can anyone help me with advice about how to get started? Do I start with recruitment agencies, they will probably help with my CV? If any working moms are reading this, can you please tell me what to look for? Should I try to get a more general office skills to make myself more employable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If I were in your shoes, I'd start tarting up my LinkedIn profile, and applying for jobs through it.
    The hiring timeline is longer than you expect - you won't be getting immediate feedback, and in fact to be hired might take a few months. So it could end up dovetailing with your youngest's start time in school nicely.
    I wouldn't undersell myself - you have the advantage of experience (both professionally, and of dealing with children which is a difficult skill in itself). Don't be shy about it (not to cast aspersions on your character, but I've seen a lot of women undersell themselves and then end up getting typecast in more junior positions)
    RE Naas area, there is a lot of construction on the go in the North Kildare / Meath area of a high tech variety - they always require PMs for any associated IT build outs. Could be an area to look in.
    Edit: Just to ask the basic question: PM is what you want to go back to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'd get the ball rolling with an online profile also. Recruitment can be very slow during the summer months. You could engage with a recruitment agent, if you feel that would help but I'm not a fan of them myself. I see that you have been out of the workforce for a good few years, so I would urge you to do your homework on any organisation you engage with. Some organisations in IT expect a ridiculous level of engagement from their PMs. I know a few PMs who've been caught out by this after returning to the work force.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Look up women returners, they're a great organisation for people just like you. I was at a meeting in the autumn and their speaker was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try Kerry Group - they have a big place there in Naas.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Try Kerry Group - they have a big place there in Naas.

Falls into the category I posted about above. Not suitable for someone who is returning to work and has young children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Berserker wrote: »
    Falls into the category I posted about above. Not suitable for someone who is returning to work and has young children.

Oh, have you worked for Kerry Group yourself?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Oh, have you worked for Kerry Group yourself?

Work colleague of mine did. Kerry Group in Naas was her last employer. It has potential if you have no commitments and you can put in long hours. She has two small children, so it was a disaster for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nikki333

Thank you to everyone for your info. I'm following up all advice given.

I really appreciate it, thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

1. Look on the job websites: jobs.ie, recruitireland.com, etc. and anything regional like kildarejobs.ie, clark.ie, etc.

2. You can also contact the large recruiters like cpl.ie, noel.ie, etc.

3. Use a standard CV template, saved as a PDF:
    Name
    Address | Telephone | Email

Recruitment history (descending)

Academic history (descending)

4. You also need to write a cover letter for each job. This is a quick introduction about who you are and why you're applying for the job. I'd also state here that you are just returning to work after a long maternity leave.

I don't think you have much to worry about. 15 years of IT project management is great. And it really hasn't changed that much over the past 8 years. Just make sure you're familiar with agile / scum / kanban / waterfall.

Good luck!

Advertisement