Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuschia Hanging Baskets

Options
  • 25-06-2018 2:00pm

Hi all

I got some pink fuschia hanging baskets from Homebase. they done really well and the flowers are now just passing their best. (Been up 6 weeks).

Whats the best thing to do with them now? (I havent a clue about them).

Can they be dead-headed for another bloom this summer? Put away for next season or planted out in the garden?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Trim off the dead flowers and keep them watered and you might get another flush of flowers. The fuchsia sold like that are usually treated as annuals. You can try and keep them (put in garden) but it is not usually very successful.

• looksee wrote: »
    Trim off the dead flowers and keep them watered and you might get another flush of flowers. The fuchsia sold like that are usually treated as annuals. You can try and keep them (put in garden) but it is not usually very successful.

Thanks for that. I was doing a bit of reading and I think the recent sun might have done the main damage.

I'll put them in the shade for a while and see if I can nurse them back to better health. Was also reading that they should be kept indoors over the winter to avoid the frost which also relates to what you had suggested.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes you need to dead head (removing the spent flowers) or they will stop flowering. They probably also need feeding and watering, a good idea is to get a liquid feed, make up with water into a basin, and stand the baskets in it for 24 hours before rehanging.

• Just in case anyone else is reading in on the thread for advice.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/fuchsia/growing-fuchsia-flower.htm

Advertisement