Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Privot - growth stopped

Options
  • 25-06-2018 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭

I have 2 areas in my front garden, no more than 15 ft apart both growing golden privot hedge, bought and planted at the same time from same nursery, about 7-8 years ago.
    1 hedge grows great, it seperates the front garden from the neighbours. it is up over 6ft now and i trim the top and sides of it each year.
    The other is out at the patch, but growth is seeming maxed out at about 4.5 feet or so. I would like to get it up a bit taller to give some privicy. I also trim and shape this once a year.

any recomendations as to how I might be able to grow it a bit taller?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Out at the patch? The second hedge could be in poorer soil, in a wind tunnel, in the shade, have a lot of weeds or grass under it. You could try feeding it a bit, don't overdo it, or you could do more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

looksee wrote: »
    Out at the patch? The second hedge could be in poorer soil, in a wind tunnel, in the shade, have a lot of weeds or grass under it. You could try feeding it a bit, don't overdo it, or you could do more harm than good.

Autotype! Path!

Both out in the open, nö shade. Actually more chance the bigger one gets a bit of shade. Same garden, same grass patch, same soil, I turned and raked it myself back when doing it..

I throw a bit of tomato feed on them every now and again .

Could there be something ie. the path foundations stopping the roots from growing out? Would that even affect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If there are foundations, or serious pipes or similar it could certainly be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's probably being restricted by the path so feeding is key, I wouldn't advise it now as it's too dry. Tomato feed is way too weak..a good solid feed of granular fertilizer like growmore in late autumn winter and it will take off next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Was also thinking could it be possible that when I planted it that I didn’t go deep enough? Some of the roots are a bit visible, only slightly mind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Not when it was planted eight years ago. Just feed it.

Advertisement