Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you choose Fly 6CE or Garmin Varia R510 Radar ?

Options
  • 25-06-2018 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

I'm considering one of these and can't decide.  Wondering what you would choose if you could have one.

Reviews of the Varia are pretty decent.  Basically a 60 lumen rear light  (in flashing mode only which is the way I would be using it) with a viewable range of 1 mile and has integrated radar detection of cars from behind for up to 153 meters away. Gives a visual and audio warning.  I'm not flexible in the neck or shoulders due to a pedestrian / car injury and find it hard to look behind as often as I'd like so this would be handy, plus it gives you time to react.  Potentially could be a very good bit of safety gear.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/garmin-varia-rtl510-radar-cycling-light-in-depth-review.html

The fly 6CE on the other hand is more of a look at the footage after you get hit number.  I like the idea of an integrated camera and light with decent battery life that will record your journeys on a loop though.  Seems to get decent reviews also when it works.  Mounting seems a bit crap with a velcro strap, though they do sell a saddle adaptor that connects to a go pro saddle mount.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/cycliq-fly6ce-fly12ce-first-look.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For me the varia is more about prevention and that's what I chose. In the city less so it would probably be the fly 6 as the varia would trigger too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Borderfox wrote: »
    For me the varia is more about prevention and that's what I chose. In the city less so it would probably be the fly 6 as the varia would trigger too much
    I'm thinking the same thing.  I cycle mostly country and main roads.  Although sometimes in built up areas.  I'm leaning towards the Varia.

On the winter bike I was able to get a 3d printed gopro to garmin mount and put the garmin at the back of the saddle and mount the fly6 on the seatpost

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Have the Fly 6 CE, video quality is good, I'm not too impressed with the USB charging port cover though, very flimsy, bit fiddly to close and I'd imagine it won't last too long. I've already had to return one unit due to water ingress, possibly my fault for not making sure the charging port cover was sealed properly but in fairness they sent a replacement no problem.

I'd highly recommend them for their customer service, not so much for the unit itself though...

• Advertisement

Statler wrote: »
    Have the Fly 6 CE, video quality is good, I'm not too impressed with the USB charging port cover though, very flimsy, bit fiddly to close and I'd imagine it won't last too long. I've already had to return one unit due to water ingress, possibly my fault for not making sure the charging port cover was sealed properly but in fairness they sent a replacement no problem.

I'd highly recommend them for their customer service, not so much for the unit itself though...

Thanks for the info. Reading Amazon reviews, and feedback on DCRainmakers review it seems your experience matches what a lot of people have to say about it. Great customer service but a lot of niggly issues. The water ingress is pretty worrying, as well as issues like condensation, not recognising some micro sd cards, crap software etc.. Then again I'm sure there are lots of happy customers as you usually only hear from unhappy ones. The velcro strap doesn't look much cop though. Is the mount with this solid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Flaccus wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Reading Amazon reviews, and feedback on DCRainmakers review it seems your experience matches what a lot of people have to say about it. Great customer service but a lot of niggly issues. The water ingress is pretty worrying, as well as issues like condensation, not recognising some micro sd cards, crap software etc.. Then again I'm sure there are lots of happy customers as you usually only hear from unhappy ones. The velcro strap doesn't look much cop though. Is the mount with this solid ?

Mount is solid, definitely wouldn't have any fear of it coming out of it, velcro strap isn't the best quality, but it does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I used shapeways for the mount for my varia onto my saddle bag, it slips over the saddlebag light strap and I then drilled a little hole in the mount to put a micro cable tie through it.
    I cycle country roads all the time and would hate to be without my varia at this stage.

Anyone tried the new radar head unit which has audio now ? Wondering if it's worth getting even if you have a compatible edge. You see one of the complaints I've read about the edge is the audible warnings from the radar aren't loud enough. And obviously in bright light the edge isn't the best to read. I think audible warnings could be important.

Pricey though :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Varia-RTL510-Review-Bundle/dp/B07CLSX9TM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530004188&sr=1-2&keywords=RTL510

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I wonder how loud is it, I nearly always near my edge 1000 beep but I only use it as a backup and if pulling out I look over my shoulder.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the place

The Velcro strap on the fly 6 is very secure

The beep on the Garmin is loud enough to hear in gale force winds, between that and the notification on the screen is more than enough warning for me. As said above too it doesn't replace a look over the shoulder

Still undecided what to get.

I like the idea of a camera and light but reports of dodgy usb flaps, water ingress, clouding. crapshoot if microsd will work (guess you can stick to the recommended 32GB), recording stopping during a ride, bricking etc.. give me some apprehension as I know I'll be the one that ends up with a turkey.

Incidentally does it have a daytime flashing mode ?

Never had a problem with the fly 6 I have, the charging flap works great. Regarding water ingress the circuit boards are coated with a waterproof material. Mine is gen 2 (I think) I have a 32gb micro sd card in it.

Lots of different flashing or static modes and very visible

Never had a problem with the fly 6 I have, the charging flap works great. Regarding water ingress the circuit boards are coated with a waterproof material. Mine is gen 2 (I think) I have a 32gb micro sd card in it.

Lots of different flashing or static modes and very visible

Thanks. I caved and ordered from Amazon. Seems cheaper then everywhere else.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycliq-Fly6-Rear-Facing-Camera/dp/B077NNSRDL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530025543&sr=8-2&keywords=cycliq

I also got the universal mount so I can hang it off a gopro saddle mount.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycliq-CYCF12CE122UA-Universal-Adaptor/dp/B079PNGJ3V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530025865&sr=8-1&keywords=cycliq

Pricey for a bit of plastic but at least Amazon suddenly got it and didn't have to order from Cycliq in Australia.

Will stick with recommended Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB card.

Thanks. I caved and ordered from Amazon. Seems cheaper then everywhere else.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycliq-Fly6-Rear-Facing-Camera/dp/B077NNSRDL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530025543&sr=8-2&keywords=cycliq

I also got the universal mount so I can hang it off a gopro saddle mount.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycliq-CYCF12CE122UA-Universal-Adaptor/dp/B079PNGJ3V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530025865&sr=8-1&keywords=cycliq

Pricey for a bit of plastic but at least Amazon suddenly got it and didn't have to order from Cycliq in Australia.

Will stick with recommended Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB card.

I thought you were getting the older version, I use the 32gb Ultra and its fine.

Happy purchase

I thought you were getting the older version, I use the 32gb Ultra and its fine.

Happy purchase

Nah, the new for me but I just changed my mind with it and cancelled. I've now ordered a Varia RTL510 from Sigmasports. :pac:

Advertisement