Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election of Nial Ring as DCC Lord Mayor

Options
  • 25-06-2018 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭

So Nial Ring has been elected as the Lord Mayor of DCC. He's previously had pretty anti-cycling views, especially with regards to new cycling projects, one time even criticising the North Strand/Fairview cycle scheme as it ignored the "mental health of drivers".

Anyway, should this be a cause for concern? Given the redesign of the North Strand/Fairview cycle scheme came as a positive move.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Should be fine, it's a pretty ceremonial role with no executive power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

1st Act by this Ring character will be to turn the new section of the S2S cycleway into another Car lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The current one (Mac Donncha) doesn't seem to be too interested in cycling, while the one before him (Carr, appropriately enough) was mostly hostile.

The role does indeed seem to be ceremonial (the Chief Executive of Dublin City Council is a more important role). Ring is an embarrassing weirdo, so that's not ideal for a ceremonial role.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I saw this last night and thought about posting, but then thought it'd be cruel to end such a gorgeous day on a downer.

Am I right in thinking the Mayor has a casting vote in tied motions? That and increased visibility of whatever he says are probably the only things to worry about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

At the minute it is worse than ceremonial as it is a pass the parcel between SF and a few independents to make sure they can hold a large voting block. The skeptic in me suspects many of the independents of signing up to top up their pensions rather than giving any sort of a sh1t about people in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A traffic warden probably has more power than the Lord Mayor. It will give him more airtime however, but that mightn't be a good thing for him as he risks more of his constituents actually hearing some of he eejitry he comes out with.

Fun ahead:
    He wants to focus on transport, and he'll be mayor when VeloCity 2019 is in town.

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1011714895845486592

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Maybe me might persuade them to revive the Inner Tangent scheme.

Ah sure didn't he stop those nasty cyclists from cutting down all the trees in Fairview park!?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah sure didn't he stop those nasty cyclists from cutting down all the trees in Fairview park!?

He seemed to try his best to stop the scheme but I would've agreed with him there. The trees hold incredible significance.

• Advertisement

Qrt wrote: »
    He seemed to try his best to stop the scheme but I would've agreed with him there. The trees hold incredible significance.
    Local councillor Nial Ring (independent) said last week on Facebook (and similar things in news article afterwards) that “Dublin City Council is proposing to remove/destroy 62 trees from Fairview to facilitate a new cycle path”, but is this true?

Spoiler: It wasn't true(*).
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/08/02/fairview-trees-could-be-saved-with-a-two-way-cycle-path/

I guess a year passes quickly enough.

(*)It was a wholesale redesign of the road, for various reasons.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

A traffic warden probably has more power than the Lord Mayor. It will give him more airtime however, but that mightn't be a good thing for him as he risks more of his constituents actually hearing some of he eejitry he comes out with.

The Lord Mayor has a bit more power than traffic wardens — especially in terms of how he can shape debates at council meetings and push or not push an issue to a vote.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Spoiler: It wasn't true(*).
    I guess a year passes quickly enough..

A year later we're still here, cycling along that stretch it's still lethal, even a removal of those parking spaces would improve things, pretty dangerous having cars and vans half out onto a narrow bus lane and risking being doored, not to mention the surface of that road is pretty broken up in places.(probably from the tree roots spreading out to the road).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

On the radio today ( or yesterday) having a go at cyclists and making the point that the city should be open to cars. Made a very valid point that a cyclist won’t be able to fit a 50” tv in their front basket. Total waffler:)

How many people drive into the city for a 50'' TV or into any town in ireland??? They are all going to out of town retail parks that have sucked the life from town centres to Argos and Harvey and the like.

It's such a tired trope. Nobody is proposing to stop cars driving into the city centre anyway. The proposals are all to stop people trying to drive *through* the city centre. If you need to buy a large TV (presuming you don't want to just have it delivered and don't have a suitable cargo bike), you would still be able to drive from your house into town, and then drive home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Sorry I should have said he made that great point after waffling on about motorists contributing to the economy, paying tax blah blah.

A total ledge! How much is he on again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How many of the city centre stores carry 50 inch tvs in stock anyway? I assume they'd be delivered from a warehouse.

How many of the city centre stores carry 50 inch tvs in stock anyway? I assume they'd be delivered from a warehouse.

I'd say the likes of Curry's/PC World in Jervis just have halographic projections of televisions and if you asked to purchase one, they'd go red in the face and ask you to leave.

AmberGold wrote: »
    On the radio today ( or yesterday) having a go at cyclists and making the point that the city should be open to cars. Made a very valid point that a cyclist won’t be able to fit a 50” tv in their front basket. Total waffler:)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/dublins-lord-mayor-apologises-for-parking-in-cycle-lane-to-attend-ribbon-cutting-ceremony-862058.html

Says a lot really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

AmberGold wrote: »
    On the radio today ( or yesterday) having a go at cyclists and making the point that the city should be open to cars.

Let's have a "Drive to Work" day, where everyone drives to work. Let's see how long commute times take then, never mind where the hell people will park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

What's better is "George Hook" donating €20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Could we not just get him a DB card and be done with it.

Ring is a total asshat, i've challenged him on Twitter previously when he objected to cycle lanes in Fairview...

I believe his quote was "Ring said: You can’t come in a throw your 26 inch plasma TV into your front little basket on your bike, you need cars coming into the city.”

And.. "Ring said: “We used to all have a couple of pints and drive home"

Regards to texting while driving ..“we’ve all been guilty of it”.

What an exemplary person to hold public office!

He really come across as a spiteful dimwit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He really come across as a spiteful dimwit.

A dimwit, anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I went to give a few quid this morning, they've already hit and exceeded the target!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ring was subject to one of my favourite bits of election poster defacement (at least to my juvenile mind). Attached, as it's slightly NSFW.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    I went to give a few quid this morning, they've already hit and exceeded the target!
    one perseon seemed very keen that the target was met.

Advertisement