Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing my job pension 4 years early due to hardship

• 25-06-2018 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Can anyone please advise me if it is possible access my pension, I paid into for 21 years, due to hardship and financial difficulties.

The pension is due for payment in 4 years in when I am 60.

But I am now 56 years old, currently on state disability payment.

Thanks

Lizzy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think you need to make a case based on bodily rather than financial health. Simply invoking 'hardship' probably won't cut it because as far as Revenue would be concerned, it would open the floodgates.

It would effectively mean that anyone who became redundant in their 50s would be allowed to claim financial hardship and access their pension fund early.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Self employed ppp or similar - Not possible.

Employers pension - early retirement is possible from age 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LizzyCC

Self employed ppp or similar - Not possible.

Employers pension - early retirement is possible from age 50.
    Hello Henry

It is Employers Pension I worked there for 21 years.

Thanks

coylemj wrote: »
    I think you need to make a case based on bodily rather than financial health. Simply invoking 'hardship' probably won't cut it because as far as Revenue would be concerned, it would open the floodgates.

It would effectively mean that anyone who became redundant in their 50s would be allowed to claim financial hardship and access their pension fund early.
    Hello C.

It's not Revenue thats the problem. Wondered if I can access my Private pension early besides health grounds?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

LizzyCC wrote: »
    Hello C.

It's not Revenue thats the problem. Wondered if I can access my Private pension early besides health grounds?
    Thanks

Have you left the employment related to the pension?

• Advertisement

Yes. Left 15 years ago.

Am now on disability allowance state payment.

Would like to now access my job pension 4 years early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

LizzyCC wrote: »
    Yes. Left 15 years ago.

Am now on disability allowance state payment.

Would like to now access my job pension 4 years early.

Is it a defined benefit or defined contribution scheme? Do you know who the providers are?

Zurich Ireland Group Pension scheme

I don't know defined benefit or defined contribution?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Hi Lizzycc,
    You should be receiving yearly or bi-yearly statements from the pension fund and this should state who the trustees are.
    You should contact one or more of those trustees(some will be within your old company) and ask them about whether you could draw down earlier.
    Ultimately they can tell you what is possible given the legal and scheme restrictions
    JC

Ok. Thanks JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

From what you've said it sounds like you should be able to claim that pension early. You'll be entitled to a tax free lump sum and the balance would provide an income.

If it is with Zurich it is most likely Defined Contribution (an invested pension). If you contact them and ask them for your 'retirement options' it will detail how much your pension is worth.

Worth meeting an adviser to discuss if you can. Any bank or broker will be able to help you.

Thanks. I will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you worked for Zurich then contact their pension trustees and ask if you can take the pension now. As Henry Ford III said above, an employer (occupational) pension can be taken after age 50 but that requires the approval of the pension trustees.

If you worked for someone else and the money was invested with Zurich, you need to contact the trustees of your former employer's scheme, not Zurich.

Thanks C

Advertisement