Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eucalyptus gummi tree

Options
  • 25-06-2018 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm a total newbie to gardening. I love eucalyptus and often pick some up at a local florists to fill up vases around the house- thought I'd be clever and pick up a small tree as we finally have our own home (it's about 400cm at the minute and in a pot). After buying I did some research and see it's not ideal near walls, houses etc due to the roots. Can I keep it in a large planter? I know I can prune it but would I need to cut the roots (called coppicing or something like this)? Or if I just keep pruning the branches itself would this keep it smallish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

It will struggle for nutrient and water in the long term in a pot so plant it in the ground. Coppicing (cutting the growth to near ground level) in late spring will keep the roots under control and also encourage multi stem growth which is what you want for flower arranging.
    I would coppice it now if it's already 400cm high but only down to where there are still some leaves for the moment. When there's new growth further down you can reduce the height further. Water very well if planting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gunnii won't coppice. It wants to be 30m tall.

Eucalyptus change their foliage as they mature. Some get uglier, some better looking.

They don't like root disturbance.

I'd keep it until you hate it and then replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Thanks for your reply. Just spotted a typo- I meant 40cm not 400 :D. I just measured it and it's actually 50cm bang on. So I presume it's ok till probably early spring as it's so young? If I keep cutting it back will this stop roots spreading too far- so would I be safe to plant it one or so metres from our wall? I know with one left alone it needs to be much further away from a wall or house. I'm considering this might be one to plant in my parents much much larger garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Thanks Lumens- ah that's a shame I read somewhere it was good for coppicing. It's the young round foliage I like. I'll make the most out of it while it's young- sure it cost me less than I spent on eucalyptus sprigs from the florist last week ;)

Of course it can be coppiced, that's what supplies florists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Of course it can be coppiced, that's what supplies florists!

I'm sure I read somewhere that gunnii specifically wasn't great for coppicing, but I can't find it now. So I must have imagined it! :rolleyes:

No probs, I wouldn't advise doing it in autumn/winter on wet or heavy ground, but otherwise it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Advertisement