Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on MDF worktop joint. Is this OK?

• 25-06-2018 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi. I got a new kitchen fitted last week. I've attached some pics. The counter is MDF. The joints aren't completely flush, very easy to tell when I run my hand over it. They also don't appear very tight, it's quite visible, especially near the edge that's been filled in with something.... but I don't know much about this! I've told the fitters I'm not happy, they reckon they can fix it. I think the counters might need to be changed as some of the edging is chipped along the joints and edges. Anyone who has experience in this, what are your thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Well in the words of Einstein, you cant fix a problem using the same
    thought processes that created it.

In your case, how do the fitters that created these problems, suddenly up their game and
    produce correctly fitted joints now. Why couldn't they do that at the outset.

Its poorly executed work, but I,ve seen a lot worse. Hopefully you have held back money
    to use that as leverage. And if you have, I wouldn't let the same fitters loose on it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 m9934

kadman wrote: »
    Well in the words of Einstein, you cant fix a problem using the same
    thought processes that created it.

In your case, how do the fitters that created these problems, suddenly up their game and
    produce correctly fitted joints now. Why couldn't they do that at the outset.

Its poorly executed work, but I,ve seen a lot worse. Hopefully you have held back money
    to use that as leverage. And if you have, I wouldn't let the same fitters loose on it again.

They've sent a different fitter to fix it but I don't think it can be made look like a well fitted counter, even with the best skill. I have held back some money but most has been paid. Hopefully it's an incentive to get it done right. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I've seen worse on the joint - doesn't look too bad to me tbh.

The chips are schoolboy errors though. Don't see how he can properly fix without replacing.

They will probably try covering them up or colouring them in to see if it appeazes you ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Being making and fitting kitchens since 1996 i would love to know how they are going to get that joint in the worktop right, it would have been a lot easier to do it right in the first place. And as for the chipped edges well i think you know the score on them that type of work makes my piss boil

Being making and fitting kitchens since 1996 i would love to know how they are going to get that joint in the worktop right, it would have been a lot easier to do it right in the first place. And as for the chipped edges well i think you know the score on them that type of work makes my piss boil

They came back to 'fix' it yesterday. It's now flush but still not tight, filled in with something. I'm really unhappy with it and will ask for a new worktop. Thanks for your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there is no way to redo that with the same worktop. you can re cut the 45 degree end because its end position is flexible. the end that buts up to the tall unit will end up too short if they cut off the chips.

i would like to know how they broke the 90 degree masons miter apart to redo it. if thats done properly it should be so solid that it would break the worktop . it should be glued together and buscuits or dominoes used to keep it aligned , then worktop joining bolts routed into the bottom to putt the joint tight

on a seperate point. make sure that they sealed any exposed edgs of the worktop around the sink ,hob ect . if water gets in there it will swell up and the top layer fall off.

m9934 wrote: »
    They came back to 'fix' it yesterday. It's now flush but still not tight, filled in with something. I'm really unhappy with it and will ask for a new worktop. Thanks for your reply.
    Bet you they rubbed a colored wax along the joint to give the impression its kinda flush. I have broken them joints when taking out worktops and thrust me they don't brake clean. Your right you paid good hard earned money for a kitchen for it to be right get it changed. On them joints you should only be able to feel the cut not a ridge and from a distance its should be invisible. What part of the country are you in

You gave them an opportunity to fix it, they didn't.

Get them to supply a new worktop, and use the money held back to
    pay for a fitter you get thats capable of doing it right.

I would not let them play catchup with your time and money anymore.

A 1st year apprentice learns to cut along a straight line first, then he gets
    to do it without chipping. Your guys are at this level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Looks like blunt tools were used, first sign of a bad carpenter. That type and color of worktop is easy to work with, hate to see the job they would do on a white worktop

Bet you they rubbed a colored wax along the joint to give the impression its kinda flush. I have broken them joints when taking out worktops and thrust me they don't brake clean. Your right you paid good hard earned money for a kitchen for it to be right get it changed. On them joints you should only be able to feel the cut not a ridge and from a distance its should be invisible. What part of the country are you in

I'm in Tipperary. The boss is coming out to look at it. They said that if it has to be replaced that's what will happen.

• Advertisement

They have already replaced it, and its not right.

The boss is coming out to convince you its not that bad, and here is
    100 euro recompense. I,ve seen it all before.

This is your only chance now to get what you want, if you chose to
    give them another go.(I'd show them the door, but thats me)

Look for a major reduction in the amount you held back, before you commit.

Boss is gonna shake some magic powder on it then to make it right:rolleyes:

Please let us know what this boss says

I will! He's coming at 8 tomorrow morning to look at it.

And dont be afraid to let him know what we say:P:P

Come on now, boss has had an hour.....so what excuse did he come up with??

kadman wrote: »
    Come on now, boss has had an hour.....so what excuse did he come up with??

He's replacing the worktop. No excuses provided. He did say that if I wanted the joint tight he couldn't put silicone in it and then wouldn't guarantee it. I wasn't happy with that. I pointed out the one part of the joint that was tight and had silicone and said I want it like that. He said my issues were fair and he could see what I was talking about. He said he'll get it done as soon as possible. I'll let you know what's happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Fair play...
    Is he going to change the personnel?

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Fair play...
    Is he going to change the personnel?

He said he'll be there himself, and another guy who I don't think was there the day of the original fit.

Well fair play to him for standing by it by the sounds of it he knows that fitter made a balls of it. What happened is the fitter didn't take his time, just cut the joint probably never sanded it bulled it together and when that happens no amount of tightening of the bolts will close it also he might have tightened say the back bolt and then tried to tighten the front one which wont work better to pull the joint even . On the silicone i don't bother with it just sand the joint nice and clean blow out the dust and join with a good quality wood glue, oh and check everything is sitting flush and tight before any glue. Glad you got it sorted

Dealt with in a professional manner, hats off to him.

• Advertisement

Kitchen all fixed last Friday. Very happy with it now. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement