Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something in my Garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    :( did a bit of diggin today with a fork and snap!

how do i get the broken bit out ??
    hirondelle wrote: »
    If you have a suitable area or a a firepit you could burn it out.
    and that's exactly what i did, soak it with petrol and burnt it out..just the job, no fapping about with a chisel

and here it is with its brand spanking new handle

fork.jpg

proud as punch i am :) and if i don't get at least a half a dozen thumbs up before the days out i'll be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does anyone here roll their gardens?

I have some sections of my garden that have tracks in them now, due to mowing when the ground was soft.
    Makes for uncomfortable mowing now, as the mower bounces up and down going over the area.

No longer have a ride-on, so only option for me would be one you could push/pull yourself.
    Are these any use?

You would be much better off (and your lawn would benefit) from filling/levelling rather than compacting it down further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The start of my wine cap mushrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 33,497 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GreeBo wrote: »
    You would be much better off (and your lawn would benefit) from filling/levelling rather than compacting it down further.

But to fill and level I would have to do entire garden, due to the tracks left by mower?

Perhaps the soil isn't compacted though, and flattening the ridges would be a lot easier too.

The start of my wine cap mushrooms

tasty?

• Advertisement

tasty?

I hope so.

Currently sitting in a box of damp beech woodchips in a press

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Picked a heap of kale... waiting for seedlings to grow. and beds are nearly full.

admired the forgetmenot carpet!

Graces7 wrote: »
    admired the forgetmenot carpet!

yes people rave on about bluebells but i think forget-me-nots are much nicer & vibrant in colour

Just planted calabrese, cauliflower and calendula in the garden.
    Had to stop as there was something wet falling from the sky. It's a, distant memory and very hazy but it I think it's called rain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sweet B

Heading off to bed having left our May flowers on the doorstep.

• Advertisement

Got some salads seeds into cells and planted out the Jerusalem artichokes and put down a wosterberry, white currant and jostaberry Bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭looksee

*looks up wosterberry and jostaberry*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They look interesting, I like the sound of the wosterberry, I like gooseberries but they are a bit sour unless you get the dessert ones, which are lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is the wosterberry the source plant for worcester sauce?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I dunno, but I'd wager it was named after Bertie Wooster (Ask Jeeves, if you haven't heard of him).

yes people rave on about bluebells but i think forget-me-nots are much nicer & vibrant in colour

Indeed yes. I think these were an old packet I "scattered" last back end. They have flowered for months already when nothing else was out. There are wild ones or escapees on the drive verge as well.

is the wosterberry the source plant for worcester sauce?

Different spelling :D
    Told my kids a jostaberry was Just a Berry. It went down well:)

Different spelling :D
    Told my kids a jostaberry was Just a Berry. It went down well:)

Now that is NEAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I scattered some Hungarian poppy seeds through my perennial boarders today, thought it would work well with the salvia and allium Purple Sensation, that is if this storm tonight/tomorrow doesn’t flatten their stalks first, some of them are lovely and tall. It looks like the NW won’t get the worst of the wind, here’s hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Making slow but steady progress on my herb garden. All was going really well until I tried to assemble my saffron planters and then ... things literally fell apart (think the exterior PU glue I was using wasn't ready to cope with high twenties direct sunlight :( ) so I had to re-do the four biggest panels, just as the weather changed. But they're done now and half-filled with "old" soil. Will top them up with good stuff during the week.

In the meantime, I've transplanted into the new beds a load of oregano (6 linear metres) and thyme (4m), and put in 5m/11 plants of lavender and a single creeping rosemary (for the moment). Next on the agenda is "mint mountain" and a corner of fennel, but possibly not till June as I don't think I've got time to finish the woodwork in that corner before I have to head off for work. Ditto for the parsley strip, which needs to wait till I make a solid edge to the eastern border, the design of which I only finalised this morning. For all that I want to get it finished asap, I'm really pleased with how the rest of it is working out (melting glue notwithstanding) and don't want to spoil it with a rushed job.

Of course, if I didn't waste devote so much time talking to the family of green lizards that live up there, I might get more done! :pac: Even though that thought was going through my head this morning, while I watched Lenny licking his lips after his breakfast (something that is irrationally comical to watch ... ) it was immensely satisfying to see him hale and hearty, as I had to fish him out of the water butt during the week. This is him, drying off afterwards:

Lezard-Vert-03.jpg

And for good measure, I find out this evening that one of his earlier poses earned me an "honourable mention" in the Random Photo thread! :)

Although a bit late, I sowed what will probably be the last germination attempt for this year of tomatoes, peppers and chilis; and a pot each of melons, watermelons, pumpkins and gherkins to replace those that were scorched into oblivion last week. I've decided not to put these in the propagator, but will take them with me when I'm away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Lawn got a cut at the weekend and a bit of de-weeding. Plenty more to do. I only recently landscaped this so hoping to get a bit more planting done soon!

IMG-0298.jpg

Got a nice run of weather today, so mowed the back garden (with the strimmer - mower is out of service) this morning, and ... acquired :rolleyes: ... two trailer-loads of humus-rich topsoil from the chemin rurale. That's all the new beds in the herb-garden topped off now (with three still to be constructed). Planted bay (x7) and chives (x4) this evening, and will sow savory and dill strips tomorrow (from a Lidl three-in-one pack, the other being parsley).

I dunno about the wind earlier but I’m absolutely delighted to hear the rain drumming off the roof again tonight. I know it’s probably my imagination but everything seemed a lot more vibrant and lush when I ventured out this afternoon!

My apartment has a very pleasant sheltered balcony overlooking a pond with fountains to one side, and parkland to the other. I have it planted with a Blue Moon rose, an olive tree, a purple-blue clematis, herbs, succulent, a grape vine, and various flowers in pots astride the balcony tail. I added a nice yellow flower for contrast yesterday, most being red/blue. The rose below was photographed last year, however it's shortly coming into bloom again.

552231.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sweet B

That's a beautiful rose Catmaniac. My garden badly needed last night's drop of rain. It's a garden that changes colour during the year. It's left yellow behind and is now in a blue phase.

My allium Purple Sensations aren’t looking very sensational this evening! I have about 60 bulbs, a lot turning yellow at the tips over the last few days.

Hey, SM - how did this work out for your alliums? Mine were a lot slower to appear than yours, but almost all of them had the same yellowing of the tips. Other than that, they're looking quite healthy - seem to be on the point of bursting into flower (perfectly timed for me to miss the display :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Ahhh, I am beginning to wonder if I sowed my carrots and potatoes too early this year. A serious downpour last night reduced 2 rows to nothing. Might be able to do something with them yet.

Dan.

The potatoes should be fine (in fact, they'll probably love the extra water). The carrots ... I've found that sometimes it's not the rain that destroys them, but the wet brings a million slugs into the open and they chomp their way across everything green and tender.

Have just finished earthing up my first-sown potatoes; now taking a short break before transplanting what looks and feels like about two years' worth of beetroot, self-sown from last year's un-harvested surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Getting some work done in the yard which required me to move the "dalek" composter, so I emptied it completely...disturbing some very interesting insect life and probably 20-30 lbs. of live earthworm. Ended up spreading 5-6 wheelbarrows of very nice compost on the vegetable beds.

Things I learned: Stems of brussel sprouts don't break down worth a damn. Stems of kale plants are slightly better. Eggshells - forget it, they absolutely don't. Compostable cups and bags are middling, I might ban them from the composter though we don't use them much at all.

• Advertisement

Hey, SM - how did this work out for your alliums? Mine were a lot slower to appear than yours, but almost all of them had the same yellowing of the tips. Other than that, they're looking quite healthy - seem to be on the point of bursting into flower (perfectly timed for me to miss the display :mad: )

Just spotting your message now! They’re still with me for the time being, all a bit tattered looking. Started another thread about them, I dug a few up and they’re being eaten alive, some were rotten so got rid of them. They’re all on the point of flowering funnily enough. I don’t see the point in removing them now as if they have onion white rot there’s feck all I can do about it now as it’ll be in the soil now anyways :rolleyes:. They could be a one hit wonder I’ll have to wait and see.

Nice to know that yours are the same, maybe it could be a common enough minor thing and they might turn out alright, here’s hoping!

Advertisement