Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something in my Garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

we dug ours up, took up too much space for the utility we got from it. nice looking plant, though.

Got some from the in-laws in Eastern Europe last year but it got planted in what became a walk way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

MzvB35R.jpg
    Final beds are ready for butternut squash, pumpkins , ,cucumbers and shard to be planted out.
    Wish frost would go away

Installed a water collection system today.
    Gutter on the chicken run to channel the water, going into 2 connected barrels with a tap on one

Planted out kale and sowed some more peas

Cucumbers, pumpkins, squashes are finally in the ground. I planted them with a half plastic bottle sunk into ground beside them to allow for better watering of roots.
    Swiss chard, sweet corn and pak choi are the only ones left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Finally got my hands on herb seeds! Planted at the weekend with kids and sitting on the window sill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Never thought I’d say this, but I spent a blissful evening weeding my veg patch. Listening to the beautiful melody of bird song and spring lambs, pure serenity!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it safe to give a quick careful squirt of Roundup around a fruit patch??....i've got a raspberry patch and there's dock leaves, couch grass etc amongst it and i'm sick to death of pulling them up every week

was out last night spraying bluestone and washing soda on my spuds. Of course I forgot to attach the nozzle and used more than necessary. I couldnt be bothered walkiing back to the hosue until i had to refill the spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Transferred some of that fancy oriental lettuce from the baby bed to the main bed. Hopefully it'll not all get wiped out tomorrow night! Might put a few pots over them with a brick on top. Next job, digging out small brambles before they become big ones.

Transferred some of that fancy oriental lettuce from the baby bed to the main bed. Hopefully it'll not all get wiped out tomorrow night! Might put a few pots over them with a brick on top. Next job, digging out small brambles before they become big ones.

Removing blackberries. I'm encouraging mine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I know, the whole top of the garden was brambles for years - they overwhelmed everything bar a tree. It was great for 6 weeks of fruit but otherwise a monster of a nuisance so two winters ago I decided to nuke them all and now I make sure to stay on top any that spout.

We got the last of the wood chips down on the veggie beds before the rain. I'm happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭blackbox

fryup wrote: »
    is it safe to give a quick careful squirt of Roundup around a fruit patch??....i've got a raspberry patch and there's dock leaves, couch grass etc amongst it and i'm sick to death of pulling them up every week

I always do this around fruit trees. No problems as long as you don't get it on the leaves. Best avoid a windy day. If you do get it on a leaf, remove the leaf immediately so that it doesn't get absorbed into the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Moved the barbecue from the front of the house into the garage. Sounds like there is going to be a bit of wind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Today I planted last of runner bean plants first grown to few inches high in pots. Just finished putting up the bamboos poles for them to run up using cable ties as good way to fix them at top.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Bought a tank of propane, assembled a weed burner and went to town on my gravel driveway. Long day but very satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Ripped up an old path running through the garden, got the garden rotivated and levelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Ripped up an old path running through the garden, got the garden rotivated and levelled. Plan to run stepping stones through where path was.
    Finish painting garden walls white over the long weekend and plenty of watering for the new grass seed going down!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Garlinge wrote: »
    Today I planted last of runner bean plants first grown to few inches high in pots. Just finished putting up the bamboos poles for them to run up using cable ties as good way to fix them at top.

They look beautiful if you can stay on top of it, I had bamboo wigwams and it looked stunning. Pics attached for refeference

Spent today watering and potting on seedlings. For the first time this year I got a faint hint of honeysuckle fragrance as I sat on my back doorstep. It always brings back fond childhood memories!

514693.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Planted hydrangea runaway bride, rock rose, and persicaria in the wild front garden to join the oriental poppy and verbena previously planted. Eventually I want to plant out the grass, but until then i’m Happy to let the grasses and wildflowers do their thing.

Just doing minimal watering now and using as much waste water from house. I wonder when we will be advised to have 'greywater' tanks like the Australians? Lot of things I would do like planting out or moving things but not with the ground as rock hard as this.

Garlinge wrote: »
    Just doing minimal watering now and using as much waste water from house. I wonder when we will be advised to have 'greywater' tanks like the Australians? Lot of things I would do like planting out or moving things but not with the ground as rock hard as this.

I read on the RHS site (or somewhere) that you can use gray water for plants.
    But what about the soaps/shampoos etc?

Good question but I think ok ... after all we use washup liquid to spray green fly on roses. All soap stuff is basic same detergent...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Finally got so fed up with the crows pulling up my young vegetable plants that I set out the netting. Would prefer not to have to use it but just lost my patience with the crows. Just hope the smaller birds have the sense to stay clear of it until I can pack it away again in few weeks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just check it regularly, they could get caught.

Rarely will birds go near netting
    Hedgehogs on the other hand...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ehr... Yes they do. Nets are used to catch them mid-flight to ring them (in the best of cases).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_ringing#Equipment_used

Check for all wildlife, just to be sure.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Spent today watering and potting on seedlings. For the first time this year I got a faint hint of honeysuckle fragrance as I sat on my back doorstep. It always brings back fond childhood memories!

Honeysuckle question? I have three of them that I'll be taking when I move, how old are your ones? I love the way you've planted them either side of the door.

• Advertisement

They’re about 6 years. The only thing I notice about planting them in pots is the scent isn’t as strong as it would be if they were in the ground. I think it’s due to watering. Still it’s lovely in the evening to stand in the doorway and take it in!

Advertisement