Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something in my Garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I asked my wife to sow some more carrots today. I was putting 2 types in a single bed. Both packs had 2500 seeds each.
    She used both bags completely. Im going to have a lot of thinning out in a few weeks. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I asked my wife to sow some more carrots today. I was putting 2 types in a single bed. Both packs had 2500 seeds each.
    She used both bags completely. Im going to have a lot of thinning out in a few weeks. :D

What's up, Doc? :pac:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They’re about 6 years. The only thing I notice about planting them in pots is the scent isn’t as strong as it would be if they were in the ground. I think it’s due to watering. Still it’s lovely in the evening to stand in the doorway and take it in!
    Mine are about 2 years old and were planted in the house we are currently renting, so I'm hoping to replant them into posts for a while and the plan is to have a mix of rose & honeysuckle planted into the ground - they'll be in raised flowerbeds with a trellis at the back to hold them up.

Like you the scent immediately brings me back to the summers as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This weekend I did lots of productive things in the garden, and also fell off a 4m ladder. My fall on to a fence rail was unpleasantly broken by my ribs.

My family is now going to suffer weeks of me complaining about hurty ribs.

Ladder safety: we (should) all know the drill, but don't ignore it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i gave my raspberries plenty of feed this morning as they're not red yet, when should they be ripening??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    My fall on to a fence rail was unpleasantly broken by my ribs.
    ouch. what happened - did the ladder itself fall, or did you overextend and fall off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

This weekend I did lots of productive things in the garden, and also fell off a 4m ladder. My fall on to a fence rail was unpleasantly broken by my ribs.

My family is now going to suffer weeks of me complaining about hurty ribs.

Ladder safety: we (should) all know the drill, but don't ignore it. :pac:

Fell off a horse once. 2 ribs and a collar bone. I got away lightly :)

ouch. what happened - did the ladder itself fall, or did you overextend and fall off it?

The ladder was going up perpendicular to the slope, so the legs weren't evenly supported. The ladder pivoted around its axis and threw me off.

Fortunately the loppers I was holding went into the hedge rather than into some squashy body part.

I got off lightly. I am only uncomfortable rather than immobile.

I would normally support the legs and/or have someone holding the ladder. It's basic stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a relative fell off a ladder a few years ago and died; he had a heart attack, but they were unable to tell whether the fall caused or was caused by the heart attack.

a relative fell off a ladder a few years ago and died; he had a heart attack, but they were unable to tell whether the fall caused or was caused by the heart attack.

Sorry to hear that.

These stories are legion. I had the very same morning had a discussion with my mother* about gardening accidents, including her friend who is currently immobilised after breaking an ankle (and not being able to get physio because COVID) and the previous owner of my house who had to sell up because he couldn't maintain the garden after....falling off a ladder whilst pruning a tree.

* who spent a year recovering from broken ribs after falling off a dresser whilst removing cobwebs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry to hear that.

These stories are legion. I had the very same morning had a discussion with my mother* about gardening accidents, including her friend who is currently immobilised after breaking an ankle (and not being able to get physio because COVID) and the previous owner of my house who had to sell up because he couldn't maintain the garden after....falling off a ladder whilst pruning a tree.

* who spent a year recovering from broken ribs after falling off a dresser whilst removing cobwebs

I remember having a row with my brother one time, I had to prune some wisteria vines that were climbing up some wires and I had asked him to hold the ladder. This is what he was doing. Sometimes he'd let go altogether. The idiot. :mad:

516603.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

... and this is why I've just bought myself a cherry picker! :) Way too many jobs "at height" that'll need to be done and re-done and re-re-done every decade for me to be trying to find someone to hold the bottom of the ladder, or at least be there to phone for an ambulance when I hit the ground.

Of course, I reserve the right to chop my leg off with a chainsaw at ground level ... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

... and this is why I've just bought myself a cherry picker! :) Way too many jobs "at height" that'll need to be done and re-done and re-re-done every decade for me to be trying to find someone to hold the bottom of the ladder, or at least be there to phone for an ambulance when I hit the ground.

Of course, I reserve the right to chop my leg off with a chainsaw at ground level ... :eek:

I've been tempted to rent one a few times but the cost put me off.
    I'm now saving up lots of high jobs and will probably rent one for a weekend.

Previously I used scaffolding, but an hour of erecting for a 15 min job was getting old fast!

Greebo, your avatar bears an uncanny resemblance to my hyperrealistic portrait of my brother up there.^^^ :eek:

New Home wrote: »
    Grebo, your avatar bears an uncanny resemblance to my hyperrealistic portrait of my brother up there.^^^ :eek:

Yes, I have often been told that I have a face like a brother who got a slap for not supporting a ladder correctly...:pac:

a friend of mine decided to line his chimney himself (the flexible steel liner) and was pretty much all the way up the ladder at gutter level carrying a big roll of it over his shoulder, when i think he shifted his weight to prepare to climb off the ladder, and the top of the ladder lifted gently away from the wall. he was able to shift his weight gracefully but quickly enough that the ladder settled back in place without too much drama, but it scared the bejesus out of him. standard two storey house, the gutter must be what, 5 or 6m up?

a friend of mine decided to line his chimney himself (the flexible steel liner) and was pretty much all the way up the ladder at gutter level carrying a big roll of it over his shoulder, when i think he shifted his weight to prepare to climb off the ladder, and the top of the ladder lifted gently away from the wall. he was able to shift his weight gracefully but quickly enough that the ladder settled back in place without too much drama, but it scared the bejesus out of him. standard two storey house, the gutter must be what, 5 or 6m up?

The second issue there is the danger of slipping on your way back down when you stand on the brown rungs :)

Yeah, 5.2M to my gutter line...doesnt seem to high from the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

GreeBo wrote: »
    I've been tempted to rent one a few times but the cost put me off.
    I'm now saving up lots of high jobs and will probably rent one for a weekend.

Yeah, my original plan was to rent, but I have a lot of house and a lot of garden that needs attention, and while I was dithering over what to do, I realised that there were so many times when I could have rented one for a week and not been able to use it due to rain or high wind that I'd need to allow a lot more time for each project. That changed the cost-benefit equation quite signicantly ... and then a good offer appeared on my go-to site for secondhand stuff. It's old and ugly, but has a reach of 14m. Once I've got the hang of it, I'm hoping that all those things on the "high up" To Do list will get done very quickly, and broken rooftiles will subsequently be replaced in under ten years. :D

...and picking cherries. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Lockdown boredom + imagination + paint.... happy with that

Before1.png
    After1.png
    Before3.png
    After3.png

• Advertisement

You need to teach your shed about contraception! :)

Looks great, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Like a spot the difference competition. Had to recheck few times to find the difference! More coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Muppet Man wrote: »

Can I ask where you got your Adirondack bench ? It looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Muppet Man wrote: »

Before1.png
    After1.png
    Before3.png
    After3.png

A fine job. Love the matching shed and dog kennel.
    Flowers looks great on the side, as does the bench.

What's the white panel behind the shed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

New Home wrote: »
    What's the white panel behind the shed for?

It looks like they painted the block wall after removing the bush behind the shed.

Ah yes, now I see it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thanks All. Loved the contraception comment :)

Ya, removed 10 years of Ivy the wall and timber panels and painted it the blocks brilliant white to clean it up and make the Brown timber and shed stand out . Not a lot of wall took a hell of a lot of paint!

Bench is second hand (perfect condition) and was custom made as far as I know. The wife knew someone who was looking to off load it.

Flowers are my wifes doing. There are also solar lights (Aldi) hanging off the concrete posts, which you dont really notice during the day, but light up at night. A little tacky, but nice.

Muppet Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I've knew literally nothing about gardening or lawn care when moving into a new build in 2018. Here is a photo of what our garden looked like in April 2018 (duck included):

April-2018.jpg

I've since learned a huge amount from reading this forum and other lawn care forums with these months in lockdown particularly productive. This is what it looks like now:

June-2020.jpg

I planted all trees and hedging (laurel and transplanted beech) myself apart from the mature Portuguese laurel on the left hand side of the photo, along with levelling the lawn and putting down 80 metres of larch edging. I only did the edging this April; in hindsight I should have done this initially as the lawn was completely taken over last summer by couchgrass and crabgrass invading from the borders. I killed most of it off in April and reseeded - there's some small bare patches but hopefully these will fill in over the coming weeks. Close up:

14th-June-2020.jpg

This forum has been an invaluable resource to me so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭looksee

RonanC wrote: »
    I've knew literally nothing about gardening or lawn care when moving into a new build in 2018. Here is a photo of what our garden looked like in April 2018 (duck included):

I've since learned a huge amount from reading this forum and other lawn care forums with these months in lockdown particularly productive. This is what it looks like now:

I planted all trees and hedging (laurel and transplanted beech) myself apart from the mature Portuguese laurel on the left hand side of the photo, along with levelling the lawn and putting down 80 metres of larch edging. I only did the edging this April; in hindsight I should have done this initially as the lawn was completely taken over last summer by couchgrass and crabgrass invading from the borders. I killed most of it off in April and reseeded - there's some small bare patches but hopefully these will fill in over the coming weeks. Close up:

This forum has been an invaluable resource to me so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Duck? Oh yes, duck. Fantastic work, you must be very pleased with it, it looks great.

What did I do in my garden today?I spread 7 bags of bark mulch, which seems to have some sort of dye through it as I now have, in spite of gloves, dark brown fingernails. I got 10 bags of mulch thinking it would do the front area and some to spare, currently looks as though I will be about 6 or 7 bags short just for the front.

Advertisement