Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike speedo/computer help

Options
  • 25-06-2018 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hey

Looking for a speedo/bike computer. Would like it to have the ability to upload my spins to strava? Use my phone, but if memory serves, it kills the battery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've just been looking at this. I have an old basic computer, but I liked the idea of more accurate measurement for Strava. I looked around at something that would integrate well with Strava that was also affordable. I didn't spend that long on the research, but I didn't find anything that meet my expectations. Instead I bought a Wahoo speed sensor to improve the accuracy of measurement for speed. Think I'll just ensure in fully charged before a spin.

Maybe just see how you get on with Strava. I didn't find the drain too great on a spin on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If you keep an eye out you should be pick up a garmin edge 25 for around €100/110. There's probably other options same price and cheaper from other companies, but watch for ease of upload. That's one of the things that gets better as you move up the prices, not just the more data.

I'd say it depends on how far your planning as to whether you need one over the phone. Last year I did 5 hours plus using the phone for navigation without killing the phone battery. Adding sensors and using bluetooth will use more battery than just gps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If you keep an eye out you should be pick up a garmin edge 25 for around €100/110. There's probably other options same price and cheaper from other companies, but watch for ease of upload. That's one of the things that gets better as you move up the prices, not just the more data.

I'd say it depends on how far your planning as to whether you need one over the phone. Last year I did 5 hours plus using the phone for navigation without killing the phone battery. Adding sensors and using bluetooth will use more battery than just gps.

Thank you very much.

Just with the Garmin, does it need to be connected to my phone, for things like strava segments or does the GPS in the Garmin cover that?

At the minute just getting back into the bike, so longest spin will probably only be 2 hours maybe 3 but that's at least a month away I'd say.

With the phone, a lot of my spins will be post work so having the phone fully charged isn't always possible

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't know whether the bottom end Garmins will have strava integration on the road. I thought you meant to upload post ride. Garmin 130 might, Wahoo Elemnt Bolt does and any Garmin 520 and above I think. But they're a bit of a bump in money.
    I'm happy with my elemnt bolt, but haven't turned on the live segments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've got one of the basic garmins, the edge 25. it does not 'actively' sync with strava, but when you finish your ride, it syncs with garmin connect on your phone (or computer), and that is what syncs with strava - the strava sync happens at the backend, not via your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Thank you very much.

Just with the Garmin, does it need to be connected to my phone, for things like strava segments or does the GPS in the Garmin cover that?

At the minute just getting back into the bike, so longest spin will probably only be 2 hours maybe 3 but that's at least a month away I'd say.

With the phone, a lot of my spins will be post work so having the phone fully charged isn't always possible

Yes you need a phone. The Garmin 1000/1030 has WiFi so they can upload to starve once connected to a WiFi hotspot, but all the others have to connect to a phone via Bluetooth .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do the more expensive garmins talk directly to strava, or via the garmin app?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

do the more expensive garmins talk directly to strava, or via the garmin app?

Via the Garmin app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sorry now,

With regards to strava, I don't need to be able to see it live, but when I do upload my ride afterwards, will the ride data include segment times for leaderboards etc

yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Strava app on your phone will do that - works fine in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Have used Strava on an Android and an iPhone. Both work fine most of the time, except when they drop satellite signal. Finding that out after a spin can be a bit of a bummer.

Have had an Edge 510 for 2 years now. Never lost a signal yet.

Advertisement