Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10m High netting behind garden wall

• 25-06-2018 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

The back of my house faces onto a sports field. My garden wall is 20 foot to back door.

Came home from work one day 10m poles installed around perimeter. Less than 1m from back wall. No contact from club before install.

Contacted club,netting to be installed, non retractable, 10m high. Communication very poor with myself and other residents since.

No planning permission. I presume exempted development under Class 33(c).

We’re not unreasonable people - recognize that netting is needed while games ongoing. However club doesn’t use pitch between Oct-Feb and for most of the week.

Would also have liked to discuss the option of retractable netting as a fair solution to all. Netting at that height so close to house is imposing.

I’m asking for peoples opinions please.

Is there another solution? Do we approach council? How? Some advice?

Thanks,
    NN

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Could you and the neighbors band together and appoint a Planning Consultant / Building Surveyor?

Failing that put a call into the council and see what they advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nice_neighbour

Thanks for the reply Doop.

Yes, ,we intend to contact the council.

If we hire a planning consultant what are we asking? Is it exempted development?

Does Class 33(c) allow them to do whatever they like?

Sorry a bit clueless about all this kind of thing,

Thanks,
    HH

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What's the problem with the netting?

Thanks for the reply Doop.

Yes, ,we intend to contact the council.

If we hire a planning consultant what are we asking? Is it exempted development?

Does Class 33(c) allow them to do whatever they like?

Sorry a bit clueless about all this kind of thing,

Thanks,
    HH

You would be asking them to review the development, with a view to making a submission to the council on your behalf / potentially liaise directly with the club and or their advisers.

You are essentially asking them to represent you and the other neighbors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Yeah you should definitely get onto them but ask them if they can make it 20m high.

I used to live in a house that backed onto a pitch. Kids were forever throwing stones to either break windows or set off burglar alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Doop wrote: »
    You would be asking them to review the development, with a view to making a submission to the council on your behalf / potentially liaise directly with the club and or their advisers.

You are essentially asking them to represent you and the other neighbors.

And pay a nice fat fee:D

Not much in life is free...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What's the problem with the netting?

No problem with netting at all.

10m high netting so close to house towers over it - wouldn't be able to see over it from first floor.

No discussion on this at all with anyone. Would be fairer to all to be retractable rather than permanently up.

What would be a ball park for this?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No problem with netting at all.

10m high netting so close to house towers over it - wouldn't be able to see over it from first floor.

No discussion on this at all with anyone. Would be fairer to all to be retractable rather than permanently up.

Why do you need to see over "netting"?

https://nettingdirect.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Maynooth-GAA-1024x1024.jpg

Serious question.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Why do you need to see over "netting"?

Serious question.

We've a lovely view at the moment i.e. we're not looking through the net to see that. Looking through a green net as you've show is like looking through a colour filter.

I'm not saying I don't see the need for a net, or that I want to get the whole lot remove. That's not the case at all.

There is a compromise though. Why have a net in place while the place is idle? We live in an age of technology!

Neighbors should be prepared to compromise so a solution acceptable to all is found.

Am I being naive?

Anyways, back to the original post - can anybody provide some advice on a path forward if there is one

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi All,

The back of my house faces onto a sports field. My garden wall is 20 foot to back door.

Came home from work one day 10m poles installed around perimeter. Less than 1m from back wall. No contact from club before install.

Contacted club,netting to be installed, non retractable, 10m high. Communication very poor with myself and other residents since.

No planning permission. I presume exempted development under Class 33(c).

We’re not unreasonable people - recognize that netting is needed while games ongoing. However club doesn’t use pitch between Oct-Feb and for most of the week.

Would also have liked to discuss the option of retractable netting as a fair solution to all. Netting at that height so close to house is imposing.

I’m asking for peoples opinions please.

Is there another solution? Do we approach council? How? Some advice?

Thanks,
    NN

The the 10m pole is approx 6.5m away from your house, Id imagine they cant do that encase of the poles falling and hitting your structure. I know a domestic wind turbine for example would need to fall within its own boundary, I cant see this being any different. Id imagine this is also a different situation to eircom/esb poles as in most cases these are existing or replaced structures, not new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

What would be a ball park for this?

It's usually people other than the OP that start taking the mickey :pac:

Out of curiosity, would you have had many instances of balls and the likes ending up in the garden before the netting went up?

Or did other neighbours perhaps and complained about it?

wexie wrote: »
    It's usually people other than the OP that start taking the mickey :pac:

Out of curiosity, would you have had many instances of balls and the likes ending up in the garden before the netting went up?

Or did other neighbours perhaps and complained about it?

In terms of balls in the garden, once in a year. Not sure about other neighbors complaining, it’s a possibility. Insurance premiums most likely.

Like I said, not opposed to net per se, opposed to non retractable netting

Netting not up yet btw.

JimmyMW wrote: »
    The the 10m pole is approx 6.5m away from your house, Id imagine they cant do that encase of the poles falling and hitting your structure. I know a domestic wind turbine for example would need to fall within its own boundary, I cant see this being any different. Id imagine this is also a different situation to eircom/esb poles as in most cases these are existing or replaced structures, not new ones.

You would think so.

There is no planning permission, we were told it was not required.

So, I know that there is exempted development for sports fields. But is this for any structure?

It seems bizarre that you can put up something like this without planning and an engineers report at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Insurance premiums most likely.

Ah was wondering why they'd be putting them up now. I guess that makes some kind of twisted sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dk1979

Hi, Just wondering how did this all end up. Something similar happening to the rear of my home at present.

Advertisement