Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sam Quentin click bait thread about drugs

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I lived in Amsterdam for 5 years. If you think their policy does more good than harm, you are wrong.
    My Dutch friends thought the coffee shops were for idiot tourists. Meanwhile they are among the lowest rate of cannabis users in Europe.

And why do you think that is?

By the way I was born and raised in Holland so I think I probably have a little bit more material for a comparison. If you think Holland = Amsterdam you should have tried to get out a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

wexie wrote: »

By the way I was born and raised in Holland so I think I probably have a little bit more material for a comparison. If you think Holland = Amsterdam you should have tried to get out a bit more.

That old chestnut. Netherlands, not Holland. Happy now?

That old chestnut. Netherlands, not Holland. Happy now?

That's not what I meant, I meant there's a whole country outside Amsterdam. (albeit a small one). Judging Holland on your experiences in Amsterdam is like judging Ireland cause you were once in Dublin for a stag.

The reason they aren’t big users of cannabis (or big users of prostitution for that matter) is that they know how harmful these trades are.
    But they are happy to make a few quid on the gullible.

That's not what I meant, I meant there's a whole country outside Amsterdam. (albeit a small one). Judging Holland on your experiences in Amsterdam is like judging Ireland cause you were once in Dublin for a stag.

Nah, I lived in Heemstede too.

Nah, I lived in Heemstede too.

Wow...you made it a whole 20km out of Amsterdam....well done

In fairness, it's been pointed out to you by myself and another poster exactly why the relationship between drugs and the law is erroneous.

What I find difficult to understand is how people think treating a drug abuser like a criminal actually garners any form of positive results.
    Wow...you made it a whole 20km out of Amsterdam....well done

And Eindhoven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Why so rattled? No need to be rude to me.

I'm neither rattled nor rude.

Maybe grow a thicker skin or report my post if you have an issue with it.
    Why should it be a matter of personal choice? Is it a matter of personal choice to have asbestos in your walls? To use leaded petrol? To drive at 150 miles per hour down O Connell Street?

All of those things have the potential to harm other people.

Try again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why should it be a matter of personal choice? Is it a matter of personal choice to have asbestos in your walls? To use leaded petrol? To drive at 150 miles per hour down O Connell Street?

Completely ridiculous analogies to use when compared to a single person consuming cannibis in their own home with no risk to anyone else

• Advertisement

Rennaws wrote: »
    I'm neither rattled nor rude.

Maybe grow a thicker skin or report my post if you have an issue with it.

All of those things have the potential to harm other people.

Try again..

Since you are giving me advice, please let me offer you some. You may not be right. You might be wrong. I know that seems almost impossible to you, but believe me, it is possible.

If you are going to call my opinion 'non sensical and ignorant', at least try to back up your position with some facts.

Is cannabis smoking healthy?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Completely ridiculous analogies to use when compared to a single person consuming cannibis in their own home with no risk to anyone else

How is this 'consuming' typically done?

If you are going to call my opinion 'non sensical and ignorant', at least try to back up your position with some facts.

I did.

They were in my response. It was only 4 lines long and they took up 2 of them.

2.5 million die every year world wide due to alcohol consumption.

Not one recorded death has ever been attributed to cannabis..

You really need to try harder at this..

Oh and i was being kind when I said non sensical and ignorant. You've posted nothing to demonstrate anything to the contrary, in fact you're digging in deeper and deeper but please keep at it..
    Is cannabis smoking healthy?

Is eating a doughnut healthy ? What does that have to do with anything ?

Rennaws wrote: »
    I did.

They were in my response. It was only 4 lines long and they took up 2 of them.

2.5 million die every year world wide due to alcohol consumption.

Not one recorded death has ever been attributed to cannabis..

You really need to try harder at this..

Oh and i was being kind when I said non sensical and ignorant. You've posted nothing to demonstrate anything to the contrary, in fact you're digging in deeper and deeper but please keep at it..

Is eating a doughnut healthy ? What does that have to do with anything ?

What is your actual point? Are you telling me that smoking cannabis is healthy? Because I am saying that is carceogenic. Am I wrong?

What is your position on this?

whenever youre ready...

What is your position on this?

Read my posts..

If you still have questions feel free to ask..

I may indulge you, I may not..

• Advertisement

whenever youre ready...

Seriously :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What about alcohol, what about nicotine, what about.......

You may have read my previous post. I asked if we had had the opportunity to stop tobacco smoking before it became ubiquitous, wouldn’t that have saved countless lives and untold suffering?

Yet you want cannabis legalized. Another poisonous carceogenic.

You reach for nonsense excuses like ‘you don’t have to smoke it, it can be ingested’.
    But the vast vast majority of users smoke it.

The drug loads rule when it comes to propaganda. It is deeply embedded in youth culture.

Where did I say I want anything banned? I'm arguing that the safety of a drug has no relation to it's legal status (although to be fair, I'm not sure whether or not you've ever disagrees with this). Anyway, in order to prove this, I have to show evidence showing legal drugs ranked more dangerous that legal ones. Seeing as alcohol and tobacco are the legal and dangerous ones, it makes sense to use these as examples of my point, does it not?

So the questions I have for you are:
    1 - Do you agree that drug legality has no relation to drug safety?
    2 - If something is proven to be unhealthy, should it be banned? And on what grounds?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How is this 'consuming' typically done?

Does it matter when it is by ones self endangering nobody else versus all of your analogies involved endangering others being the main factor why they are not allowed, your analogies were absolutely and completely wrong

Where did I say I want anything banned? I'm arguing that the safety of a drug has no relation to it's legal status (although to be fair, I'm not sure whether or not you've ever disagrees with this). Anyway, in order to prove this, I have to show evidence showing legal drugs ranked more dangerous that legal ones. Seeing as alcohol and tobacco are the legal and dangerous ones, it makes sense to use these as examples of my point, does it not?

So the questions I have for you are:
    1 - Do you agree that drug legality has no relation to drug safety?
    2 - If something is proven to be unhealthy, should it be banned? And on what grounds?

These are very broad questions you are asking. I’ll do my best.

1. The only way I can honestly answer this is to say there are few dangerous substances in their own right. What’s dangerous is how they are used.

Alcohol is only dangerous if it is abused. Tobacco is dangerous if it is smoked (or for the pedants - chewed). There are prescription drugs that are great if used correctly but deadly if abused
    Cannabis has curative value in some instances but is cargeogenic if smoked with tobacco (which is generally how it is used).
    I find it incredible how many people will stoutly defend the use of cannabis and yet would (I imagine) hardly take up the cause of British American Tobacco and support their campaign to bring smoking to the natives of Papua New Guinea etc!
    My point is that Cannabis is a nasty drug. It’s abuse causes cancer and it can have significant impact on mental health and can cause psychological damage.
    Why are so many people so adamant that smoking this Shyte is some form of basic human right??

2. Yes. Some things that are unhealthy should be banned. This is common sense.
    Examples - Substances that cause damage to our health (I would ban cigarettes gradually over a period of say 10 years - this will eventually happen, I believe). (Alcohol is relatively safe if not abused.)
    The drugs trade is horrific, a scourge. I hate it. It is incredibly effective in getting its propaganda message out there. Lots of defenders on here.
    How many people do we all know who would hate the behavior of say Trump and his ilk but who will gladly hand over 50 quid to some dealer who works in the most murderous, cruel and evil industry ever known to man.

I do understand your point. Legislation is by its nature cumbersome and the ‘war on drugs’ is not being won.
    Does make it a fundamental right to use the stuff ? nor should we throw in the towel.
    For every person who tells me how well it works in Amsterdam, I will point out than the sex trade is legal there too. I lived near the red light district for a number of years. The abuse these women take is heartbreaking. Amsterdam is the answer to nothing.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Does it matter when it is by ones self endangering nobody else versus all of your analogies involved endangering others being the main factor why they are not allowed, your analogies were absolutely and completely wrong

Drug abuse is never a solo endeavor. There are many victims beyond the abuser. It’s a trade in cruelty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

These are very broad questions you are asking. I’ll do my best.

1. The only way I can honestly answer this is to say there are few dangerous substances in their own right. What’s dangerous is how they are used.

Alcohol is only dangerous if it is abused. Tobacco is dangerous if it is smoked (or for the pedants - chewed). There are prescription drugs that are great if used correctly but deadly if abused
    Cannabis has curative value in some instances but is cargeogenic if smoked with tobacco (which is generally how it is used).
    I find it incredible how many people will stoutly defend the use of cannabis and yet would (I imagine) hardly take up the cause of British American Tobacco and support their campaign to bring smoking to the natives of Papua New Guinea etc!
    My point is that Cannabis is a nasty drug. It’s abuse causes cancer and it can have significant impact on mental health and can cause psychological damage.
    Why are so many people so adamant that smoking this Shyte is some form of basic human right??

This argument could be used to ban alcohol. Would you be in favour of prohibition?
    2. Yes. Some things that are unhealthy should be banned. This is common sense.
    Examples - Substances that cause damage to our health (I would ban cigarettes gradually over a period of say 10 years - this will eventually happen, I believe). (Alcohol is relatively safe if not abused.)
    The drugs trade is horrific, a scourge. I hate it. It is incredibly effective in getting its propaganda message out there. Lots of defenders on here.
    How many people do we all know who would hate the behavior of say Trump and his ilk but who will gladly hand over 50 quid to some dealer who works in the most murderous, cruel and evil industry ever known to man.

So, how about sugar, alcohol and fast food?

---

There are two key differences here:
    1 - You are nowhere near as informed about drug usage and properties as you think you are. Case in point, you think cannabis is a nasty drug. You refuse to accept that it's actually a drug that has BEEN PROVEN TO HAVE a lot of medical and palliative benefits. This is further hightlighed by your continued reluctance to deal with the issue of drug legalisation and dangers being proven to be skewed.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320984.php

2 - You seem to be in favour of a nanny state approach: I'm of the opinion that, if a person wants to use them even though they can be harmful to their health, so be it - as long as they keep it to themselves.

If your argument would be consistent, you'd be banning legal substances that are far more dangerous than cannabis, yet you refuse to acknowlege this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just legalise everything Leitrim and let them all move up there and do the drug of choice there.

Put up a hard border around the County and only entry and exist allowed with an official State drug passport.

Then turn Leitrim into a tourist attraction for those who want to see what happens when you legalise everything.

Then turn Leitrim into a tourist attraction for those who want to see what happens when you legalise everything.

Why would anyone go to Leitrim for that if they could go to Portugal?

:confused:

Why would anyone go to Leitrim for that if they could go to Portugal?

Weather.

Weather.

oh....I guess.....

And the food and the women....cause both are just infinitely better in Leitrim than that kip Portugal

:D

This argument could be used to ban alcohol. Would you be in favour of prohibition?

So, how about sugar, alcohol and fast food?

---

There are two key differences here:
    1 - You are nowhere near as informed about drug usage and properties as you think you are. Case in point, you think cannabis is a nasty drug. You refuse to accept that it's actually a drug that has BEEN PROVEN TO HAVE a lot of medical and palliative benefits. This is further hightlighed by your continued reluctance to deal with the issue of drug legalisation and dangers being proven to be skewed.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320984.php

2 - You seem to be in favour of a nanny state approach: I'm of the opinion that, if a person wants to use them even though they can be harmful to their health, so be it - as long as they keep it to themselves.

If your argument would be consistent, you'd be banning legal substances that are far more dangerous than cannabis, yet you refuse to acknowlege this.

For someone who spends half her life on Boards , your debating style is primarily made up of inane questions (‘whataboutery’) and feeble putdowns.

Neither interesting or enlightening. Good luck.

If it's enlightenment you seek perhaps you should try a nice spliff :D

For someone who spends half her life on Boards , your debating style is primarily made up of inane questions (‘whataboutery’) and feeble putdowns.

So you finally opt for petty insults instead of taking one last chance to examine the evidence that proves that your judgment about the safety of drugs is skewed and that your knowledge about cannabis is ill-informed

Pigeon, meet chessboard; good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Can someone tell me who changed the topic/title of my thread(this thread)and why!?
    Now all be I have forgotten what title I actually gave this thread???? But that's not the point,.. My threads are of good humour but have serious overall content.. It's my way of not being a cúnt but getting my feelings/views across..
    So yes I was disappointed with this WHAT I use to consider 'hero' when he spoke about legalising DRUGS... Dont come back with this utter bullshít about a 'wee' bit of hash is no harm blah blah blah.. Mention a 'wee' bit of hash/smoke if your a twit and don't understand my thread!?!?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

You are drunk and making no sense, go to bed like a good lad.

• Advertisement

You are drunk and making no sense, go to bed like a good lad.

Lmao.
    This nonsense has been used before.
    I'll tell you because you seem like a newbie!?
    I work mainly graveyard shift, I'm not a drinker and usually dont hit da hay until early morning... Ok hi..
    I'll give you 'the fools pardon' for now :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Lmao.
    This nonsense has been used before.
    I'll tell you because you seem like a newbie!?
    I work mainly graveyard shift, I'm not a drinker and usually dont hit da hay until early morning... Ok hi..
    I'll give you 'the fools pardon' for now :)

It doesn’t change the fact that your post read like it was written by a very drunk person, very tough on the eyes and hard to understand.

Try make more of an effort at constructing legible sentences and maybe more “newbies” would partake in you private thread / club.

Also signing off from a nightshift.

Dont come back with this utter bullshít about a 'wee' bit of hash is no harm blah blah blah.. Mention a 'wee' bit of hash/smoke if your a twit and don't understand my thread!?!?

Why did you start a thread if you're going to try and control the opinions that we can offer :confused:

Oh and in case i forget, a wee bit of hash really is no harm..

Sounds like you could do with a vape just now tbh..

You seem a little angry. It would calm you down and help you sleep :pac:

Can someone tell me who changed the topic/title of my thread(this thread)and why!?
    Now all be I have forgotten what title I actually gave this thread???? But that's not the point,.. My threads are of good humour but have serious overall content.. It's my way of not being a cúnt but getting my feelings/views across..
    So yes I was disappointed with this WHAT I use to consider 'hero' when he spoke about legalising DRUGS... Dont come back with this utter bullshít about a 'wee' bit of hash is no harm blah blah blah.. Mention a 'wee' bit of hash/smoke if your a twit and don't understand my thread!?!?

Your opening post was a bit vague, to be honest and repeated attempts to establish why you were disappointed went unanswered. Nor did you explain why you saw him as a hero. If you'd included the last paragraph of this post in your opening post, it would have helped a lot.

I'm still unclear as to what you mean by 'drugs'. Which drugs? All drugs? Dangerous drugs (and if so, on what grounds are the dangerous)? Illegal drugs (in which case decriminalising them would surely be seen as a solution - people won't be taking 'illegal' drugs then?)

It's been repeatedly proven (and repeatedly conveniently ignored by other posters) that there is no correlation between a drug's safety standing and it's legal status. How do you react to this?

Your opening post was a bit vague, to be honest and repeated attempts to establish why you were disappointed went unanswered. Nor did you explain why you saw him as a hero. If you'd included the last paragraph of this post in your opening post, it would have helped a lot.

I'm still unclear as to what you mean by 'drugs'. Which drugs? All drugs? Dangerous drugs (and if so, on what grounds are the dangerous)? Illegal drugs (in which case decriminalising them would surely be seen as a solution - people won't be taking 'illegal' drugs then?)

It's been repeatedly proven (and repeatedly conveniently ignored by other posters) that there is no correlation between a drug's safety standing and it's legal status. How do you react to this?

I'll try and make it simple with 2 very easily understandable points.

1: Why would you make it easier for people to be out of their heads?
    2: The illegal drug producers would just invent and supply 'better' drugs than what the government deem legal and the doses will be more potent in the new illegal drugs that will no doubt become available on the streets.

2: The illegal drug producers would just invent and supply 'better' drugs than what the government deem legal and the doses will be more potent in the new illegal drugs that will no doubt become available on the streets.

If they were able to do that how come they're not already doing it?

How do you imagine that conversation going?

chemist : hey lads, I can make this new and awesome drug and you'll be able to sell it and increase your profits!!!

drug dealer : nah.....we're good, business is fine, let's not overstretch ourselves

1: Why would you make it easier for people to be out of their heads?

You didn't answer either of my questions, and while the first of these is a strawman argument, the second is a slippery slope fallacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-I changed it. Not feeling even a little bit guilty.

Original title was this click bait -So Disappointing!?

Putinbot wrote: »

I thought you guys weren't allowed a sense of humour?

Or is that just the admins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No idea what you're disappointed about, either - Egypt's world cup results, possibly?

You're really not funny, you know that? Some of us lost a fiver in a sweepstakes because of those feckers :mad:

Putinbot wrote: »

I can't believe you dont feel guilty!?

I can't believe you dont feel guilty!?

Disappointing week all round, eh Sam? :)

Advertisement