Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Wall Construction Types

Options
  • 26-06-2018 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi all,

Can you advise me what type of external wall construction would you recommend for an extension? (5M depth x 6m width). The current wall of the house (built 1970's) is 215mm hollow block with external render and internal plaster.

What type of wall construction would you recommend for our proposed extension?

1. A 300mm cavity block wall with 60mm insulation in the cavity
    2. A 215mm hollow block wall with timber battens with 80mm insulation and plasterboard and external render

Any recommendations? Any pro and cons on either or even any other method?

Hope you can advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: if you read the chatter you will find no advice given here.
    2: 300mm cavity wall requires a structural engineering design.[ I presume you mean cavity wall and not a cavity block]
    3: if you go with the 215 HB, then you should render in inner face with sand cement for airtightness purposes
    4: its not clear from the post how the 80mm insulation will be fitted but you should have a service cavity on the warm side of the insulation.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Sleather678

Not sure what you meant on chatter? I'm newish here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi all,

Can you advise me what type of external wall construction would you recommend for an extension? (5M depth x 6m width). The current wall of the house (built 1970's) is 215mm hollow block with external render and internal plaster.

What type of wall construction would you recommend for our proposed extension?

1. A 300mm cavity block wall with 60mm insulation in the cavity
    2. A 215mm hollow block wall with timber battens with 80mm insulation and plasterboard and external render

Any recommendations? Any pro and cons on either or even any other method?

Hope you can advise.
    Cavity should be min 120min for extension with full fill PIR board
    Not a fan of drylining. Recommend you go with cavity or externally insulate. You may want to look at external wall insulation for existing also.

Recommend you read around the forum and consider professional design and sign off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not sure what you meant on chatter? I'm newish here.
    I meant charter, as you are new we don't give advice.
    My bad

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

2: 300mm cavity wall requires a structural engineering design.[ I presume you mean cavity wall and not a cavity block]

i would say calahonda he is talking about an old stile cavity wall 100mm block 100mm cavity (with 80mm insulation) 100m block not a 300mm wide cavity

• Advertisement
Advertisement