Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water charges revisited?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    IF we cancelled MetroLink and BusConnects, we would have the money for water infrastructure. Thems the choices.

Unless the magic money tree makes a reappearance.

Thankfully the people saw that particular magic money tree hacked down. It's funny how certain things require a 'magic money tree' but we've tens of millions to flitter away on others.
    The state needs get it's housekeeping priorities in order. Supposedly the 'economy' is going great guns, now time to look at housing, health, education, water, the basic kind of things we bother with an 'economy' for? I don't think holding out to try bring in privatisation is working, if that's the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Don't forget folks, the charges as levied weren't even going to cover the admin costs of the structure set up to levy them. This means two things, the charges were only going to climb and hitching scope for capital investment to their success was just a red herring.

At the same time, folks in the Cities had been paying pretty eye watering levels of property tax, with zero regard for ability to pay, only to see a whack of of it redistributed to rural areas. So politically, the timing and manner of introducing water charges was naive, miscalculated and doomed. So miscalculated in fact, they have destroyed the chance of bringing in any sort of charging regime for generations.

A couple of things need to happen. 1, Irish Water needs to be abolished and network investment handed over to TII to be handled like the civil engineering challenge it is and let them get on with it using their proven expertise. 2, the Dept of Environment and the Councils need to make water conservation a local civic matter, because it is the right thing to do and do the PR like plastic bags and the smoking ban, put an education programme into schools. Awareness becomes second nature and over time we become better as a Country and managing the resource, particularly if our weather is going to become more extreme.

The charges as originally proposed would well have covered any admin costs. Yes, there were one-off initial costs, but by now, there would have been a significant growing surplus to be invested in fixing leaks and infrastructure, together with the facility to borrow off-books.

TII have proven expertise in water infrastructure? Really?

PR? Having a laugh? All that would happen is that those who don't care and don't listen would still waste water. Educating people not to smoke didn't work so we banned it legislatively. Asking people with PR to reuse plastic bags and educating them about the environment didn't work so we brought in a charge. You make a very good case for water charges with those examples.

Many cronyisms = one board appointment.

Don't be so purposefully naive. I'll not jump down this particular rabbit hole thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Larbre34 wrote:
    TII are civil engineering project managers, it doesnt particularly matter whether its a motorway a tramline or a pipeline network, they know how to package up projects and deliver them. My point is, they are already in situ, now that charges have gone away, having Irish Water remain is costly duplication of resources.

So what part of Irish water would not be needed? TII does have civil engineering but they I imagine are already working on projects. So what you are proposing is removing them putting them on some thing they are not fimilar with(civil engineering is a broad area) , back filling their positions and paying redundancy to the equivalent people in Irish water. That is one way to waste money and get a worse service in the short run at least(until the project managers get up to speed with how the current system works)

I understand why people might oppose water charges even if I don't agree. What I don't understand is how some people call water a human right but oppose a national body to look after water in a small country like Ireland. Grand you might not like it in its current incarnation but replacing it would largely be a very expensive rebranding exercise which would bar a few high profile people keep the same organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

blanch152 wrote:
    IF we cancelled MetroLink and BusConnects, we would have the money for water infrastructure. Thems the choices.

Enforce the effective cooperation tax rate/increase the hospitality vat rate to 13.5% more choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Enforce the effective cooperation tax rate/increase the hospitality vat rate to 13.5% more choices.

Also €13 billion due from Apple which would pay for a few pipes..

Use NAMA monies instead of allocating it to cheap loans for developers, some of who caused a need for NAMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Unless the magic money tree makes a reappearance.

This is gas.

When Irish Water was in full swing, households being threatened with everything from the sheriff and trickles, the water infrastructure was the most important thing in the state, the sky falling in was imminent if we didn't do something etc etc etc.

Roll on to mid 2018 and despite FG unveiling a plan to spend 120 billion on infrastructure and other ventures, water seemingly doesn't get a look in, and you're suggesting people pick one project over another.

Threads gone full circle

The Emperors wearing no clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

The charges as originally proposed would well have covered any admin costs. Yes, there were one-off initial costs, but by now, there would have been a significant growing surplus to be invested in fixing leaks and infrastructure, together with the facility to borrow off-books.

That was the plan in theory, but it didnt happen, because to work it was dependant upon first getting customers signed up en masse and then ramping up the charges, because the original charges being levied were completely unsustainable in a business context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

The campaigns against water charges goes back to the lamentable Joe Higgins. He started with the tautology that 'we were already paying for it'
    (RTE could never handle that absurdity)

This was before any body had been constituted to run the utility.

Once set up, or thereabouts, the arguments against the concept moved on to the actualities involved in the set up of this IW (every new and old organization makes mistakes). Each and every one of these was bigged up by the opportunists/tax dodgers/the Left into' inflated points of principle' so that A was against charges because Tierney, a failed LG official got the top job (he's gone now so what are the new 'principles' [Jerry Grant impresses me as a CEO]
    B was against charges because of Tierney's salary
    C was against charges because of Tierney's pension
    D ditto consultants
    E ditto Siteserv
    etc etc etc

The third phase of principled (so called) objections were based on scares
    for the future - privatization and charges escalating.

Thus the past,the present and the future were encapsulated into a farrago of nonsense.

All the objections lumped together do not amount to a hill of beans.

I do not believe that for one moment any of the political actors (sans Brendan Ogle) believed in the 'cause' they argued for, not Paul Murphy, not Eoin O'Broin, not Barry Cowan.

Opportunists the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I see the lamatation of the mess FG created is still going on. Several forget that over 600k households never engaged with Irish Water. Over 100k people travelled from all the country to take part in one of the biggest marches held against IW.
    Strange even after the last election and the almost annihilation of the Labour Party people are still seeking blame everyone other than the authors of the mess that is and was IW. I'll refresh the memories of those that have forgotten. FG and Labour created the mess. Their fault no one else's. Good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Laughing at the irony of Good Loser being a very bad loser. The vitriol even after all the water under the bridge, pun intended!

We mustnt forget to give Fianna Fáil their share of the blame for IW, they signed us up for the damn thing when they were busy hawking the rest of family silver and studiously not burning junior bondholders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Good loser wrote: »
    Once set up, or thereabouts, the arguments against the concept moved on to the actualities involved in the set up of this IW (every new and old organization makes mistakes).

Making mistakes is fine. Making the same predictable "mistakes" over and over while wasting vast sums of tax payers money is not.

The thing is, none of us were surprised by these "mistakes" because they weren't mistakes at all. They were a prime example of how we do business in this rotten and corrupt little state of ours.

The government clearly managed to dupe you and others but they didn't fool enough of us this time round and they'll never get away with trying a stunt like that again.
    Each and every one of these was bigged up by the opportunists/tax dodgers/the Left

This was one of the main reasons you lost. I said it here at the time and was scoffed at. You wrote us all off as tax dodgers / scroungers / dole cheats etc. It was a lazy response and you were wrong.

It was a fatal error by the pro water tax side but thank you as it took your eyes off the ball and ensured victory for us.

I do not believe that for one moment any of the political actors (sans Brendan Ogle) believed in the 'cause' they argued for, not Paul Murphy, not Eoin O'Broin, not Barry Cowan.

Well that's just your opinion and given that the Oireachtas committee on water charges found otherwise and that the Dail voted to accept their findings, you really don't have a leg to stand on..

But as above, thank you for underestimating us and please keep doing so.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is gas.

When Irish Water was in full swing, households being threatened with everything from the sheriff and trickles, the water infrastructure was the most important thing in the state, the sky falling in was imminent if we didn't do something etc etc etc.

Roll on to mid 2018 and despite FG unveiling a plan to spend 120 billion on infrastructure and other ventures, water seemingly doesn't get a look in, and you're suggesting people pick one project over another.

Threads gone full circle

The Emperors wearing no clothes.

Friend of mine is an engineer for Irish water. There are countless infrastructure projects underway. Funding doesn't seem to be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

I think the masses have made it clear in the past with all the protests against water charges that they are not concerned about the supply of water

"Inviting" people to become customers to sign up to a new charge was never going to work.

A stupid concept in any jurisdiction, but deemed 100% necessary in the case in hand because of the supposedly clever way IW was created as a utility
    company.

The air began to come out of the tyre when people realised that declining that invitation had no real consequences.

I think in retrospect the government knew this was not going to be a runner beyond those who were dyed in the wool FG supporters and had plan B well in place, effective wind down of the brand hype and continued exchequer funding.
    That is why funding is apparently not an issue now, years later.

I would lump FG as a whole, along with Labour in to this personally. What happened to their own cause and principles surrounding 'potable water' and Irish Water?
    • Weren't we told that pps nos were vital to Irish Water? Couldn't work at all without them being handed over? Then they weren't needed anymore, and it could still work.
    • The set unit per litre had to be set at a certain level, and the allowances couldn't be adjusted or it wouldn't work. Then they were, and it could still work.
    • Charges couldn't be capped, the project wouldn't work if they were capped. Then they were capped, and it could still work.
    • Non payers would have to be shut off and reduced to a trickle, then they weren't.
    • Daily fines of millions. Etc etc etc.

Conmen and charlatans the lot of them.

FG had manners put on them. Time to get over it GL.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Rennaws wrote: »
    Also €13 billion due from Apple which would pay for a few pipes..

Not at all.

If and when Apple pay the €13B, virtually none of it is owed to the Irish Government.

I don't know exactly what % of global sales for Apple Ireland accounts for but I'd imagine it's a very tiny amount.

The money would be owed to the states where the Sales occured not where it's collected. In this case Ireland would simply be collecting Taxes for other people. We'd be lucky to get a few million at most out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

This is getting bit bizarre, and you seem to be in a gang of one on this.

This is from the pdf you linked to.
    Surprising goalpost shift! /sarcasm

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    A poster here was adamant taxes were going to increase and repeatedly asked what taxes we would like to see increased. If I recall correctly income tax fell in the last budget as did usc. Vat remained the same however I believe the hospitality vat rate should be hiked back up to 13.5%. The 9% has served it's reason d' etre.
    We didn't need to raise tax because we're just not doing the work that IW was going to do. There is a bit of activity going on, but not much, and that activity is taking away from investment in infrastructure in other areas.

Except that's not true.

NDP 2018-2027, Chapter 5, Page 83 - National Strategic Outcome 9. Sustainable Management of Water and other Environmental Resources

Surprising goalpost shift! /sarcasm

What exactly have I shifted? Where is the sarcasm?

You stated that the expert commission didn't reach the conclusions I said they reached, and further to that, you said that the conclusions reached had no impact on the govt deciding to abolish them anyway (or similar, on phone but open to correction)

I even pasted extracts from the actual pdf that you attactched.

Bit of clarity on your end wouldn't go amiss.

What exactly have I shifted? Where is the sarcasm?

You stated that the expert commission didn't reach the conclusions I said they reached, and further to that, you said that the conclusions reached had no impact on the govt deciding to abolish them anyway (or similar, on phone but open to correction)

I even pasted extracts from the actual pdf that you attactched.

Bit of clarity on your end wouldn't go amiss.
    I've said it at least 5 times now, but you choose to ignore it. It's only "getting bizarre" because you're all over the shop on this. I've been clear:
    You keep making the claim that the charging system was abolished on foot of recommendations by the committee. This assumes the committee recommended abolition of the charging system and/or that the recommendations resulted in the charging system being abolished.

Neither statement is accurate and this is quite clear in the report itself.

Water charges were suspended before the committee was put together, it says so clearly in their report. Therefore they can't be responsible for the suspension of something that occurred prior to their existence.

You also seem to imply that the report concluded that there should be no domestic charges, when they in fact they concluded that there should be an allowance over which domestic charges should apply - it is even obvious in your selective quotation.

The government has provided for legislation which is enacted (although admittedly I'm not sure commenced - I'd have to check) which provides for what the report concluded: an allowance of 213,000 litres over which amount domestic users will be required to pay tariffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Not sure if you have seen this but Irish Water have issued their pricing proposal document for non-domestic tariffs, with a view to these rates kicking in from Q4 19.

https://www.cru.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/CRU18114-CRU-Consultation-Paper-Irish-Waters-Proposals-for-a-new-Non-Domestic-Tariff-Framework.pdf
    See p97, section 6

Basically there are 3 tariffs:
    Standard <1,000m3 €3.12 per m3
    Commercial 1,000 - 19,999m3 €2.78 per m3
    Industrial >20,000m3 €2.64 per m3

For the record, Dublin Corpo area is currently at €1.99 per m3.

Now obviously the Regulator will have a kick at these figures and they will probably fall a bit. But still, the company I work for is looking at 30% to 40% of an annual price rise. Which is huge.

I haven't heard any screams from ISME IBEC etc yet so I presume this info hasn't worked it's way through the business community yet. But when it does, there's going to be a lot of noise

jay0109 wrote: »
    Not sure if you have seen this but Irish Water have issued their pricing proposal document for non-domestic tariffs, with a view to these rates kicking in from Q4 19.

https://www.cru.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/CRU18114-CRU-Consultation-Paper-Irish-Waters-Proposals-for-a-new-Non-Domestic-Tariff-Framework.pdf
    See p97, section 6

Basically there are 3 tariffs:
    Standard <1,000m3 €3.12 per m3
    Commercial 1,000 - 19,999m3 €2.78 per m3
    Industrial >20,000m3 €2.64 per m3

For the record, Dublin Corpo area is currently at €1.99 per m3.

Now obviously the Regulator will have a kick at these figures and they will probably fall a bit. But still, the company I work for is looking at 30% to 40% of an annual price rise. Which is huge.

I haven't heard any screams from ISME IBEC etc yet so I presume this info hasn't worked it's way through the business community yet. But when it does, there's going to be a lot of noise
    I can't recall what the initial rates were, are these significantly higher?

• Advertisement

I've said it at least 5 times now, but you choose to ignore it. It's only "getting bizarre" because you're all over the shop on this. I've been clear:

Water charges were suspended before the committee was put together, it says so clearly in their report. Therefore they can't be responsible for the suspension of something that occurred prior to their existence.

You also seem to imply that the report concluded that there should be no domestic charges, when they in fact they concluded that there should be an allowance over which domestic charges should apply - it is even obvious in your selective quotation.

The government has provided for legislation which is enacted (although admittedly I'm not sure commenced - I'd have to check) which provides for what the report concluded: an allowance of 213,000 litres over which amount domestic users will be required to pay tariffs.

Do you understand the difference in suspension and abolition yeah?

The charging regime was suspended by the govt, then abolished based on the recommendations of the expert committee.

I never mentioned suspension of the charging system, you brought that to the party.

Did you say I was all over the shop, and shifted goalposts?

Do you understand the difference in suspension and abolition yeah?

The charging regime was suspended by the govt, then abolished based on the recommendations of the expert committee.

I never mentioned suspension of the charging system, you brought that to the party.

Did you say I was all over the shop, and shifted goalposts?

Oh, I understand the difference between suspension and abolition... let's see if you do?

They didn't abolish domestic water charges. The charges have been suspended and the Water Services Act 2017 (and take note of the word "Act" and not "Bill" - this is a passed law) has amended the previous Act(s) vis-a-vis funding model.
    10. The Act of 2007 is amended by the insertion of the following section after section 53B (inserted by section 9 ):
    “53C. (1) Irish Water shall not charge a customer for water services provided by Irish Water to the customer’s dwelling over a 12 month period unless the water services so provided exceed the threshold amount.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a calculation by Irish Water of water services provided to a customer’s dwelling may be made in respect of any 12 month period.”.

The "Threshold Amount" is defined in the Water Services Act 2007 (Threshold Amount and Allowance Amount) Order 2017 as 213,000 litres per annum.

That is the current law on our books, whether you like it or not.

The amount paid over that amount and the method for charging domestic users for that usage over the amount is not yet decided to my knowledge.

Say it with me slowly - domestic water charges have not been abolished, they have been suspended and the committee report had (unless they also invented a time machine) nothing to do with that suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

I can't recall what the initial rates were, are these significantly higher?

You mean the current rates that IW charges which they inherited from each Local Authority?

If yes those rates are currently:
    DCC €1.99m3
    DunLa/Rth €2.28m3
    Fingal €2.21m3
    Cork €2.44m3
    Galway €2.10m3
    Limerick €2.70m3
    Louth €2.10m3

So as you can see, the new proposed rates are a substantial increase on any of the current rates.

Oh, I understand the difference between suspension and abolition... let's see if you do?

They didn't abolish domestic water charges. The charges have been suspended and the Water Services Act 2017 (and take note of the word "Act" and not "Bill" - this is a passed law) has amended the previous Act(s) vis-a-vis funding model.

The "Threshold Amount" is defined in the Water Services Act 2007 (Threshold Amount and Allowance Amount) Order 2017 as 213,000 litres per annum.

That is the current law on our books, whether you like it or not.

The amount paid over that amount and the method for charging domestic users for that usage over the amount is not yet decided to my knowledge.

Say it with me slowly - domestic water charges have not been abolished, they have been suspended and the committee report had (unless they also invented a time machine) nothing to do with that suspension.

Oh dear. This is awkward.

You might want to check the timeline of this post, because its pretty clear, and makes you look like you have been chasing parked cars. :o

FG got together a team of independent experts, with the task of investigating how best to fund our water system.

This expert commission came back, recommended that the charging system be abolished, and that we should continue to fund our water system from general taxation, and look at some way to sanction those deemed to be wasting water.

So the previous charging system.... it got thrown under the bus, yeah?

The govt abolished said regime, following the experts report, yeah?

They are looking to penalize people who are deemed to be wasting water by exceeding an allowance, yeah?

Oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I would lump FG as a whole, along with Labour in to this personally. What happened to their own cause and principles surrounding 'potable water' and Irish Water?
    • Weren't we told that pps nos were vital to Irish Water? Couldn't work at all without them being handed over? Then they weren't needed anymore, and it could still work.
    • The set unit per litre had to be set at a certain level, and the allowances couldn't be adjusted or it wouldn't work. Then they were, and it could still work.
    • Charges couldn't be capped, the project wouldn't work if they were capped. Then they were capped, and it could still work.
    • Non payers would have to be shut off and reduced to a trickle, then they weren't.

All true and all symptoms of how badly the government handled the establishment of IW. But, IMO, the basic idea was the correct one because (a) it would allow IW as a commercial entity to borrow without affecting the states balance sheet and (b) paying for water would undoubtedly result in less wastage (accepting that leaks are a major problem also).

I can understand oppostion to IW as it was set up but I cannot understand the opposition to the basic idea by anyone with a brain in their head. We need major investment (which we never got because current priorities will always trump long term investment when budgets are being drawn up) and this is the only way. I accept it won't happen because of lousy implementation but we will all suffer for it in the long term.

• Advertisement

Oh dear. This is awkward.

You might want to check the timeline of this post, because its pretty clear, and makes you look like you have been chasing parked cars. :o

So the previous charging system.... it got thrown under the bus, yeah?

The govt abolished said regime, following the experts report, yeah?

They are looking to penalize people who are deemed to be wasting water by exceeding an allowance, yeah?

Oops

It got thrown under the bus, it got suspended and it got amended - what it didn't get was abolished.

It got thrown under the bus, it got suspended and it got amended - what it didn't get was abolished.

Did I not specify that they would look at ways to penalize people who would exceed their allowance :confused:

Pretty sure I did tbh.

I'm not going to keep arguing with someone who not only is wrong, but consistently wrong.

Lifes too short tbh.

It's not a penalty, it's a charge. Or are you suggesting now that the report specifies penalties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This bs of taxes have to be increased, they won’t. There will simply be less tax cuts and less of a welfare increases... long gone are they day of e20 welfare increases or more every budget, they’ll get a fiver and that’s a fiver too much ...

One easy way to fund it would be not meddling with property tax. But you know what , In a way, everyone shouldering the burden is the best outcome and not only the usual suspects and that will only happen with the scenario we now have ...

It's not a penalty, it's a charge. Or are you suggesting now that the report specifies penalties?

Going over your allowance = being charged/penalised.

You're splitting hairs now for the sake of it.

We didn't need to raise tax because we're just not doing the work that IW was going to do. There is a bit of activity going on, but not much, and that activity is taking away from investment in infrastructure in other areas.

Billions of euros worth of "activities" in investment in infrastructure going on.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irish-water-to-spend-55bn-on-capital-expenditure-by-2021-456237.html

Can you cite some activities that have been cancelled, "that IW was going to do"??

The campaigns against water charges goes back to the lamentable Joe Higgins. He started with the tautology that 'we were already paying for it'
    (RTE could never handle that absurdity)

This was before any body had been constituted to run the utility.

Once set up, or thereabouts, the arguments against the concept moved on to the actualities involved in the set up of this IW (every new and old organization makes mistakes). Each and every one of these was bigged up by the opportunists/tax dodgers/the Left into' inflated points of principle' so that A was against charges because Tierney, a failed LG official got the top job (he's gone now so what are the new 'principles' [Jerry Grant impresses me as a CEO]
    B was against charges because of Tierney's salary
    C was against charges because of Tierney's pension
    D ditto consultants
    E ditto Siteserv
    etc etc etc

The third phase of principled (so called) objections were based on scares
    for the future - privatization and charges escalating.

Thus the past,the present and the future were encapsulated into a farrago of nonsense.

Talk about re-writing history.

Mistakes? 'We look after our own'? The metering/siteserv deal under investigation. The Consultant fees. The charge. These were not 'mistakes' sadly.

Opportunists? Dinny did okay after venturing into a brand new business, and just in time, (or preemptively? actually the timing of all this is all very chicken and egg. Did he get the sweet deal and then the contract or get the contract and then the company?) to win a state contract.

Tax dodgers? But Fine Gael/Noonan supported it?
    (See 9 years of forgetting to pay FG taxes)

You can pretend the charge wasn't the number one reason for protests, but that doesn't make it so. Your alphabetised list was just more proof of the quality of the people overseeing the organisation.
    Nobody made more of a meal out of promoting Murphy than FG/Lab. He was handy when calling people protesting 'ISIS' didn't float. It was easier castigating Murphy than politicians having to disagree and try vilify the public.

I still believe privatisation was the goal. That's how these people roll.

dense wrote: »
    Billions of euros worth of "activities" in investment in infrastructure going on.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irish-water-to-spend-55bn-on-capital-expenditure-by-2021-456237.html

Can you cite some activities that have been cancelled, "that IW was going to do"??

The €5.5bn to 2021 is what Irish Water was going to do and it is them that's doing it currently, but that's down from €9.2bn (€8bn initial proposal plus the 1.22bn that was supposed to happen 2014-2016), so we're down €3.7bn with the added good measure of it being counted on the government balance sheet - so with increased surplus since 2016, we're probably just about breaking even.

With €3.7bn less spent on water infrastructure and €5.5bn that could have been spent elsewhere.

Yay?

The final outcome is closer to the original proposal than the interim fudge. In time, and in response to repeated drought crises like the current one, the allowance will be cut and cut again, and we will have a fair system where there is a basic allowance and charges for exceeding this.

In time, the government may relinquish further control, and by around 2026, Irish Water may be able to borrow off-books, 10 years later than needed, but at least they can get on with proper investment then.

In the meantime, some people have to maintain the fiction that water charges were abolished, they weren't, the threshold was increased to such a level that most people are exempt. At least the cap was removed. Let us hope for a return of rationality to political discourse.

The final outcome is closer to the original proposal than the interim fudge. In time, and in response to repeated drought crises like the current one, the allowance will be cut and cut again, and we will have a fair system where there is a basic allowance and charges for exceeding this.

In time, the government may relinquish further control, and by around 2026, Irish Water may be able to borrow off-books, 10 years later than needed, but at least they can get on with proper investment then.

In the meantime, some people have to maintain the fiction that water charges were abolished, they weren't, the threshold was increased to such a level that most people are exempt. At least the cap was removed. Let us hope for a return of rationality to political discourse.

Excuse me? It wasn't needed 11 or 12 years ago? It's been let fester with minimal patching for decades or are we back to the only important thing being 'off the books'? Please try keep from fudging.
    So my Irish Water bill sits in the shadows waiting on it's time to shine? The amount of fanciful pedantry on here is ridiculous. They changed the charge by cancelling it. To say IW was billing you and then they stopped because the criteria under which they were billing you had changed not because the charge was abolished is a nonsense. It's nothing beyond mildly amusing, or maybe worrying if you genuinely buy that codology. What a farce.
    We will never see water charges again in the manner we were threatened with. The whole con was a disgrace and waste. Most of us saw it for what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yay?
    Yes because no more water tax and Denis and stuff. ;)

Excuse me? It wasn't needed 11 or 12 years ago? It's been let fester with minimal patching for decades or are we back to the only important thing being 'off the books'? Please try keep from fudging.
    So my Irish Water bill sits in the shadows waiting on it's time to shine? The amount of fanciful pedantry on here is ridiculous. They changed the charge by cancelling it. To say IW was billing you and then they stopped because the criteria under which they were billing you had changed not because the charge was abolished is a nonsense. It's nothing beyond mildly amusing, or maybe worrying if you genuinely buy that codology. What a farce.
    We will never see water charges again in the manner we were threatened with. The whole con was a disgrace and waste. Most of us saw it for what it was.

If you have any semblance of understanding of the reality of Irish politics, then you would understand how important being off the books is.

Sewage treatment plants aren't sexy photoshoots, so the politicians spend the infrastructure money on roads, schools and hospitals instead. That is what nearly 80 of the last 100 years of FF gives us. So, Irish Water will never get the investment needed from the centre.

The original system of water charges is still in place. All that has happened is that the threshold for free water has been pushed so high that most people can waste as much as they want. It will change, events such as climate change and drought ensure that it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

If you have any semblance of understanding of the reality of Irish politics, then you would understand how important being off the books is.

Sewage treatment plants aren't sexy photoshoots, so the politicians spend the infrastructure money on roads, schools and hospitals instead. That is what nearly 80 of the last 100 years of FF gives us. So, Irish Water will never get the investment needed from the centre.

The original system of water charges is still in place. All that has happened is that the threshold for free water has been pushed so high that most people can waste as much as they want. It will change, events such as climate change and drought ensure that it will.

Plus, of course, it is hard to see how the current system for water charges/non-charges would be defensible under EU law if it all ends up before the CJEU (and if I remember correctly the CJEU can levy fines back to the date that the water charge were suspended).

View wrote: »
    Plus, of course, it is hard to see how the current system for water charges/non-charges would be defensible under EU law if it all ends up before the CJEU (and if I remember correctly the CJEU can levy fines back to the date that the water charge were suspended).
    I think the current proposal (i.e. basically the original proposal) of subsidized allowance with fees above that level should satisfy the WFD.

I think the current proposal (i.e. basically the original proposal) of subsidized allowance with fees above that level should satisfy the WFD.

The proposal is framed, I believe, to capture 8% of domestic users. Are you saying you think this will be enough to satisfy the WFD?

On another tack I wonder if a constitutional action was brought by those who are currently paying privately for water, while those on mains substantially pay nothing, on the basis that it was against the provision that all should be treated equally, would it succeed?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Laughing at the irony of Good Loser being a very bad loser. The vitriol even after all the water under the bridge, pun intended!

We mustnt forget to give Fianna Fáil their share of the blame for IW, they signed us up for the damn thing when they were busy hawking the rest of family silver and studiously not burning junior bondholders.

There are many, many ways the running/management of this country could be improved but the asininity of not charging households for the water they use combines cretinous logic with unparalleled mathematical incompetence on an industrial scale. To be repeated again and again.

You've been called out on the so-called 'expert committee' so many times by Freudian Slippers I won't waste time on any more of your guff.

Use NAMA monies instead of allocating it to cheap loans for developers, some of who caused a need for NAMA.

Didn't you allocate this money for social housing? And loads more?

Spending the same money twice - much like paying for water twice!

You've been called out on the so-called 'expert committee' so many times by Freudian Slippers I won't waste time on any more of your guff.

What an excellent rebuttal, and as regards being "called out" when a so called legal whiz kid gets so much wrong their arguments been reducedto pathetic pedantry with attempting to split hairs between a charge and a penalty in a desperate attempt to be right about something - I'll let yourself and the other lemon suckers stew.

Fg screwed the project up.

Stop looking for others to blame. :D

• Advertisement

On another tack I wonder if a constitutional action was brought by those who are currently paying privately for water, while those on mains substantially pay nothing, on the basis that it was against the provision that all should be treated equally, would it succeed?

It would not, because then you would be faced with the problem that urban dwellers were subsidising others via property tax.

There is also the conundrum of annual subsidies paid by way of grants that the private payers receive.

Lastly, they're all treated equally regardless.

Constantly whinging on here, (always in the small hours) about people paying privately for water, and how everyone should be treated equally is laughable.

Everyone in the state is treated equally, the public mains was paid for and maintained by the state, and is there for any citizen to avail of.

There is nothing stopping you upping sticks, and moving into a house connected to the public mains, and being treated equally to everyone and anyone else on it.

Just the same as public beaches in Kerry are free to be enjoyed by those in Kerry, or those in Monaghan. :D

Advertisement