Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dental Advice

• 26-06-2018 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So my story begins earlier this month when I went up North to get a filling thinking I’d pay less. The Dentist said the problem I was having with my tooth is that the filling had come loose and replaced the silver filling with a white filling (charged me 170 euro for this). Bring it forward to today where my tooth is in bits from the filling and I can barely eat or drink. I went to my usual dentist and they said that the tooth isn’t taking to the filling.

She wants to go down the root of trying a temporary filling and seeing if that takes and then replacing it with an actual filling. Otherwise if the temporary one doesn’t take to do a Root Canal (Charged me 90 euro for this appointment.)

I’m wondering if I can go back to the Dentist I went to up north to see if he’ll replace the filling, but I’m afraid he’ll just throw on some charges leaving a bigger hole in my pocket. I’m wondering, due to the pain being from the filling he put in. Would he have to fix it for free or can he charge more?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Call the surgery and explain the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Leaving aside where you had this done, that isn't really relevant, you started off with a large cavity in your tooth which needed a filling, so there was an existing problem with your tooth. A large filling was placed and the tooth was sore afterwards, this is not uncommon, the closer the decay/filling is to the pulp chamber/nerve, the more likely it is to be sore. You went to another dentist, they charged you, perfectly normal, they didn't do the filling after all and you made the appointment to have it checked and discuss your options, but now you want free treatment from the dentist who placed the filling.

If the tooth is sore because the filling was badly placed, then yes, the dentist should replace it free of charge. If however the tooth is sore because the decay/cavity was close to the nerve, then I'm afraid that is not the fault of the dentist so I'm not sure you could expect to be provided with free treatment. You don't have a long term relationship with the clinic where the filling was done so there is a good chance they will make a decision based on business alone and charge you for treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

170 euro is heavy even for a big filling...must have smelled a southern taigs :)

Davo10's advice is solid.

Advertisement