Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rant: Estates/Streets whose names are a mouthful (often As Gaelige)

• 26-06-2018 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

This is a place I’ve had to go to recently:
    Lus Na Meala

So over the phone yerman was like "Lus na meala it’s 3 words L U S no not L U F it's S for Sugar space Na Yeah N for November Ah for Apple, Yeah its Irish, space ya another space and another word Meala No no not Neela I’ll spell it M for mother E for elephant A for Apple L for what’s L for.. L for Liam A for Apple.

Another one Radharc an Bhaile. There’s half a chance Paddy will spell it correctly but what a pain if the party you’re giving it doesn’t have the Cupla Focail.

I dunno is the the developers or the council who come up with these gems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

An American couple asked me before how to get to Doonlaygohara. I wouldn't blame them, Dun Laoghaire doesn't look like it sounds like that. I've also heard them say Inchickory for Inchicore which was fun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I used to work in hostels, we used to get sh*t like that daily.

How do I get to How?th?

Is there anything to see in Talla-ag-thhh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Is there anything to see in Talla-ag-thhh?

Yeah there's a lovely supermarket called Lid... Oh wait it's gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Meh, if you go to a foreign country it's just part of the deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think the whole Irish language thing is a waste of time and money when you have official street names, road names and public information signs where the Irish part is actually gibberish; grammatically wrong, misspelled or badly translated on Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I don't mind the As Gaeilge ones, it's the ones that are "Something something drive" or boulevard that annoy me.

It's like little parts of suburban cookie-cutter America imposed on our countryside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

They should all be named after famous professional wrestlers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

People need to use Eircodes more for issues like the OP.

Outside of that, it's pretty common in many countries to have issues pronouncing place names, even English speaking countries:
    England - Greenwich, Reading, Chiswick, Ruislip
    US - Poughkeepsie, Boise, Spokane, Arkansas

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Thread closed, I think there is already a section that is more in tune for your post OP ;)https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1193

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement