Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave Annual Leave Question

Options
  • 26-06-2018 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I'm taking Parental Leave very shortly. I'm taking 1/2 days for 5 days of the week. So essentially working a 1/2 week. This is more or less for 2 years. We have 3 kids under 6. The eldest is on ASD spectrum.
    I have an annual allocation of 25 days annual leave a year.
    When my Parental Leave kicks in, when I apply for annual leave am I basically only taking 4 hours out of my annual leave as I'm working half days. So essentially will I get double the annual leave allocation.

Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Hi,

So I'm taking Parental Leave very shortly. I'm taking 1/2 days for 5 days of the week. So essentially working a 1/2 week. This is more or less for 2 years. We have 3 kids under 6. The eldest is on ASD spectrum.
    I have an annual allocation of 25 days annual leave a year.
    When my Parental Leave kicks in, when I apply for annual leave am I basically only taking 4 hours out of my annual leave as I'm working half days. So essentially will I get double the annual leave allocation.

Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on your organization I would say. Technically because you are now only working half your usual hours your annual leave would be reduced accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

During parental leave your entitlement to Paid Time Off continues to accrue.
    Same as during maternity leave

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Parental leave does not reduce annual leave so as far as I see it you should only have to take a half day annual leave for each day you wish to take off. I work a 4 day week using parental leave and my annual leave is unaffected meaning I only need 4 days leave for a full week off. The citizens information website has some useful information on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You still get annual leave when you’re on parental leave, so if you want a day off now, you only use half the holiday hours. That said, I usually don’t take parental leave when I’m on hols, so my parental leave will stretch a bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Ok thanks for all the answers.
    Its the first time I'd say the company I work for has done anything with parental leave over 1/2 days. I'll wait till I'm actually starting the parental leave before applying for any holidays off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Hi,

No, if your contract stipulates 20 days annual leave, you still get 20 days annual leave.

Thats 20 calendar days, not 20 days worth of working hours so your not entitled to 40 calendar days. Some also mistakenly, think its the opposite - 10 calendar days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Ok thanks for all the answers.
    Its the first time I'd say the company I work for has done anything with parental leave over 1/2 days. I'll wait till I'm actually starting the parental leave before applying for any holidays off.

Shouldn't you just get clarification from the company now?

Advertisement