Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea fishing beginner

Options
  • 26-06-2018 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I am new to the site after Googling for information in relation to sea fishing around Dublin and only finding posts from 10 years ago I decided to join the site so first and foremost hello all :) I fished lakes and rivers previously and always catch and release! But I am completely new to sea fishing.

I have just started sea fishing in Dublin mainly North Dublin in Donabate, Malahide and Howth. I've went out numerous times in the past couple of weeks. So far all I have caught is a smoothound in Malahide.

Tried the beach at Donabate last week with ragworm and no luck. I tried Balscadden rocks yesterday with feathers for Mackeral with no joy. I also tried off the pier at Howth and again no joy. Finding it a little frustrating as I thought I would have caught more fish by now lol.

A couple of questions if you guys could help me out please.

Could anyone give me some advice/help on what to do to catch more fish and a range of different fish and what methods should I use?

Does it matter when fishing in high tide and low tide and can fish still be caught in low tide?

Do I have to change methods when fishing a low tide?

Would I be wasting my time spinning with a spinning rod?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luke9311

ht93 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am new to the site after Googling for information in relation to sea fishing around Dublin and only finding posts from 10 years ago I decided to join the site so first and foremost hello all :) I fished lakes and rivers previously and always catch and release! But I am completely new to sea fishing.

I have just started sea fishing in Dublin mainly North Dublin in Donabate, Malahide and Howth. I've went out numerous times in the past couple of weeks. So far all I have caught is a smoothound in Malahide.

Tried the beach at Donabate last week with ragworm and no luck. I tried Balscadden rocks yesterday with feathers for Mackeral with no joy. I also tried off the pier at Howth and again no joy. Finding it a little frustrating as I thought I would have caught more fish by now lol.

A couple of questions if you guys could help me out please.

Could anyone give me some advice/help on what to do to catch more fish and a range of different fish and what methods should I use?

Does it matter when fishing in high tide and low tide and can fish still be caught in low tide?

Do I have to change methods when fishing a low tide?

Would I be wasting my time spinning with a spinning rod?

Thanks in advance!

Hi pal, i cant help you out much as im still in the same boat as you looking for advice on sea fishing. But im also looking for someone to go out fishing around dublin with me sometime. Any chance your willing to private message me? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Hi Lads

So - if your used to coarse - fly fishing, your on the same learning curve you had to go through to get proficient at those methods.

It's an endless schooling, you will learn your own marks, you will lean towards different methods, rigs, tides, and every other variation you can think of.

Firstly, dublin is muck - to be frank - yes you will catch a few species and it can be as good as any other area at times but generally, it's too busy, polluted, and over fished to be worth the bother. Head south - as far as your willing to travel. Im in carlow, and head 90minutes to my marks in wexford - primarily because we dont have a coastline - but in all seriousness im the same distance from dublin, but I wouldnt fish it.

With regards tides - "generally" 2 hrs before high to 2 hrs after are "usually" the best times, however, some beaches fish differently, my usual marks are quite good on a dropping tide.

Spinning, is only useful off of rocks into deep pools "generally" - but, if for instance bass are in numbers, you can fish them from the beach, you will need stiff rods and lures over 30grms for distance however, but generally not many people do this.

The best advice i'll give you while starting out is to watch totally awesome's beach series, if you can listen to graham, then you'l be fine, the series is huge, 50hrs + and starts at the very very beginning. Watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnpMaGRFp1s&t=13s

The next thing you want to look to learn is watercraft, just like fly fishing, you really need to be able to read the water - below are 3 fantastic vids on the matter

https://slaneyfishing.com/probably-best-shore-fishing-tutorial-will-ever-watch/

Gear - are you kitted out correctly? 12ft minimum rods - sea reels 7000 or higher, rigs, 3 hook flappers - pennells - conger traces - hook sizes - between 1/0 - to 6/0

Your general species from the beach will be bass, smoothies, flats (flounder, dabs, etc) whiting, cod, gunnard in places, rays (arklow) - from the rocks - wrasse, scorpions, conger (piers) gunnard - coalie - pollock etc etc.

Hope all this helps - Have a look at the above and come back with any questions you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MusicPromotion

hi guys join us on fb we are a new club fishing all over Ireland based on east coast

We are a Fishing Club based in Blessington area of Wicklow set up to promote fishing, hiking and camping all over Ireland. We are looking for dedicated members interested in days out, weekends away, boat pier and shore fishing as well as competitions etc.
    Monthly meetings and workshops will be implemented to help out younger members and members preparing for competitions etc. Anyone from the surrounding area can become a member just drop us a line!
    086 0662245 - just in the set up stages at the moment so message or call us today.

FACE BOOK - BLESSINGTON SEA ANGLING CLUB

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Silversun

Planning on doing a bit of sea fishing myself soon,
    Would I be wasteing my time on a beach using a cigar float or would I be better of with some spinners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Atourdeforce1

Id either go north from laytown up as far as warrenpoint or down south wicklow/wexford.
    The rocks at howth can be productive occasionally.

For pollock spin using a thin sand eel or something similar. Don't go too big as the pollock inshore at the rocks tend to be around 2lb but some can reach 6lb. Further out you'll find bigger.
    Fish in the evening as they are mainly dusk and night feeders and fish them deep. Slow retrieval without jerking action works best i find.
    You can use bait/and mackerel style feathers work too sometimes.

I'd still give mackerel another few weeks to start coming in. They arrive in abundance on an incoming tide where there's sprats. August Sept is the best time. Use any style of feather. Swivel attached to main line, row of feathers/lures, 2-3oz weight max.
    For sport, use a light rig and bait fish mackerel with strips of mackerel on a light spinning rod. They put up an awesome fight on a light set up.

As a beginner id forget about bass for you're first season and concentrate on landing other species. I say that because it can be frustrating and confusing for a beginner angler with so many techniques and variables. Nail the basics first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement