Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Street view car trespass & camera filming rear garden?

Options
  • 26-06-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

So yesterday at lunchtime my CCTV system notified me of a car passing inside the rear of my PRIVATE laneway boundary. When. I pulled the image up it was a Google Street view camera car, with the 360 camera mounted aloft towering over the rear boundary wall.
    I thought Google could only publish public road or Satellite photos for Street view use, snooping into rear gardens and private laneways seems to be a step too far.
    I tried contacting Google Barrow St earlier and it's almost impossible to get anyone on the phone.
    Trying to find their Irish Data Protection officers details on their website (to use the data protection route) also appears to be a complete runaround. Any ideas here on how to contact the Google street view team to challenge them for trespass within a private laneway and asking them to delete their footage? The live Street view URL has no links to complain about their Street view car activities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Def_IRL wrote: »
    So yesterday at lunchtime my CCTV system notified me of a car passing inside the rear of my PRIVATE laneway boundary. When. I pulled the image up it was a Google Street view camera car, with the 360 camera mounted aloft towering over the rear boundary wall.
    I thought Google could only publish public road or Satellite photos for Street view use, snooping into rear gardens and private laneways seems to be a step too far.
    I tried contacting Google Barrow St earlier and it's almost impossible to get anyone on the phone.
    Trying to find their Irish Data Protection officers details on their website (to use the data protection route) also appears to be a complete runaround. Any ideas here on how to contact the Google street view team to challenge them for trespass within a private laneway and asking them to delete their footage? The live Street view URL has no links to complain about their Street view car activities.

Is your driveway marked private by signage?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't understand what you mean when you say the car was passing 'inside the rear of my PRIVATE laneway boundary' because you then describe how the camera 'was towering over the rear boundary wall'.

If the rear wall is your 'boundary', doesn't that imply that the laneway on the other side of the wall is public or somebody else's property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I think he’s pissed off that google took a few pics of his back garden, I.e. private property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Your county council has nicer aerial shots of your property, better than Google on the planning pages on the interwebs.

Private gardens are common on street view anyway.

But they can be blurred by contacting Google on their report a problem link on the Street view browser.

Used to be anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

OP, is your garden an embarrassment to you? Use the nice weather as an opportunity to do a bit of a tidy up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Shoulf they have known they were trespassing?

Advertisement