Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charities - knocking on door

Options
  • 26-06-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭

Is this a fairly new thing? I had someone knocking on the door yesterday from a charity....would not stop talking.....really pressurizing me to sign up to a direct debit (I honestly dont mind giving 10/20 euro to someone if a really good cause) "Do you not want to help sick children?"...he was not happy when I said I would need to think about it...."I wont get the credit"....really horrendous it was pressure "selling" and would definitely work on some people especially older people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Door-to-door needs to be banned - no purpose in this day n age

• Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gctest50 wrote: »
    Door-to-door needs to be banned - no purpose in this day n age
    I honestly don't mind too much if it is a few euro for a good cause, but this was direct debit and was along the lines of the people in the street with clipboards only a lot more pushy....pretty out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ask them for their bank details. They won't want to give them out to a stranger and neither should you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

gmisk wrote: »
    Is this a fairly new thing?
    Not really. I'm in my house over 20 years now and remember charities coming around in the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is dreadful .

JWs are bad enough..

They will not find me here. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's nothing new. Just close the door. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I just say "sorry I'm not interested".

If they try to persist beyond that I close the door.

If they try to persist beyond that I call the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,267 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just don't open the door to people carrying clipboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Would you really give your bank details to some stranger at the door ? Legit or not.

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Get one of these!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

99 percent of "charities" are scams.

The other 1% are infiltrated by scammers.

Check out the wages of some of the people who work for them

I never give money to charity. I just look after people around me and people I meet in hard circumstances.

I counted 15 charities on Grafton Street collecting for the homeless at Christmas and 20 homeless walking to Heuston Station.

Where did the money go? To those homeless- Nope- Back to HQ to pay the salaries

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The great thing about the invention that is the door, it can be effortlessly closed in the face of unwanted people on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The great thing about the invention that is the door, it can be effortlessly closed in the face of unwanted people on your doorstep.

another is THE DOG. Who barks loudly when anyone comes near. You can now even get bells that bark like a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask them if they have been saved by our lord and saviour Jaysus yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I don't transact business on my doorset not to charities, electricity vendors or communications companies. I just give them a polite no and leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Have a clipboard,and your laminated ‘NOPE’ card on a lanyard, by the door - really confuse them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I blame David Gray. Here he is apologising for not giving enough money to two rude Iranians who called to his door.

https://youtu.be/twWzxwJ8qD4?t=37

Advertisement