Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats pooing in flower bed

Options
  • 26-06-2018 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice my neighbours cats keep pooing in the flower bed in my garden! and when I go to weed it every couple of weeks the smell is ridiculous + very annoying and they just seem to poo there all the time. There's none out the back.

Anyone any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Citrus fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Water pistol if you have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Citrus fruit.

Hi Samuel,

I tried this and they came back do you have to do it for a couple of days/weeks? or what?

benny79 wrote: »
    Hi Samuel,

I tried this and they came back do you have to do it for a couple of days/weeks? or what?

TBH permanently. I use a lot of lemons so just chuck a few around, stops my little buggers from poohing in me carrots! They love carrots for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

could you talk to the neighbor about it, if it bothers you I would think some discussions are appropriate; at the end of the day you have more work because of this.
    now there are cat owners and cat owners - with a bit of luck you live nearby a responsible cat owner.

• Advertisement

mvl wrote: »
    could you talk to the neighbor about it, if it bothers you I would think some discussions are appropriate; at the end of the day you have more work because of this.
    now there are cat owners and cat owners - with a bit of luck you live nearby a responsible cat owner.

What exactly do you expect the owner to do? If a cat is in anyway an out door cat it's going to wander, to say nothing of idiots that get cats and keep them outdoors all the time. A neutered cat won't wander as much but is still going to hop over the wall now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

To be honest, I don't see why dog and cat owners have different obligations: a house pet is a house pet (and I am a dog owner).

At least I would ask them if there is anything they can do to prevent their pet roaming other ppls property (like in ... to restrict them to their own garden instead).
    If they can't, I would ask if they have a recommendation for what should I use to prevent their cat coming to my flower beds; maybe they would feel obliged to contribute towards the costs of the extras someone needs to buy to keep their pets away, if they can't do anything else ?!? I am sure this cost would add up slowly ...

PS: also read about someone asking bluntly a neighbor cat owner to clean the mess on flower beds ; different country though.

Cats can't be fenced in like dogs as they climb. They've traditionally been treated differently. There's no requirement to take steps to find the owner if you run one over for example, no cat warden for another. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm simply asking what you expect them to do.

Frankly tracking it to a particular cat is difficult enough, but yes if one can categorically (see what I did there) track it back, it's not unreasonable to ask for the person top clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

benny79 wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice my neighbours cats keep pooing in the flower bed in my garden! and when I go to weed it every couple of weeks the smell is ridiculous + very annoying and they just seem to poo there all the time. There's none out the back.

Anyone any tips?

Make it less appealing as an outdoor loo.
    Maybe use a ground cover plant to make excavating soil more difficult. Or cover open areas with stone chippings or cobbles. Source or build pir activated water pistols to spray whenever triggered.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

we bought this last week http://www.thegardenshop.ie/cat-deterrent/

We have dogs and the neighbours cats (4 of them) were driving the dogs mad walking on our wall. we tried the spikes on the wall but the cats just managed to avoid them so we got the ultrasonic cat deterrent. Haven't seen a cats since and birds are coming back to the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Cheers for the replies guys

That cat repellent looks good, might give that a go..

I cant really ask my neighbour to sort her cats out in fairness, think she has 2, but cats roam that's the nature of the beast as much as I hate cats. They dont bother me as long as they stop ****ting in my flower bed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Citrus fruit.
    Just attracts slugs, IMO.

Sticks with big spikes is the only thing. Roses or pyrocantha should do the trick.
    Cats can't be fenced in like dogs as they climb. They've traditionally been treated differently. There's no requirement to take steps to find the owner if you run one over for example, no cat warden for another. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm simply asking what you expect them to do.

Frankly tracking it to a particular cat is difficult enough, but yes if one can categorically (see what I did there) track it back, it's not unreasonable to ask for the person top clean it up.
    A decent fence with an overhang back of 45 degrees at the top of it will keep a cat in its own garden. Plenty of people contain their cats.

kylith wrote: »
    A decent fence with an overhang back of 45 degrees at the top of it will keep a cat in its own garden. Plenty of people contain their cats.

I've yet to see anyone employ such a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Check over in the pet forum. Several people discuss catproofing their garden and building catios. Just because you have yet to see it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Catproofing is a must in some other countries where there would be concern about predation on pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

I had same problem put some small stakes in and wrapped thin clear fishing line around them they just could not work out what was stopping them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

From my experience the silent detectors don't work but this does & it's great fun for kids too.

http://catrepellentguide.com/water-cat-deterrents/contech-cro101-scarecrow-motion-activated-sprinkler/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

jimbev wrote: »
    I had same problem put some small stakes in and wrapped thin clear fishing line around them they just could not work out what was stopping them

+1

The answer is free and easy to doesnt involve chemicals

Get a load of sticks and cut with a 45 degree point and put them all over the beds. Cats don’t like the sticks and go else where

I havnt tried using fishing line in addition but im side it would be an added deterant

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I haven't tried it myself but vinegar around your flower bed is meant to keep cats away.
    It's acetic acid based so probably best not to spray it too close to your plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Cats! Eh ?

:(

Does the hose pipe ban apply when hosing down a cat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

You can ask the owners to put in cat litter boxes

If it's a small area you can fit PIR activated water sprayers

They work well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For protection from my own cats for my garden I used chicken wire when seeding, draped loosely over the beds. Soon gets hidden and works fine. Cat owners have this problem too! And newly dug earth is a lovely litter tray in their eyes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For protection from my own cats for my garden I used chicken wire when seeding, draped loosely over the beds. Soon gets hidden and works fine. Cat owners have this problem too! And newly dug earth is a lovely litter tray in their eyes :rolleyes:

In this new place I erected the dog crate over the new containers until the plants were big enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I used wooden skewers, the ones that you use in a bbq.
    Stick them into the ground at different angles with the spiky bit coming out of the ground about an inch and a half. You have to use a lot of them but it worked for me. A couple of quid for a 2 X 100 bag of them and all sorted. The cat can't sit down if you have them spaced properly.

Advertisement