Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Protection Insurance problems

• 26-06-2018 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there, Just wondering if anyone else is having problems getting Mortgage Protection Insurance at the moment. I'm trying with BOI and it seems like they are really nit-picking and looking for reasons not to give it to me. Another friend is currently having the same problem with another insurer. I'm just wondering if there's a general "crackdown". Its seems a bit weird as I'm a perfectly healthy 32 year old and they're being extremely cautious.
    Thanks.

Comments

A basic policy pays off the outstanding mortgage if you die within the specified term .......... it should be really simply to obtain that cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, have you tried other companies? Most of them will give you an online quote. It's basically just a term life policy with the lender's name noted on the policy. Try the various life companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

Yes I'm looking to other companies now. Under a bit of time pressure (yes I know, my own fault!). I was just wondering if there was some reason they were being difficult. They really did seem to be looking for reasons to delay/not give it - like give them one thing and they come up with another problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I was having difficulty with a few then New Ireland sorted me out. This can drag on and on and on so I'd keep chasing daily.

I was having difficulty with a few then New Ireland sorted me out. This can drag on and on and on so I'd keep chasing daily.
    Thanks. Yes it seems I'm doomed to spend my days on the phone chasing people until this house is bought! First world problems I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is the delay related to a medical issue?

Is the delay related to a medical issue?
    Yep - a very minor benign cyst I'm having removed for cosmetic reasons. Unfortunately bad timing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

sm171 wrote: »
    Yep - a very minor benign cyst I'm having removed for cosmetic reasons. Unfortunately bad timing.

One of those emotive words unfortunately.

The best advice is to engage with the medical people to provide whatever evidence the underwriters require as quickly as possible.

Having said that it's a p.i.t.a. and it's unlikely you'd get it done any quicker elsewhere.

Having said that it's a p.i.t.a. and it's unlikely you'd get it done any quicker elsewhere.
    Yeah I'm trying. My GP is being less than responsive too unfortunately and GDPR is now in the mix also! :(
    What's p.i.t.a?

Yeah I'm trying. My GP is being less than responsive too unfortunately and GDPR is now in the mix also! :(
    What's p.i.t.a?

Pain in the ass.

p.s. Your G.P. is getting paid for any reports they provide. Sit on them.

• Advertisement

Got sorted today! Advice for anyone reading this in future - be careful what medical procedures/check-ups you get done or schedule just before looking for mortgage protection! Even just GP visits because its all recorded and can be requested.

Got sorted today! Advice for anyone reading this in future - be careful what medical procedures/check-ups you get done or schedule just before looking for mortgage protection! Even just GP visits because its all recorded and can be requested.
    Also - you shouldn't be smoking or drinking more than 6 units of alcohol a week! ;)

Advertisement