Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dad has passed away and I am trying to change the name on his account to my name

Options
  • 26-06-2018 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My Dad passed away in February. I have paid his account up to date.  I am trying to get the name on his Eir account changed to my name and my direct debit details and I am happy to sign any documentation.   I am told you can't change the name and the account will have to be cancelled and set up as a new account and the service will be disconnected for up to 10 days.  I can't be without the service for 10 days (I need it for work), so are you now forcing me to go to a competitor and get their service set up before yours is cancelled?  It seems crazy, I want to stay with Eir but you are making it impossible.  Is there anyone there who can think outside the box and for the sake of saving a customer, and yourselves some unnecessary work? I would imagine it is hard enough to get customers nowadays as the market is so competitive. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

I'm sorry to hear this. You have 3 options you can do this:

Option 1: Eir - You will have to contact Eir and send them a death certificate as evidence. I'm not sure if they will have to cancel account or will offer you change of ownership details and bank details. After seeing threads like this I feel somewhat skeptical about this option even if it's official by process option. Going to Eir branch may also yield results.

Option 2: Carphone Warehouse - You could pop into your local Carphone store, try to explain situation and show your ID and death certificate. They have access to Eir systems and can change account holder name, address and banking details within 5 minutes. The only problem they shouldn't be doing this, so it depends on who you will get whenever they agree or refuse you.

Option 3: Competitor - Going to someone else is viable solution if you don't want to be affected much because competitor will make sure your service transitions smoothly, old account gets closed automatically, your number ports without issues if requested, and you can give your own name and bank details when moving to competitor. You are only required to know your current account number, original owner ID is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 n3lly

@summer02

I wrote a full post only 8 hours ago about this exact topic but boards.ie booted me due to inactivity and I lost my entire post. I'm going to repost my question to eir in a separate thread so that this issue gets more air time. I'm in exactly the same position. It's a disgrace, hopefully they'll improve their processes with the additional attention these posts bring.

Keeping my fingers crossed they sort this out sooner than later for you.

Steven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

summer02 wrote: »
    My Dad passed away in February. I have paid his account up to date.  I am trying to get the name on his Eir account changed to my name and my direct debit details and I am happy to sign any documentation.   I am told you can't change the name and the account will have to be cancelled and set up as a new account and the service will be disconnected for up to 10 days.  I can't be without the service for 10 days (I need it for work), so are you now forcing me to go to a competitor and get their service set up before yours is cancelled?  It seems crazy, I want to stay with Eir but you are making it impossible.  Is there anyone there who can think outside the box and for the sake of saving a customer, and yourselves some unnecessary work? I would imagine it is hard enough to get customers nowadays as the market is so competitive. 
    Hi summer02 ,

I'm very sorry for your loss and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you email accountchange@eir.ie they will have this looked into.

They will be in touch with you once you send them an email.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 13 summer02

Hi summer02 ,

I'm very sorry for your loss and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you email accountchange@eir.ie they will have this looked into.

They will be in touch with you once you send them an email.

Thanks

Thomas
    Thanks for getting back to me Thomas, but I am reluctant to put anything in writing in case I get cut off.  Unless someone from Eir can guarantee me a contract change/renewal with no break in service I think I'll follow RobiePAX's advice and try a CPW store and failing that, go to a competitor and get them set up before I officially end Dad's contract with Eir.  Even if you can't help me, might be worth asking the powers that be to put some sort of process in place for situations like this. Losing your loved one is stressful enough without this sort of nonsense and it might help somebody else. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 summer02

n3lly wrote: »
    @summer02

I wrote a full post only 8 hours ago about this exact topic but boards.ie booted me due to inactivity and I lost my entire post. I'm going to repost my question to eir in a separate thread so that this issue gets more air time. I'm in exactly the same position. It's a disgrace, hopefully they'll improve their processes with the additional attention these posts bring.

Steven
    Sorry to hear that Steven.  Hope you get sorted, and even if they don't look after us, at least they might make a change to help people in future. Dealing with this sort of thing is not easy when you are dealing with grief also. 

• Registered Users Posts: 39 n3lly

n3lly wrote: »
    @summer02

Steven
    Sorry to hear that Steven.  Hope you get sorted, and even if they don't look after us, at least they might make a change to help people in future. Dealing with this sort of thing is not easy when you are dealing with grief also. 

Right back at you Summer, it's the exact reason I wrote my post on here too.

Good luck with getting the change to happen.

Take care

Advertisement